Credit Card - Help & Recommendations

El Tigre Chino

3 hours ago, SuperT said:

If you like to travel once in a while why not go for something like Axis Magnus/Infinia/Amex Plat Travel ? 

You can checkout Axis Ace for cashback. 

Dont have spends to justify magnus infina and no amex in my area.

Axis ace works on android only(5% utility) and im on ios :sleep:

3 hours ago, R1shabh said:

I have a 42K Medical expense monthly. I am currently paying via UPI but pressurising merchant to allow me to pay via HDFC DCB CC so that I can roll the money more effectively and get some rewards points.

DCB offers 5 rewards points for every 150 rs, Is there any other card in market which I can target? Asking @KunjanPSD and other specifically. 

The merchant is resisting with 2% charges, I gave him an earful with RBI's link. Have to buy from him (only reseller), any other "innovative" way to solve this? I can still recover 1% from rewards points as such. 

2% is obnoxious and if the merchant accepts CC then she/he is not supposed to charge extra for it, obviously it doesn't pan out in reality. Try to haggle and get it to 1%.

You can get Magnus (4.8% RR in terms of airmiles with 1 Mile = 1Re assumption). But then again, you have to decide if airmiles makes sense for you or not.

Otherwise DCB gets you 1Re/point on smartbuy bookings.

Ask the merchant about the MCC code, if it is not one of the exclusions in SBI cashback then you can use that instead.

16 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

2% is obnoxious and if the merchant accepts CC then she/he is not supposed to charge extra for it, obviously it doesn't pan out in reality. Try to haggle and get it to 1%.

You can get Magnus (4.8% RR in terms of airmiles with 1 Mile = 1Re assumption). But then again, you have to decide if airmiles makes sense for you or not.

Otherwise DCB gets you 1Re/point on smartbuy bookings.

Ask the merchant about the MCC code, if it is not one of the exclusions in SBI cashback then you can use that instead.

Ok thanks. I will look up MCC. Was also thinking about getting a RuPay card. Heard we can make transactions to UPI without a charge using it.

17 minutes ago, R1shabh said:

Ok thanks. I will look up MCC. Was also thinking about getting a RuPay card. Heard we can make transactions to UPI without a charge using it.

Reward points are capped in this case. Do check the TnC.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, b!T said:

I am kind of irritated with Niyo. Got a debit card couple of weeks ago for my trip next month and they stopped all international transactions citing an RBI rule. Now have to get the credit card but I think it's limit is capped at the FD amount you put.

I used it internationally in Singapore and Vietnam in the last 6 month period and it was fantastic but international transactions is the only utility for me personally. 

I just noticed they've been stopped completely - was trying to make a transaction right now. 

Whats the new solution? Either the credit card or the Fi card, but I think there is a caveat with either option right?

Edited by North

16 hours ago, North said:

I used it internationally in Singapore and Vietnam in the last 6 month period and it was fantastic but international transactions is the only utility for me personally. 

I just noticed they've been stopped completely - was trying to make a transaction right now. 

Whats the new solution? Either the credit card or the Fi card, but I think there is a caveat with either option right?

I honestly haven't figured out what's the alternative. Fi Plus plans are one alternative or get the Niyo credit card with a lakh FD so you have a decent limit of a Lakh to work with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, b!T said:

I honestly haven't figured out what's the alternative. Fi Plus plans are one alternative or get the Niyo credit card with a lakh FD so you have a decent limit of a Lakh to work with.

10k or 50k MAB accounts on Fi give zero forex. Honestly, not a bad deal. 

• Thanks 1

There are better alternatives than the zero forex cards. Even a LTF IDFC Wealth card will give you a few 0.xx% back after the forex fees. And many other cards will make even more. And no issue of having to load the card/block cash etc. And better dispute handling/loss protection which is even more important for foreign transactions.

3 hours ago, Shantz said:

There are better alternatives than the zero forex cards. Even a LTF IDFC Wealth card will give you a few 0.xx% back after the forex fees. And many other cards will make even more. And no issue of having to load the card/block cash etc. And better dispute handling/loss protection which is even more important for foreign transactions.

True.

A paid decent CC can get you much more. Obviously mileage varies.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:29 PM, Shantz said:

sbi cashback gives a flat 1.2% after the forex fees (online transactions only) using it on linode currently

On 4/3/2023 at 6:29 PM, Shantz said:

HDFC Infinia/DCB/Regalia had a Global Value Program I don't know if is still active these days. One had to enroll for it and pay R.s 100/200 I think and there was a welcome bonus and 1% cashback on international transactions both online/offline. 

7 minutes ago, SuperT said:

HDFC Infinia/DCB/Regalia had a Global Value Program I don't know if is still active these days. One had to enroll for it and pay R.s 100/200 I think and there was a welcome bonus and 1% cashback on international transactions both online/offline. 

Still available. 300+GST a year, 1% extra cashback upto 1000/month i.e. 1L spends a month.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rushab oswal said:

sbi cashback gives a flat 1.2% after the forex fees (online transactions only) using it on linode currently

Cashback card has 3.5% markup + GST, total markup = 4.13%

5% cashback, net = 0.87%

You won't get cashback on markup + GST and if you are getting it, I wonder how long it will last.

• 2 weeks later...