Jump to content

Credit Card - Help & Recommendations


El Tigre Chino
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SuperT said:

DCB acceptance is pretty poor. Just a few examples I have noticed over the past few months - Zepto/Blinkit/Tata1MG/Zara&MassimoDutti are some of the online platforms. And so many offline merchants who don’t accept DCB. Got rejected so many times at chemists and superstores. 

For Blinkit, just buy vouchers from Smartbuy and use it. You'll get bonus RPs.

Works for H&M, M&S. Maybe Zara and the others don't accept it.

Offline merchants are definitely not gonna accept. DCB is actually better than Amex though.

That's why I got Citi.

Put the big purchases like travel, utilities, insurance, dining and electronics on DCB, rest on Citi. It's a hassle to segregate though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

I floated that same idea to my RM. Told him that I will create an FD from the funds I keep in my savings.

He went to his supervisor and his supervisor went to the CC associate.

They declined it.

Asked my RM for a reason, he didn’t say anything useful. Then I asked a friend of my mine works in HDFC (not CC division) and he told me that this happens because bank is making more money from the funds you have in your savings as compared to FDR and hence they don’t provide cards if balance is shifting from savings.

 

But anyway, card isn’t important to me. I am only trying to get what they promised me when I graduated but now I am not following up on that, too much effort, will just use Citi and take whatever I can get.

 

Oh okay . Seriously man your RM/CC associate are no good in this case.  

Two of my friends have Infinia card because their accounts are older 8/10 years . And its lifetime free with a limit of 13L . Their overall spends during all this time is somewhere around 15L. Their behaviour makes no sense as they will probably lose a good customer like you.  CASA ratio is very important to banks and it will suffer . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

 

Oh okay . Seriously man your RM/CC associate are no good in this case.  

Two of my friends have Infinia card because their accounts are older 8/10 years . And its lifetime free with a limit of 13L . Their overall spends during all this time is somewhere around 15L. Their behaviour makes no sense as they will probably lose a good customer like you.  CASA ratio is very important to banks and it will suffer . 

The employer matters quite a bit in this I think. I used to work for an MNC and easily got Regalia LTF and bunch of other cards easily. Now I work in a startup and my colleagues struggle to get the same cards even though their salaries are more than 2x of what mine was when I got those cards. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

The employer matters quite a bit in this I think. I used to work for an MNC and easily got Regalia LTF and bunch of other cards easily. Now I work in a startup and my colleagues struggle to get the same cards even though their salaries are more than 2x of what mine was when I got those cards. 

Very true.

DCB is available for people of certain MNCs with 75k net salary, while they asked me for atleast 1.75L.

 

Although my case is different because I am applying via their Premier Institutes association program.

Major problem is the pay structure, these HDFC guys only look at monthly net while many companies offer annual guaranteed bonuses and esops, especially startups.

 

That wasn't a problem in my case though, for me, it's just a bunch of dickheads.

 

Citi handles this much better by looking at annual gross.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

 

Oh okay . Seriously man your RM/CC associate are no good in this case.  

Two of my friends have Infinia card because their accounts are older 8/10 years . And its lifetime free with a limit of 13L . Their overall spends during all this time is somewhere around 15L. Their behaviour makes no sense as they will probably lose a good customer like you.  CASA ratio is very important to banks and it will suffer . 

They probably got Infinia atleast a couple years ago.

Back then the eligibility criteria wasn't this stupid. I know many people who are earning equivalent to me and hold Infinia LTFs.

They keep raising the eligibility while devaluating the card itself. Today's Infinia is equivalent to 2017/2018's Regalia.

 

HDFC is still my one and only bank account though. I will see what I can do because these guys don't value loyalty and relationship. So probably just better to stop keeping as many funds in savings and keep Regalia hanging around, unused to build up credit length and possibility of future upgrade.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

For Blinkit, just buy vouchers from Smartbuy and use it. You'll get bonus RPs.

Works for H&M, M&S. Maybe Zara and the others don't accept it.

Offline merchants are definitely not gonna accept. DCB is actually better than Amex though.

That's why I got Citi.

Put the big purchases like travel, utilities, insurance, dining and electronics on DCB, rest on Citi. It's a hassle to segregate though.

Nope. Having used both, I can safely say Amex acceptability is much much better at least in Delhi/NCR. Even online almost all platforms support Amex. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

With the use of new touch screen card machines, AMEX acceptability has improved drastically. 

THIS. Pinelabs touch screen network is almost in every shop now. Hence, Amex by default is accepted almost everywhere at least in the metros. 

Same is not the case with DC unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SuperT said:

THIS. Pinelabs touch screen network is almost in every shop now. Hence, Amex by default is accepted almost everywhere at least in the metros. 

Same is not the case with DC unfortunately. 

Pinelabs doesn't decide if a merchant uses Amex or not.

The merchant decides it ex: Zara. Because the merchant has to pay the network fees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Pinelabs doesn't decide if a merchant uses Amex or not.

The merchant decides it ex: Zara. Because the merchant has to pay the network fees.

But strangely since the time Pinelab touch machines have started popping up, shops have started accepting Amex for some reason. For example my local chemist earlier never accepted Amex when he had a HDFC machine but suddenly because of Pinelabs he now takes my Amex card as well. Maybe because earlier Amex was not an option with other machines and Pinelabs has Amex ? Anyway point being Amex is much better compared to DC. 

Edited by SuperT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, SuperT said:

But strangely since the time Pinelab touch machines have started popping up, shops have started accepting Amex for some reason. For example my local chemist earlier never accepted Amex when he had a HDFC machine but suddenly because of Pinelabs he now takes my Amex card as well. Maybe because earlier Amex was not an option with other machines and Pinelabs has Amex ? Anyway point being Amex is much better compared to DC. 

Maybe, though having worked at one of these network companies before I don't see how PineLabs would make the acceptance better . Amex used to charge double of Visa and MasterCard. Inline with DCB.

Unless PineLabs is footing the extra charge, no way these small merchants will go for Amex.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Madmage said:

Amex takes 3 percent and abovec which is ridiculous for chemist and low margin retail

Anywhere between 2.5-3.5%, although you can expect even 2.2%.

Visa and MC generally quote 1.5-2.5, haven't seen many instances where it was above 1.5% during my tenure.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Madmage said:

Amex takes 3 percent and abovec which is ridiculous for chemist and low margin retail

Chemists do not have low margins, quite the opposite if I'm not mistaken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, iamX said:

Chemists do not have low margins, quite the opposite if I'm not mistaken.

Agreed. My chemist who we buy from regularly gives a 10-15% discount every time depending on the amount. 2-3% will not pinch him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did some calculations.

Gonna put all expenses from now on Citi PM and hope to upgrade later to Prestige and get good conversion for Airmiles.

 

If hypothetically I had DCB, would have only used it in case I am able to take advantage of Smartbuy (5x/10x) and break my transactions so I can hit daily bonus caps on multiple (atleast 2) days.

 

Gonna require some planning but gonna get a much better value than my current Regalia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Itni to maine shaadi main planning nahi ki thi. :fear1:

Lol.

But if done right my expenses will get a 5-10% reward rate.

Honestly, you can say that I have too much time on my hands and this is just a new hobby that I am pursuing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 11:54 AM, SuperT said:

Nope. Having used both, I can safely say Amex acceptability is much much better at least in Delhi/NCR. Even online almost all platforms support Amex. 

Add Lenskart to the list of platforms that don't accept DC but accept Amex. At this rate I will never be able to accumulate spends on DC :wallbash:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...