Sony buys Insomniac games.

52 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

I believe that losing money on every console argument is misleading. A lot of companies follow an average cost price model, where they lose money in the initial years bit eventually it evens out.

Console makers could very well be using that model, though I'm just taking a guess here.

Not to forget, the moolah earned from PS Plus subs, ehich is directly proportional to the boxes they sell.

57 minutes ago, AnK said:

But since Marvel no longer has access to Spider-Man in MCU 

Will Sony have exclusive access to it’s Video Game?!?

wasn't it a give & take arrangement 

If true then obviously there wont be any sequel to Insomniac’s version 

Not necessarily. Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive Entertainment are different. And Spiderman Video Game was by far the most successful video game adaptation of any of Disney's Properties, completely beating the likes of games developed by EA etc. Disney might test the waters with both Square Enix (Avengers Game) and EA (Star Wars), but ultimately, if they fail to out-perform Sony's Spiderman, they will just get back to Sony for it. True, we might see some stalling from Disney as a negotiation tactic for a while though.

After all, Disney has no Video Game experience. They have to depend on 3rd parties to manufacture those. And there are no emotions in business (Unlike among fans). Disney will ultimately do what it feels is best for it's share-holders.

1 hour ago, AnK said:

But since Marvel no longer has access to Spider-Man in MCU 

Will Sony have exclusive access to it’s Video Game?!?

wasn't it a give & take arrangement 

If true then obviously there wont be any sequel to Insomniac’s version 

They said that a multi year deal was signed during the first game so it's definitely not a one and done deal. 

I get the feeling that Sony suspected they might get into a bidding war with Disney for Insomniac after they pulled Spidey from MCU. They had two decades to buy Insomniac but they didn't because either parties were happy with them being independent. Disney definitely would've used Insomniac and Spider-man 2 as a leverage to bring Sony Pictures back to the table.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:54 AM, triggr happy ss said:

Everyone knew it will happen, except for fanboys here.

Oh Sony will never do it, that's what sells consoles bullshit ?.

They are just setting the narrative for the future when they will eventually end up releasing each and every game on the PC.

Hope you are not expecting to play the next God of War or Spider-man on PC. He's most likely talking about games like Dreams. Sony's never going to release their blockbuster games on PC at least not for the next gen.

8 hours ago, Mystique_Myth said:

Hope you are not expecting to play the next God of War or Spider-man on PC. He's most likely talking about games like Dreams. Sony's never going to release their blockbuster games on PC at least not for the next gen.

Never say never.

But if they do end up releasing on PC it'll be EGS exclusive for sure. And that'll kick up more fanboy dust than people with PS consoles.

10 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Never say never.

But if they do end up releasing on PC it'll be EGS exclusive for sure. And that'll kick up more fanboy dust than people with PS consoles.

They really don't need to though. Their blockbuster single player exclusives sell very well already. They already have 5 10 million+ sellers this gen with Death Stranding, GoT and TLOU2 yet to release. They don't exactly need PC. 

And if Sony start to take PC seriously, I think they would start their own storefront. 

10 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Never say never.

Problem with that is Playstation is one of the most profitable divisions of entire Sony WW Studios. They literally cannot afford to have PS Fail. Unlike MS with Windows they don't have much to fallback on.

And frankly, I hope it never happens. So long as Sony is interested in selling consoles, you will see high budget SP games like they are meant to be. The moment Sony gives up on PS and starts depending on game sales, you will start seeing GAAS Titles, MTX and other such sh*t. Because ultimately those are what's profitable for game sales (But unprofitable for console sales).

QD Games, Until Dawn Type Games, Indies and low budget games like Journey etc. can go to PC. Because once released and some 1 month passes, they lose their value. Hence you even see them on PS+. But high budget ones like new GOW games and all, no I just don't want them on PC as of now. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AnK said:

What if the future is not consoles 

but streaming 

in that case Sony has no choice but to become a Service provider instead of a machine provider 

I think they are setting the table for that 

by bringing PSN to PC 

In that case get ready for either of 2 things -

Either Sony starts it's own competing streaming service, and you get games like GOW over there. This will once again fragment the market, like how people have to subscribe to Netflix, Prime, Hotstar etc. separately.

Or as I said in my last post, get ready for games to have MTX, GAAS elements etc. because Sony will then develop games once in a while and will want games to last as long as possible to generate maximum revenue. That's the fate of 90% of big 3rd party publishers who make big budget games and depend on Shareholders for investments (CDPR is one of the exceptions - for now)

And as far as we in India are concerned, you better hope we have a data center nearby. And that we get an ISP who knows what ping/latency is and provides low latency connection. Because if we have to depend on servers abroad, you will experience input lag, which will make your experience significantly worse. And even more horrible if you want to play MP on top of the already bad service just to run the game.

I played WoW on EU servers, both in India and when I traveled to the UK some years ago. There is a heaven and hell difference between the quality of gameplay. Even though I played on a powerful desktop here and a halfway decent laptop there, gameplay was amazing with data center nearby. Here, it was horrible in comparison.

23 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

I get the feeling that Sony suspected they might get into a bidding war with Disney for Insomniac after they pulled Spidey from MCU. They had two decades to buy Insomniac but they didn't because either parties were happy with them being independent. Disney definitely would've used Insomniac and Spider-man 2 as a leverage to bring Sony Pictures back to the table.

Not only Disney but Google is a real threat too.

I totally see Google trying to buy Bungie