Yakuza Remastered Collection

roun90

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I've been playing Yakuza 5 for about 20 hours now and just reached the part with Akiyama. I had a lot of hopes pinned to this title considering the scope of the whole game, but till this point, I'm disappointed with it's narrative. Yakuza 4 had me totally hooked right from the beginning to the end. This game, for some reason, doesn't seem to have the pace that 4 did. Saejima's story being the worst offender. His previous storyline at least made sense, but this one just seems to be completely absurd. Kiryu's start was OK I guess. Each time I feel like there will be a boss fight, it ends up me fighting horde of enemies.

I didn't find the locale changes to be that appealing to be honest. I liked Kamurocho and Sotenbori. Kiryu's map is fine, but Saejima's area is truly awful with so many invisible blockades and you can't even cross the street mid-way. On top of that, the over-the-top crowd density means you'll be bumping into literally everyone on the street. Then there's the constant random fight encounters. I swear this game has so many of them and it's placed literally a few steps apart from each other. With Saejima, I was on my way to complete a sub-story and found myself in 3 back-to-back random street encounters and it got extremely annoying. I like the addition of the restaurant food skill boosts that you can receive if you complete Tatsuya's gourmet training. It's good to have an additional layer of health bar on your player. 

Can't believe I'm saying this but I Haruka's story arc turned out to be the most engaging for me till now (:P). Her gameplay is largely rhythm based but the main storyline and sub-stories are quite fun. Don't like the twist that just happened, but let's see how the story progresses. Hope the build up leads to a redeeming finale. *fingers crossed*

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Done with Yakuza 5. I had wrapped up the main storyline a week back and managed to complete all the sub stories, side stories, maxed out all characters, hostess stories and Master trainings in Premium adventure. Beat the Amon last night and ooh boy, it was a breeze for almost every character except Kiryu. He always seems to get the most annoying Amon in every game. Glad it's over now. 

I'll just say this very briefly that I was disappointed with the main storyline of this game; it was so convoluted, underwhelming and dragged out. In fact, I'll be honest and say that everything I mentioned above that I did apart from the main storyline had me more engaged and invested in the game. The amount of content this game offered was insane. I mean this is the first game that has a main storyline and sub stories, but they went a step further and added side stories, which essentially have their own mini-main storylines and connected side missions. I know it's feels very complex as I'm framing them, but believe me, as soon as you start playing them, you'll understand what I mean. 

In conclusion, I think the main storyline was average and forgettable (possibly the weakest in the Remastered collection), but everything else was really good. I'm going to instantly move onto Yakuza 6 now as I need to finish Kiryu's saga; it's been long overdue. First time playing Yakuza tittles back-to-back, wish me luck. :P 

Done with Yakuza 5 main story and the remastered collection. Pretty weak story line for Saijema and that baseball guy, and they were pretty much getting on my nerves. Haruka storyline was the best followed by kiryu only because of that 1 man army scene and driving taxi by following all driving rules:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...