Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Heaven Angel

33 minutes ago, Shadoken said:

I think Sega wants to experiment because Persona 5 beat Yakuza in sales. 

But imo i feel like that is happening because Yakuza story is like a Japanese crime drama while persona is like an Anime. In the west Anime is more popular.

I feel like its fine because we have got so much Yakuza games that I can give it a break. Maybe if they can find a new audience with it they can make the franchise more popular.

They literally said it's because they just wanted to try something new for once. And that they are ready to revert back to the traditional action brawler if it's not liked by fans.

And they are not going for just a "normal" turn based game. This is the first time where we are having turn-based combat paired with realistic graphics in present day instead of the anime art-style or the fantasy/sci-fi artstyle of Final Fantasy. And they are trying to add tons of new things to the combat to make it unique. For example -

From Source

That’s not to say this will be a traditional turn-based system. The interview also states players will have to keep aware of their surroundings, as nearby objects and vehicles can be used on the fly to influence scraps. “[Fights] will be controlled by factors surrounding things in real-time. For example, if there are trash cans or bicycles nearby then can use them to attack by kicking them. If a car passes by they can be run over, so you’ll need to assess your surroundings.”

Other highlights from the interview? Ichiban has a squad of friends he can give jobs to, you can assign various pieces of equipment to different parts of his body, and the map contains areas populated by ultra tough enemies that can only be defeated once you reach a certain level.

Just to be super clear here, Like a Dragon’s battle system is completely bananas. The interface is reminiscent of Persona 5, with top-level categories spinning out on one side of the screen before you dive into sub-menus, but the combat plays out in real time, and special attacks can be as elaborate as anything you’ve seen in more fantastical RPGs. One devastating technique involves your homeless buddy launching himself into the air, taking a swig of god-knows-what from a bottle, and raining down hellfire on your unfortunate gangster opponents. Kasuga’s RPG infatuation also occasionally causes him to view regular human enemies as distorted, hulking monsters, much to his friends’ confusion.

I’m sure there will still be people who are disappointed at the move to what is essentially turn-based combat, but Like a Dragon’s battles feel as dynamic as the series has ever been. The camera shifts smoothly from party members to combatants with cinematic framing, and everything plays out quickly so that the transitions from exploration to battles don’t feel jarring. Today’s demo wasn’t anywhere near enough time to evaluate the depth of the system, but I’m optimistic that it’ll be a fun new twist on Yakuza combat.

This is also going to be the longest Yakuza game, with main story itself being double the time of the usual Yakuza games:

The other big headline news from the interview is that Yakuza 7 could apparently be twice as long as previous entries in the series. “The total play time will be longer than the past. It will take more than double the main story alone.” Past Yakuza titles were hardly short, so Kaz’s latest could be damn near life-swallowing. 

Source: 1) https://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-7-devs-explain-the-new-combat-system-say-it-could-be-twice-the-length-of-previous-games/ 

2) https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/12/20862187/yakuza-7-like-a-dragon-hands-on-tgs-2019

And they are also putting in new mini-games, that were never in the series before:

There are plenty of other surprises, like Mario Kart-style go-karts, writing tests and a don't-fall-asleep-in-the-movie-theater game.

Sourcehttps://www.engadget.com/2019/09/12/yakuza-7-gameplay-trailer-tokyo-game-show/

(My Personal Opinion: Would love to see a don't fall asleep in a movie-theater game; heck I don't even know how that can be a game)

From what it looks like to me, it seems that the devs are just having fun and letting their creativity flow. And generally, when such things happen - you get games of such quality that they can be categorized as "Legendary" and can be some of the most memorable games played in a life-time. And when the opposite happens (just fill a check-list and keep doing the same things again and again) - the game goes anywhere from "Good" to "Mediocre".

Nowhere is anything said about SEGA influencing anything or forcing anyone to do anything. From what I understand, RGG Games are wildly popular in Japan and it would be in fact harmful for SEGA to change the game's formula or force the devs to do something they don't want

8 hours ago, Shadoken said:

Also Yakuza coming to Xbox now ...wtf!!!

Might as well. We might even get Yakuza earlier on PC in this case - so it's a win. Though I doubt there is any audience for Yakuza games on the console proper - and I see this as a move to bring Yakuza series to gamepass more than anything. And those games are old, and already plenty discounted on both PSN and Steam - so it might be a good way for SEGA/RGG to earn more revenue.

Am fine with it, so long as they don't try to make Yakuza exclusive to Xbox or MS doesn't try to money-hat timed exclusivity/exclusive features on Yakuza for Xbox like they did with Japanese games during the entire PS3/X360 gen.

10 hours ago, Shadoken said:

Hmm thats true , I guess in that sense Yakuza makes more money for them than Persona. In the span of Persona 3,4,5 we got over 10 Yakuza games.

Also Yakuza coming to Xbox now ...wtf!!!

Yes sir all games on Game pass for 1$.

Plus all FF games and KH games too :D

2 hours ago, roun90 said:

Am fine with it, so long as they don't try to make Yakuza exclusive to Xbox or MS doesn't try to money-hat timed exclusivity/exclusive features on Yakuza for Xbox like they did with Japanese games during the entire PS3/X360 gen.

So you are worried about MS when Sony has done the same thing this entire generation? 

11 hours ago, triggr happy ss said:

So you are worried about MS when Sony has done the same thing this entire generation? 

???

When did Sony Money hat any exclusive this gen - away from MS? If anything, it was MS who did that - both during 360 gen and this gen. 360 gen right from big titles like GTA 4 DLC (50 million dollars for 6 month timed exclusivity) to smaller Japanese games like Star Ocean 4 etc.

This gen in games like Rise of Tomb Raider.

Can't think of any instance this gen where Sony specifically paid money to devs to keep games out of Xbox this gen - like you're claiming. In fact the only 3rd party exclusives Sony has are either Japanese Games - which don't sell on Xbox anyway (MS abandoned it's Japanese game support mid 360 gen due to this reason), Sony 1st parties or very small indies which might not even count as exclusives like Flower, Journey or some such.

Edited by roun90

There are not a lot of 3rd party exclusives in general. 

Off the top of my head Sony paid money to keep FF7R,SFV . MS did the same for Tomb Raider.

Yakuza was exclusive because it used to sell 80% in Japan and Xbox is dead there. If you sell exclusively on PS , Sony charges developers lesser licensing fee. So obviously that reduction alone is more than how much revenue Xbox will bring in. 

But this generation Yakuza has become very popular in the west , almost 50% of Yakuza sales is from US/EU. So thats probably why we are seeing it on Xbox and PC.

If Nintendo made a system that was as powerful as PS4,XB1. Sony would have either started paying for Yakuza or it would have gone multiplatform. Sony basically has no direct competitor in Japan so thats why you get a lot of "free" exclusives.

As for Persona 5 , Sega wants Atlus to bring it to other platforms. But Atlus don't seem very keen on making ports of their games , and Sega probably dont want to force them. A lot of Japanese AA companies are kinda like that.

Edited by Shadoken

12 hours ago, roun90 said:

???

When did Sony Money hat any exclusive this gen - away from MS? If anything, it was MS who did that - both during 360 gen and this gen. 360 gen right from big titles like GTA 4 DLC (50 million dollars for 6 month timed exclusivity) to smaller Japanese games like Star Ocean 4 etc.

This gen in games like Rise of Tomb Raider.

Can't think of any instance this gen where Sony specifically paid money to devs to keep games out of Xbox this gen - like you're claiming. In fact the only 3rd party exclusives Sony has are either Japanese Games - which don't sell on Xbox anyway (MS abandoned it's Japanese game support mid 360 gen due to this reason), Sony 1st parties or very small indies which might not even count as exclusives like Flower, Journey or some such.

SFV, FF7 REMAKE. List is long. MS just ROTR

Old TR games were money  hatted by Sony to prevent release on Nintendo consoles. 

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

SFV, FF7 REMAKE. List is long. MS just ROTR

Old TR games were money  hatted by Sony to prevent release on Nintendo consoles. 

FF7 is more like Sony's exit condition from SE. In case you remember - Sony had saved SE from bankruptcy by purchasing SE's shares. And FF7 was the one game where Sony had exclusivity from beginning. So the (timed) exclusivity would most probably be a relic of a contract from that time. Not to mention, Sony would have funded and marketed the game, considering SE was stupid enough to not see the remake demand for so long (despite fans literally begging at their feet - especially after the trailer at PS3 launch)SF5 I will concede. Though that is a miserable game without any oversight from Sony's part at all and without much quality I guess as well. 

Thanks for reminding me of these 2. Though it's only 2 and not a "long list". In contrast, if we compare MS from 360 gen - GTA 4 DLC, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Planet, Bully Scholarship Edition, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, Witcher 2 and many more. These are all just the tip of the ice-berg, and all are 3rd party - which MS paid to keep out of PS3. Some of them are even EA and Rockstar titles.

They are better this gen - but it's more due to their policies changing to focus more on Gamepass and other services than on selling consoles. So I really doubt what @triggr happy ss said - of Sony money-hatting exclusives from MS this entire gen is in any way accurate.

I play on all platforms - including the Xbox One X (which I think is an absolutely beautiful piece of hardware)( I played RDR2, DMC 5 and SOTR on One X) I also really appreciate the Gamepass initiative - which I think is an absolutely great value for money.

But I have to give credit where it's due though. Fact is, MS Xbox division paid their way throughout the 360 gen while Sony spent their entire time creating and experimenting with new and old 1st and 2nd party IPs like Uncharted, Last of Us, Resistance, Infamous, Burnout, Killzone etc. And all that led to this gen. MS Windows Division cut off the Xbox division from bleeding money - so Xbox One has hardly any games, as 3rd parties don't do exclusives for free. Meanwhile Sony's experiments with the PS3 gen led to some long-lasting new IPs that will always support the Playstation consoles without them needing to pay 3rd parties. I just hope that MS doesn't go back to that old mind-set again.

Edited by roun90

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loved it. You guys are right - it's absolutely crazy. Loved the details like opening the exam results very slowly, being absolutely scared and absolute party when results are satisfactory (Absolute reminder of my school/college days lol). Also absolutely happy to see Kiryu and Majima back. Kiryu's ending in Yakuza 6 was absolute sh*t and he deserves a far better ending.

Also Kaoru Sayama really needs to come back to Kiryu's life, and this is the perfect opportunity. 

14 hours ago, roun90 said:

Also absolutely happy to see Kiryu and Majima back. Kiryu's ending in Yakuza 6 was absolute sh*t and he deserves a far better ending.

Also Kaoru Sayama really needs to come back to Kiryu's life, and this is the perfect opportunity. 

I would not keep my hopes up. As far as I know Kiryu and Majima are just "summons" in this game. You get powerful summons by doing side stories and then using your cell phone can call them to aid in battles. 

Arenas and Dungeons to be included in Yakuza 7

Arenas:

Players can look forward to engaging in unique and challenging battles in the Sotenbori Battle Arena — a secret underground battle ring hosted in the underbelly of a construction building in Osaka's colorful Sotenbori entertainment district. Making their way through the venues 30 floors, players will find themselves facing increasingly powerful enemies, unique battle scenarios, such as constantly taking poison damage during a fight, the Sotenbori Battle Arena will test the mettle of Kasuga and his crew. Clearing each floor will offer rewards, including unique rewards only obtainable through these events.

ss-060.jpg

Dungeons

Dungeons will appear as secret underground passages that Kasuga and friends must use to infiltrate enemy headquarters as players progress through the story. After clearing story events within the enemy headquarters, players will also have access to the dungeon, and their powerful inhabitants, to level up characters, collect weapons, items, and materials for their continuing adventures.

Each dungeon will host unique enemies to encounter members of the various organizations which will stand in Kasuga's way. Additional rare enemies, including escaped prisoners and degenerates, will also appear, offering a serious challenge to the player's party along the way. A great variety of bosses await in dungeon battles, including fights with a squad of human characters, or even an excavator.

ss-069.jpg

While crawling through these dangerous dungeons, players may happen upon discarded safes and attache cases, which will hold various items and equipment. Attache cases will only hold one item, but may also hold EXP bonuses. Safes, on the other hand, will hold more items, in addition to rarer items, but will require keys to open. Players may also find safes that hold a nasty trap, including a tough enemy encounter, so be sure to watch your party's health before opening a safe to pilfer its precious possessions. Taking the time to obtain the valuables in these dungeons will offer a boon to Kasuga's party, and serve as a chance to obtain weapons and items which can't be purchased from any of the stores found elsewhere in the game.

ss-068.jpg

Text and Images taken directly from Sourcehttp://www.rpgfan.com/news/2020/10031.html

The game keeps sounding better and better to me.

• 1 month later...

Yakuza 7 has some of the best RPG combat in a long time

What keeps battles from feeling static is how everyone moves around all the time. Unlike JRPGs with pseudo movement, positioning matters a lot here. While you can't move characters yourself, it's worth waiting for enemies to cluster as many special attacks can hit more than one target. On the other hand, a cluster of enemies means one of them may interfere when you try to get at their buddy. If Ichiban is close to a weapon, like a traffic cone or a bicycle, he'll pick it up and use it automatically. Guarding is crucial - pressing circle the moment an opponent's attack hits saves you from quite a bit of damage. Overall, combat seldom takes long - it's possibly even quicker than Yakuza's previous beat-em'-up-style street battles.

• Heaven Angel changed the title to Yakuza: Like a Dragon