Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Heaven Angel

3 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

Any tips to upgrade player levels (currently 19) as i am now facing enemies of around 23 and it is taking much more time to beat the goons and almost impossible to beat the bosses. @Ethan_Hunt

Depends on what chapter you're on right now. If you have access to Hamakita Park, this would the the earliest you can grind with these flash mobbers. They are weak to Fire or Ice. You need to beat the level 38 ones and if they don't spawn, you need to exit the area by taking the taxi and returning to this area. Beating their group nets you 2K level XP and 1.8K job experience. Your level is quite low, but no harm in giving it a shot as a trial run. Just ensure you deposit all your money into an ATM while doing this run to avoid loosing money in case you die or create a manual save. Stack up on healing items. 

If you have access to the management mini-game (chapter 5), focus all your effort into getting it leveled up to rank 1 as that will be your fastest way to farm money in early game. It's easy 3 million in like 10 minutes. This should allow you enough cash to start working on your weapon upgrades. If you haven't touched it, better start the prep work. It's available in chapter 5 as well once the Romance workshop opens up for weapon upgrades. Level up only the main weapons each character has for example the Hero bat for Kasuga's hero job. This should grant some much needed DPS. You can also buy temporary weapons from the store till you're running short on cash. Get some armour as well for some extra defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Depends on what chapter you're on right now. If you have access to Hamakita Park, this would the the earliest you can grind with these flash mobbers. They are weak to Fire or Ice. You need to beat the level 38 ones and if they don't spawn, you need to exit the area by taking the taxi and returning to this area. Beating their group nets you 2K level XP and 1.8K job experience. Your level is quite low, but no harm in giving it a shot as a trial run. Just ensure you deposit all your money into an ATM while doing this run to avoid loosing money in case you die or create a manual save. Stack up on healing items. 

What about the jobs things, where characters have different costumes and weapons. What is that

Just now, hazard12345 said:

What about the jobs things, where characters have different costumes and weapons. What is that

It's like a class switch. Each job comes with different set of abilities and stat bonuses. As you level up your job ranks, new abilities will be unlocked. The only one you don't have to worry about is Kasuga, just let him stay with his Hero job and that's all you'll need for his character. Nanba's Homeless job is perfectly fine. Keep Saeko as Idol; she's great at healing. Adachi is perfect as enforcer. I won't spoil the names of the rest of the cast, until you get them (not sure how far you are into the game yet). Feel free to try out any job to your liking, the above was just my personal preference. 

13 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

@Ethan_Hunt

Reached the final chapter, but i have read that you need to be level 99. Which location is the best to grind fast ?

Level 99 is only if you need to complete it's end-game final dungeon, else the final boss in the main storyline is level 65 if remember correctly. So you're party should be in and around that level. 

Spoiler

The best way to grind for levels if you're in the final chapter is the Kamurocho underground. It would have already given you a prompt to visit that area. It has a enemy in there called the Invested Vagabond. Killing him nets you a boatload of XP. Just take the route shown in the below video and you can skip all the non-essential fights that don't have this enemy and keep farming him to your hearts content. Get Joon-gi Han to obliterate him as you can only hurt this enemy with rapid shot attacks. 

So done with the main story and almost 85% of the game and will target a first platinum for a yakuza game after spending almost 60 hours.

Here is my review,

• Story & Characters: My view on the story is based on that this is my 7th yakuza game, so many people who are playing this as their first RGG studio title will have a completely different opinion on the story. One word that comes to mind after completing it is Refreshing, where the writers just didn't try to make it too serious. Ichiban as a funny, light-hearted personality is just the perfect protagonist to introduce in this universe after playing so many years with serious Kiryu. While the previous 6 yakuza games focused on the battle between the two big clans on a consistent basis, this one surprised me with how focused it was on just one small family and its characters. Overall, the story was a solid 9/10. Those who want to jump into the yakuza universe should start from Y-0 and then this.

• Combat: I was very skeptical with turn based combat and was kinda struggling, but as I tried to research all the components of skill, recovery and other special skills, the fun gradually increased. Now, all I can say is that this was the best decision made by the studio. In previous Yakuza games for me, it was all about button mashing as some of the long combos were pretty difficult to pull off. But now it is more about strategy, especially before you level up to 99 which I did before the final chapter. Felt kind of sorry for all them :fap:. The variety and creativity of the combat have to be applauded, with Poundmates just my favorite.

• Side Activities & Map: Sotenbori and Kamurucho maps were there throughout the Yakuza universe, but man Yokohama is huge with so much stuff to do. RGG studio just keeps coming with interesting side activities through their side mission characters and the way to link all those points ( personality for example) is just fantastic which kinda makes people complete the stuff. 

• Music: Have to say, after Gustavo Santaolalla from last of us, nobody creates better music in the gaming industry than RGG studios. Whether its emotional, tension or a boss fight (oye the guy with the eye patch:wub:), they somehow pull it out off the bag. Below are some off my favorite from this one:

Overall, now I am more excited for Yakuza 8 with Kiryu back than GTA 6 in 2024. And yes, my expectations for the story will be at the level of Yakuza 0 because it is for the first time we will have two protagonists again since that title.

But, will now take a break from Yakuza and will jump back in for the Gaiden DLC in late 2023.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Playing this currently, it grows on you in terms of gameplay, kinda feels like an FF game in terms of the dungeons you have to go through sometimes. :lol:

Still miss Kiryu san though, altough a plus of party based gameplay is you get to know other 3 chars apart from the main protag.

btw is there any guide for the company management minigame? it's more complex than Y0's real estate thing, also Nick Ogata wants rank 100 in 4 periods, idk what "consequences" he has if i don't meet that target :fear:

10 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

Playing this currently, it grows on you in terms of gameplay, kinda feels like an FF game in terms of the dungeons you have to go through sometimes. :lol:

Still miss Kiryu san though, altough a plus of party based gameplay is you get to know other 3 chars apart from the main protag.

btw is there any guide for the company management minigame? it's more complex than Y0's real estate thing, also Nick Ogata wants rank 100 in 4 periods, idk what "consequences" he has if i don't meet that target :fear:

Company management is the easiet of their minigames so far. Just look up a yt video if you want on what to do during shareholders meeting. Rest is most just on autoplay. 

On 1/23/2023 at 10:54 AM, KnackChap said:

Company management is the easiet of their minigames so far. Just look up a yt video if you want on what to do during shareholders meeting. Rest is most just on autoplay. 

Yes, I'm decent at shareholder meeting now.

btw anyone got the plat for this? what is the ideal party composition for True Final Millenium Tower? ofc Saeko as Idol has to be one for the heals, wondering about the other two? Joongi and Adachi or Joongi and Zhao or any other guys?

Still haven't finished the game but was wondering this

5 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Yes, I'm decent at shareholder meeting now.

btw anyone got the plat for this? what is the ideal party composition for True Final Millenium Tower? ofc Saeko as Idol has to be one for the heals, wondering about the other two? Joongi and Adachi or Joongi and Zhao or any other guys?

Still haven't finished the game but was wondering this

For me, it was Saeko, Han & Zhao. Saeko being Idol, Han was Host & Zhao being Gangster. You'll need to beef up your party pretty well before you head in there. I'd strongly recommend getting a skill called 'Fulminating Forecast' for everyone in your party except Saeko (male job only). It's an AOE lightning spell (with chance of inflicting paralysis) and the tower has so many enemies weak to either Lightning or Ice. Also, complete the business management mini-game to ensure you get the Orbital laser, which is Kasuga's highest damaging magic attack and costs a ton of MP to cast. You'll have to grind the Kamurocho underground like there's no tomorrow; so be prepared for that. Lastly, you'll need a summon called 'Mr. Masochist' obtained from a side story which provides the absolute crucial defense from Amon's orbital laser attack, else consider it game over for your party. 

This is the best guide I've seen for it. Follow it to the 'T' and you'll be fine. I had maxed out everyone and every single weapon/job, still the tips from this fella were really good and doesn't require leveling insanely like I did. 

• Thanks 1

Finished the main story, Ichi is full Naruto but with black hair, complete with Talk no Jutsu :rofl:

Guy is an anime char through and through

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

It was a shocker though how a certain character got randomly shanked.

Also does anyone else think Nick Ogata is a villain in the next game or is he just a shoo-in for Akiyama like folks on the internet say?

This is the 2nd game with turn based combat that I liked :fear: first is Persona 5 Royale

Edited by PhantomShade
  • Like 1

So finally did it B)

Ironically Amon and his Kiryu/Majima/Saejima clones were easier than getting killed by random thrashmobs will climbing the tower :rofl:

Did it on my first try, the team except Saeko managed to tank that drone swarm, the satellite beam attack and kiryu/saejima's poundmate call attacks

Screenshot-20230211-052021.png

Also this is the first Yakuza game i've platinumed, wanted to do Y0 but I was already burnt out on it, plus on Xbox GP so no point.

Surprisingly this was not as grindy as I thought apart from the grind to lvl 99 :lol:

Hope they remove the mechanic where it's game over if Kasuga dies, really sucks sometimes.