Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Heaven Angel

2 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

Turn based combat? Is this 1997 :lol:

You do realize that turn based combat still exists and is very popular right? We just had Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI - both extremely popular games, wih Persona 5 Royal coming next year. Final Fantasy is also a classic turn based game series, with Final Fantasy XVI, when it happens - most probably going back to turn based gameplay. And that FF7 Remake will be turn based.

What's the problem with turn based? It's no longer an issue of engine limitations, but a whole different genre altogether. And a pretty popular one at that - among Japanese RPG fans. 

35 minutes ago, roun90 said:

You do realize that turn based combat still exists and is very popular right? We just had Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI - both extremely popular games, wih Persona 5 Royal coming next year. Final Fantasy is also a classic turn based game series, with Final Fantasy XVI, when it happens - most probably going back to turn based gameplay. And that FF7 Remake will be turn based.

What's the problem with turn based? It's no longer an issue of engine limitations, but a whole different genre altogether. And a pretty popular one at that - among Japanese RPG fans. 

Japanese dig turn based and theres nothing wrong with it but the genre has become old I feel. There was a time when all people across the globe loved these turn based games but now as the engine and hardware supports they can make better, huge and varying combat systems. Turn based feel less realistic imo. 

Edited by Heaven Angel

1 hour ago, Heaven Angel said:

Japanese dig turn based and theres nothing wrong with it but the genre has become old I feel. There was a time when all people across the globe loved these turn based games but now as the engine and hardware supports they can make better, huge and varying combat systems. Turn based feel less realistic imo. 

The turn-based combat genre hasn't become old at all. If anything, it has kind of made a low-key resurgence in the past few years with games like XCOM, Divinity: Original Sin, Mutant Year Zero, Into the Breach etc. And turn based strategy games like Civilization are still pretty popular.

None of these are Japanese games either.

4 hours ago, adity said:

Yakuza was the only game of its kind aka one with brawler combat and was fun af. Its a dick punch for yakuza fans. I'm still gonna play it but it's justified to be pissed at their decision. 

Frankly, it's fine. As I said in a previous post - the Yakuza team has admitted they were fatigued with doing the same thing again and again. And it's understandable, they have put out some (appx.) 12 games in 13 years or so (at a rate of almost 1 game per year). So let them be creative. That's how the devs can try out new things and avoid complete burnout. And who knows, they might be able to create something awesome which you will love with this game. Or they might even be very inspired to make Yakuza 8 combat the absolute best in the series with both the break and new ideas they get from this game and other sources.

4 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

Lol wtf! There is an audience for turn based games worldwide even now. And people love it. If anything, it's the half-baked brawlers, shooters and hack-n-slash games with pseudo RPG elements that has over-saturated the market and been done to death. And although I am a fan of Yakuza - the combat in this series is actually quite "half-baked". You literally need no techniques. Just the basic combos and throws you start with is enough for the whole game. And it's always the same - sluggish at first and ROFLSTOMP as you just get the upgrade that lets you do maximum hits with the basic attack buttons and combos. Heck you don't even need to block most of the time.

And "realistic" - you realize you are talking about Yakuza here right? The series where basic punch can KO full grown tigers and bears? Try doing that in real life - I dare you. Also, the series where you smash someone's head with a bicycle - and the next second they are all right. IRL you will be lucky to avoid murder charges for the kind of fighting you do here.

Ultimately, what I mean to say, just wait and watch. You will see more videos and reviews as the game nears release. Get it if you like it or avoid.

But personally, I trust the RGG Devs. Whatever, they do - they always inject creativity and fun in their projects, and always make it awesome. Playing the series since Yakuza 4 - and even now, I still love their stories, am astounded at what they can do with a very small map, love the mini-games they put out (although I never seem to be any good at most of them) and still get a laugh out of the absolutely hilarious sub-stories.

Let the guys have an outlet for some change for a while. If anyone deserves trust after a long series - it's them

1 hour ago, Big Boss said:

Holy sh*t a Yakuza game with turd based I mean turn based combat? Extremely easy to completely avoid this game altogether.

Oh please! Avoid the game if you must. But please refrain from insulting an entire genre that has tons of fans world-wide and still puts out some of the best games out there, most with absolutely astounding stories and with 85+ meta. Unlike the so-called "Action RPG" genre is so over-saturated that it has 90% flops and you literally have to sift through the trash to find out the good games in it.

23 minutes ago, Walker said:

Nothing against turn based games but it was the Yakuza combat and hilarity that I fell in love with. Like @adity said its pretty much one of a kind. And I will play this at some point but still.

And that's absolutely fine! Look at the game and how it is. If you like it from videos - get it. If not, wait for the next game. Most probably, we should get a new Yakuza game with it's traditional combat in 2021. Even I was not thrilled with the turn based announcement, when it was made. It just doesn't suit Yakuza somehow.

But looking at their statements later, I kinda get their point. They just wanted to try something new - especially now that Kiryu's story is over, and they actually are starting a fresh venture. If it's successful, we might get more turn based games. But most probably we will still get the action games via spin-offs. If it's not successful, then the turn based game-play will be dumped for good (except maybe some spin-off/mini-games here or there). Either way, the action based games will still come. No need to insult this particular game or the turn based genre over it.

And just look at the trailers. Even with brief glimpses, you can see that the team is having a ton of fun with this game. Changing jobs mid-combat, so you can fight as a hostess or drunk office worker with a tie on his head! Calling down orbital lasers on random low level mooks! And that's just the tip of the iceberg and a small part of what we've seen. Who knows what kind of awesome ridiculousness they might give us in the full game?

5 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

The turn-based combat genre hasn't become old at all. If anything, it has kind of made a low-key resurgence in the past few years with games like XCOM, Divinity: Original Sin, Mutant Year Zero, Into the Breach etc. And turn based strategy games like Civilization are still pretty popular.

None of these are Japanese games either.

Aren't these over the top strategic games which requires a little tactical attention and planning before your next move, I don't know if but a third person turn based game requires same kind of attention. 

I've played XCOM and Divinity: Original Sin and both are quite difficult games, need proper observation before giving your next move. I'll look how is the combat in this game, if it's like regular turn based like it used to be then it won't attract any recognition. 

Maybe they've should've added a combat like God's Hand it would've been much better than this. 

Edited by Heaven Angel

2 hours ago, roun90 said:

Ultimately, what I mean to say, just wait and watch. You will see more videos and reviews as the game nears release. Get it if you like it or avoid.

Videos are already there.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, Bauji said:

Still looks one of it's kind to me. Hilarious, crazy, filled to the brim with content. Turn based combat might get boring over 40 or so hours...but so does the combat in the existing games.

1 hour ago, Heaven Angel said:

Aren't these over the top strategic games which requires a little tactical attention and planning before your next move, I don't know if but a third person turn based game requires same kind of attention. 

I've played XCOM and Divinity: Original Sin and both are quite difficult games, need proper observation before giving your next move. I'll look how is the combat in this game, if it's like regular turn based like it used to be then it won't attract any recognition. 

Maybe they've should've added a combat like God's Hand it would've been much better than this. 

You should first actually play old school jrpgs or even newer stuff like Persona 5 or DQ11 before judging turn based combat in those games.

3 hours ago, roun90 said:

Frankly, it's fine. As I said in a previous post - the Yakuza team has admitted they were fatigued with doing the same thing again and again. And it's understandable, they have put out some (appx.) 12 games in 13 years or so (at a rate of almost 1 game per year). So let them be creative. That's how the devs can try out new things and avoid complete burnout. And who knows, they might be able to create something awesome which you will love with this game. Or they might even be very inspired to make Yakuza 8 combat the absolute best in the series with both the break and new ideas they get from this game and other sources.

Lol wtf! There is an audience for turn based games worldwide even now. And people love it. If anything, it's the half-baked brawlers, shooters and hack-n-slash games with pseudo RPG elements that has over-saturated the market and been done to death. And although I am a fan of Yakuza - the combat in this series is actually quite "half-baked". You literally need no techniques. Just the basic combos and throws you start with is enough for the whole game. And it's always the same - sluggish at first and ROFLSTOMP as you just get the upgrade that lets you do maximum hits with the basic attack buttons and combos. Heck you don't even need to block most of the time.

And "realistic" - you realize you are talking about Yakuza here right? The series where basic punch can KO full grown tigers and bears? Try doing that in real life - I dare you. Also, the series where you smash someone's head with a bicycle - and the next second they are all right. IRL you will be lucky to avoid murder charges for the kind of fighting you do here.

But personally, I trust the RGG Devs. Whatever, they do - they always inject creativity and fun in their projects, and always make it awesome. Playing the series since Yakuza 4 - and even now, I still love their stories, am astounded at what they can do with a very small map, love the mini-games they put out (although I never seem to be any good at most of them) and still get a laugh out of the absolutely hilarious sub-stories.

Let the guys have an outlet for some change for a while. If anyone deserves trust after a long series - it's them

Oh please! Avoid the game if you must. But please refrain from insulting an entire genre that has tons of fans world-wide and still puts out some of the best games out there, most with absolutely astounding stories and with 85+ meta. Unlike the so-called "Action RPG" genre is so over-saturated that it has 90% flops and you literally have to sift through the trash to find out the good games in it.

Give me MOAR mindless stupid shootersss!!!

7 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

You should first actually play old school jrpgs or even newer stuff like Persona 5 or DQ11 before judging turn based combat in those games.

Actually i have played the old school turn based games to judge them. 

Actually i have played the old school turn based games to judge them. 
Them you must have not played them enough because your assessment is factually wrong. Play a game like FF6 and the combat there is extremely fun and requires thinking and strategy, definitely more than slashing sword or guns mindlessly as seen in most AAA games and rpgs today.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What he said isn’t wrong tho. Most Japanese turn based games doesn’t really need you to pay attention while in combat or use complex tactics. And final fantasy with atb combat and dq 11 least of all. Player and enemies have limited move sets and the tactics boil down to choosing the right move, figuring out the weakness of enemies and countering. It’s mostly an iterative approach, try something and see if it works if not go for another approach. Once you figure out what to do there’s nothing more. They have some randomness but it’s not gonna make much of a difference. These games focus more on progression, you keep getting new skills/items/gear and the most of the thinking you do is to choose the right tools to get things done. If you don’t have enough you grind. It’s more about being prepared than actually tactical thinking on the spot. I find most of these menu based games getting stagnated after 15-20 hrs in. Offer times even have lot of annoyances like a boss insta killing characters out of nowhere and you basically can’t do sh*t about it and try it over again keeping that in mind. Or sometimes having to grind a lot to catch up to bosses level and again literally can’t do sh*t if you’re too under leveled. Story, fun characters, interesting world and unique artstyle is what carries these games more than gameplay. 

They’re not like chess game where at any point of time you have virtually infinite number of possibilities so you can’t iteratively find a solution. Games like FTL, into the breach are like chess. You just have to think up strategies as you play them and everyone can have their own way of playing them. Those are one of a kind unique games and hard to come by. Otherwise only a handful of games had some interesting new ideas in the genre. Resonance of fate took atb kind of gameplay to next level making it seem almost real-time and you actually have to always pay attention in this one because gameplay is not entirely skewed towards levels and gear here. Pausing and positioning characters in dragon age was awesome, more games should have tried to include positioning characters as a strategy. Ff12 programming gambits and a lot of customization was fun. Tactical rpgs evolved a lot better over menu based jrpg games. Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem are like upgrades versions of ff tactics or old fire emblems.

Games like Xcom, Civ are on whole another level. They have a lot of elements at play. At this point I don’t have patience to play games with so much detail anymore. 

I started divinity 2 a while ago. It was great but bit taxing to play. I’ll find some time to play it later. 

Edited by KyoyaHibari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Sega wants to experiment because Persona 5 beat Yakuza in sales. 

But imo i feel like that is happening because Yakuza story is like a Japanese crime drama while persona is like an Anime. In the west Anime is more popular.

I feel like its fine because we have got so much Yakuza games that I can give it a break. Maybe if they can find a new audience with it they can make the franchise more popular.

• Heaven Angel changed the title to Yakuza: Like a Dragon