Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Heaven Angel

29 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

A year ago Yakuza wasn't even on Xbox, and now they want all of them for free :lol: 

We are paying for the Ultimate service. We will demand PS exclusives also on GP :threatenlumber:

On 3/2/2021 at 9:50 PM, CarbonCore said:

The way they made the trailer they tried showing a lot of contents which are present in the game. 

Anyone who has played Persona and looking to play something similar kind ; then you should definitely try this game. Story is good and gameplay is same as P5R.

18 minutes ago, GameAnalyzer said:

The way they made the trailer they tried showing a lot of contents which are present in the game. 

Anyone who has played Persona and looking to play something similar kind ; then you should definitely try this game. Story is good and gameplay is same as P5R.

It's a good game, but I always felt it was Persona - Wannabe after Persona 5's phenomenal success. Story-wise and character-wise, frankly, other Yakuza games themselves have done far better (Namely Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 5), and I would rate Persona 5's story, characters and villains far above this. Nothing comes close to the vileness displayed by Kamoshida, Futaba's Trauma and so much more (Not to mention the friendships and Confidant Bonding) in this game. Confidant Conversations and Romances are also unnecessary and badly implemented here - unlike in Persona 5 where each interaction was carefully planned out and written in an amazing way to tell the proper story of a character.

It's a good game, but don't raise people's hopes that it's close to Persona 5. It's not and if people go in with that expectation  - they will be disappointed. I would rate this story close to Yakuza 1/Kiwami 1, considering that it follows so many of the exact same story beats. Good, but nowhere near the best of what even the Yakuza Team can do.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, roun90 said:

It's a good game, but I always felt it was Persona - Wannabe after Persona 5's phenomenal success. Story-wise and character-wise, frankly, other Yakuza games themselves have done far better (Namely Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 5), and I would rate Persona 5's story, characters and villains far above this. Nothing comes close to the vileness displayed by Kamoshida, Futaba's Trauma and so much more (Not to mention the friendships and Confidant Bonding) in this game. Confidant Conversations and Romances are also unnecessary and badly implemented here - unlike in Persona 5 where each interaction was carefully planned out and written in an amazing way to tell the proper story of a character.

It's a good game, but don't raise people's hopes that it's close to Persona 5. It's not and if people go in with that expectation  - they will be disappointed. I would rate this story close to Yakuza 1/Kiwami 1, considering that it follows so many of the exact same story beats. Good, but nowhere near the best of what even the Yakuza Team can do.

Haha, yeah obviously. Persona 5 is the benchmark setter. This game just follows that style like you mentioned wanna be. That’s what I meant. But I am myself being a persona fan I can relate so much of persona style in this game. Humor, Emotions, dialogues  and other twists and turns and other small things. And obviously it can’t reach the heights of yakuza 0 (from story perspective and characters... Kiryu kills everything) but this is still a great game. I am thinking of playing it second time New Game+ with different Jobs. And once you play this game you can’t go back to older yakuza games because they will feel outdated. And to be honest I liked this game more than FF7 Remake. :) 

Edited by GameAnalyzer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Yup. Loving it so far. 

Although Ichiban's soul patch is off centre and it's really jarring. 

What the heck is Soul Patch?

Anyway, Ichiban is a great protagonist. Love how they make the effort to distinguish each character, and also justify the turn based gameplay on the story. Ichiban is delusional and mad himself (In a different way than Majima - not spoilers btw). It's great.

@Madmage This game, unfortunately does not hold a candle to Yakuza's finest story-wise (Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 5), but it sets up the story for the new series nicely. The entire game is a set up for future Ichiban games IMO.

Edited by roun90

5 hours ago, roun90 said:

What the heck is Soul Patch?

Anyway, Ichiban is a great protagonist. Love how they make the effort to distinguish each character, and also justify the turn based gameplay on the story. Ichiban is delusional and mad himself (In a different way than Majima - not spoilers btw). It's great.

@Madmage This game, unfortunately does not hold a candle to Yakuza's finest story-wise (Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 5), but it sets up the story for the new series nicely. The entire game is a set up for future Ichiban games IMO.

Yes that's what I Heard. Gonna start 0 after I am done with it. After taking a small break.

4 hours ago, Madmage said:

Yes that's what I Heard. Gonna start 0 after I am done with it. After taking a small break.

TBH you should have played 0 first. Y0 is the perfect introduction to the Yakuza series. This game is not. This is simply because this game serves as the conclusion to the Tojo Clan story-line, at the end chapters (Tojo Clan is the major criminal syndicate which is involved in the stories of Yakuza 0 - 6). If you ask me, I would have recommended playing this game after playing Yakuza 6, since this game also serves as Y6's sequel + the final epilogue to Kiryu (The OG protagonist) and Tojo Clan story.

There are chances you will be confused, especially post Chapter 12.

@Mr. Comingle Did you finish Yakuza 6 yet?

23 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Nope. Y4 and 3 are rough, man. Thinking of just watching a story summary and moving to 5 and 6.

At least see a story summary of Yakuza 6 before playing Like a Dragon. The late-mid to end parts of the game act as a sequel to Yakuza 6, and you will be very confused if you've not played it.