Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Heaven Angel

6 hours ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Thanks man! Download is already complete. Will start it tonight. 

I'll probably try Judgement later but I thought I'd at least try this (LAD) style of gameplay for once and see if I'm any good at it. 

I’m not really party RPG kinda player, The game is good no doubt, but it came to a grinding halt for me when necessary grinding was required, plus the job system was meh to me . YMMV

I know a lot of people loved the rpg switch, but a big fk u to RGG for switching it

On 5/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, Ethan_Hunt said:

I finally managed to complete the Kiryu saga today (write up planned in it's respective thread) and planning to start Like a Dragon. This is the first time I'm going full mental to play 3 Yakuza titles back to back. Started out with 5, finished 6 and albeit my hesitation, I'd like to give Like a Dragon a fair shot. My main question to all you experts out here is what tips do you have for embracing the turn-based JRPG combat system?  As someone who absolutely loathes this type of combat style, how difficult is it to learn the basics from this game? How deep is the system compared to other in this genre? 

I'll be honest and mention that my only foray into remotely playing this type of gameplay would be with the South Park games, which I believe were quite rudimentary. So bearing that in mind, what exactly should be my approach for this game?

Well I'm almost towards the end of like a dragon (i think last but one chapter), and I've to say this is like the best in the series.  There's full English language support, so you're not forced to read subs and much better side stories and charcters.

Some points:

- There's lot of grinding, especially when chapter 12 starts.  So get that mindset and adjust the difficulty (easy/normal).

- Complete sub stories as and when they open up, some of them give really good rewards like companions who can assist in battle.  Some of them like Nancy Chan makes some of the boss fights manageable.

- Don't spend too much time grinding in Yokohama underground tunnels, waste of time.  Until chapter 12, i didn't feel the need for grinding.

- Once sotenbori arena opens up, try it before attempting the chapter 12 boss.  It easily helps levels up by 10.

- Have atleast one healer (saeko) and one tank(adachi) in the party. Get the jobs changed as soon as it opens up in the game.  Job xp and level xp levels up separately.

- Invest in bonding by ensuring ichiban talks to party members in the survive bar.  The passive party members gain good xp this way.  

- Eating at certain resturants increases bonding and also buffs up the party.  Invest in that regularly.

- Money can be saved in in-game poppo shops.  Losing battles, results in los of half of income of you want to retry boss battles, better save up often.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 3:05 AM, Snake said:

I’m not really party RPG kinda player, The game is good no doubt, but it came to a grinding halt for me when necessary grinding was required, plus the job system was meh to me . YMMV

I know a lot of people loved the rpg switch, but a big fk u to RGG for switching it

For me the main reason I played Yakuza series was different fighting styles beast, rush, brawler & Dragon, sure story is always great but loved the beat em up style of the game. Old Yakuza games & judgement series is left now. :ranting:

@Ethan_Hunt You should also do the main mini-game in this title (Ichiban Confections) as soon as it opens up. You complete it's story - it will easily give you millions of $$/Yen as and when you want. You are going to need a lot of cash later down the line. So be sure to do it. It also helps that the game is quite fun and has an interesting story of it's own.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:20 PM, Ne0 said:

Well I'm almost towards the end of like a dragon (i think last but one chapter), and I've to say this is like the best in the series.  There's full English language support, so you're not forced to read subs and much better side stories and charcters.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm on chapter 5 right now and it's been fine so far and not much complexity in the mechanics. I'm sticking with the Japanese VO as I can't imagine playing a Yakuza game with English VO now. :P

- Don't spend too much time grinding in Yokohama underground tunnels, waste of time.  Until chapter 12, i didn't feel the need for grinding.

- Once sotenbori arena opens up, try it before attempting the chapter 12 boss.  It easily helps levels up by 10.

Can I ask why should grinding be avoided before chapter 12? Is it because of the Sotenbori arena providing a faster (and thereby efficient) means to level up? I'm having fun beating random thugs from all over Yokohama. I wish there was a way to check the level of the enemies prior to actually getting into a battle with them. For instance, I went into Koreatown when I was pretty low level and saw a level 2 threat rating on the mini-map, I figured it would be manageable, but ended up getting my arse kicked (I was level 7 and the mob was level 13). I have notice that a 1-2 level difference is slightly acceptable in the encounters, but anything beyond that takes a massive hit on the HP. For now, all my party is at level 17 and bought a few weapons for the party from random shops to give them a slight edge. 

- Complete sub stories as and when they open up, some of them give really good rewards like companions who can assist in battle.  Some of them like Nancy Chan makes some of the boss fights manageable.

This wasn't even up for debate. Going through all of them as and when they open up and only leaving the ones which require heavy monetary investment till I get some cash from the management mini-game. Got Nancy chan, the sub story was hilarious and reminded me of the chicken sub-story from Yakuza 0.  A lot of them feel re-hased from Zero. :P 

- Have atleast one healer (saeko) and one tank(adachi) in the party. Get the jobs changed as soon as it opens up in the game.  Job xp and level xp levels up separately.

Aye. Nanba is my current healer. Saeko just joined the party, so just going through her skill-set. I haven't paid attention to the jobs yet and have been cruising around on their default ones as I didn't find the option to switch yet. What's a good recommendation? 

- Eating at certain resturants increases bonding and also buffs up the party.  Invest in that regularly.

- Money can be saved in in-game poppo shops.  Losing battles, results in los of half of income of you want to retry boss battles, better save up often.

I'm a barely scarping through at the moment and have some around 60K in the ATM, but yeah I found that tip while my brother was playing through the game. Manually saving like crazy all the time. Just waiting to rake up the monies to try out all the good stuff. :P 

- Invest in bonding by ensuring ichiban talks to party members in the survive bar.  The passive party members gain good xp this way

Do you have to do this every time you meet a new member? I see the bond bar going up but there seems to be some cap on it. I only did that with Adachi seeing as it was the introduction to the bonding system. 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, roun90 said:

You should also do the main mini-game in this title (Ichiban Confections) as soon as it opens up. You complete it's story - it will easily give you millions of $$/Yen as and when you want. You are going to need a lot of cash later down the line. So be sure to do it. It also helps that the game is quite fun and has an interesting story of it's own.

I am just waiting for it to be unlocked and will go ballistic on it. BTW can you max it out in chapter 5 itself or do I need to progress in the story to get some boost with this system?

2 hours ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm on chapter 5 right now and it's been fine so far and not much complexity in the mechanics. I'm sticking with the Japanese VO as I can't imagine playing a Yakuza game with English VO now. :P

Can I ask why should grinding be avoided before chapter 12? Is it because of the Sotenbori arena providing a faster (and thereby efficient) means to level up? I'm having fun beating random thugs from all over Yokohama. I wish there was a way to check the level of the enemies prior to actually getting into a battle with them. For instance, I went into Koreatown when I was pretty low level and saw a level 2 threat rating on the mini-map, I figured it would be manageable, but ended up getting my arse kicked (I was level 7 and the mob was level 13). I have notice that a 1-2 level difference is slightly acceptable in the encounters, but anything beyond that takes a massive hit on the HP. For now, all my party is at level 17 and bought a few weapons for the party from random shops to give them a slight edge. 

This wasn't even up for debate. Going through all of them as and when they open up and only leaving the ones which require heavy monetary investment till I get some cash from the management mini-game. Got Nancy chan, the sub story was hilarious and reminded me of the chicken sub-story from Yakuza 0.  A lot of them feel re-hased from Zero. :P 

Aye. Nanba is my current healer. Saeko just joined the party, so just going through her skill-set. I haven't paid attention to the jobs yet and have been cruising around on their default ones as I didn't find the option to switch yet. What's a good recommendation? 

I'm a barely scarping through at the moment and have some around 60K in the ATM, but yeah I found that tip while my brother was playing through the game. Manually saving like crazy all the time. Just waiting to rake up the monies to try out all the good stuff. :P 

Do you have to do this every time you meet a new member? I see the bond bar going up but there seems to be some cap on it. I only did that with Adachi seeing as it was the introduction to the bonding system. 

I am just waiting for it to be unlocked and will go ballistic on it. BTW can you max it out in chapter 5 itself or do I need to progress in the story to get some boost with this system?

Yeah, sotenbori arena is much better as it allows the player to retain all the cash+rewards+xp and takes him back to the entrance upon defeat. Also the enemies there are constant and expected.   As i remeber, when i played, the party was at around 35-36 when entered and by exit, it was around 43-44.  Arena levels 26-30 give lot of cash and xp and best for grinding.  Yokohoma tunnels on the other hand is purely luck based, both w.r.t rewards and enemies, you might get very low return for the time invested and any defeat is game over and you've to reload previous save.  There're some Save points inside the tunnels, but it's sparse.  Also, i usually followed the storyline and didn't really explore outside unless a sub story or main story sent me specifically to an area.  So i didn't feel the need to grind at all.  The difficulty increases steeply from chapter 12 onwards and that's where sotenbori arena opens up.

Bonding won't exceed the current level outside of survive bar.  For ex, if bonding level is near to 1, by eating together etc it can only reach until 1 and stays there.  To move beyond the level, ichiban has to initiate conversations at survive bar. The party members have their own sub stories and at the highest bonding level, ichiban usually gets to play out the sub story finale/help out the party member concluding the sub story arc.  I think there are 4-5 bonding levels per character, don't remember this number exactly though.

Jobs wise, i had set ichiban to hero, adachi to enforcer, nanba was the default one, saeko as idol (i think that's the healer).  You'll get more party members later on, so i used nanba only when i needed his skills.  Also not sure if you found this out already, but you can swap out party members even during battles, anyone can do it, but one turn is lost.  Also don't hesitate to use pound mates, some enemies are weak to specific attributes and summoning pound mates might help against tough boss fights.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Went on a marathon session. B)

HS9mCnT.jpg

Congratz!! Now you can pull in millions per session easily whenever you want (And believe me - you''l want it soon, later equipments, progression and everything costs in millions from what I remember).

Anyway enjoy the delicious irony that Ichiban is in the position of Sunder Pichai or Satya Nadella - but still has to be homeless and beg for money on the main game story.

Edited by roun90
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, roun90 said:

Congratz!! Now you can pull in millions per session easily whenever you want (And believe me - you''l want it soon, later equipments, progression and everything costs in millions from what I remember).

Anyway enjoy the delicious irony that Ichiban is in the position of Sunder Pichai or Satya Nadella - but still has to be homeless and beg for money on the main game story.

and collect cans or look under vending machines for money ??

4 hours ago, ΨΨ babloos ΨΨ said:

Bussiness minigame is probably most addictive minigame in the entire  series even better training host in yakuza zero

IMO, it's good, but it's nowhere close to the hostess club mini-game from Zero & even Kiwami 2. Even the sub-stories involving all the hostesses were fantastic in Zero. It's disappointing that in this business management mini-game, you're capped at 3 Million from each shareholder meeting regardless of how much you have upgraded your properties. They should have really made some variation in that aspect based on the overall performance. Considering how much the weapon upgrades/armour crafting costs right now, grinding this mini-game endlessly would be rather boring. 

Finally got the platinum! I previously played this on PC Gamepass in 2021 and got all achievements except the True Final Millennium Tower one. Bought this for PS5 and finally completed the TFMT.

After slogging through the TFMT for 2.5 hours, the trophy popped but when I went to the trophies page later it was not showing up, I was worried it was glitched but it seems PS takes a while to sync trophies from local to PSN. In an hour it was all fixed.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Ethan_Hunt said:

IMO, it's good, but it's nowhere close to the hostess club mini-game from Zero & even Kiwami 2. Even the sub-stories involving all the hostesses were fantastic in Zero. It's disappointing that in this business management mini-game, you're capped at 3 Million from each shareholder meeting regardless of how much you have upgraded your properties. They should have really made some variation in that aspect based on the overall performance. Considering how much the weapon upgrades/armour crafting costs right now, grinding this mini-game endlessly would be rather boring. 

In the post game the best way to earn money is to equip 7 Nouveau Riche crowns on your party and do the Final Millennium Tower. It takes like 30 mins for 1 round and you get like 55 million. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gavara Tarun said:

In the post game the best way to earn money is to equip 7 Nouveau Riche crowns on your party and do the Final Millennium Tower. It takes like 30 mins for 1 round and you get like 55 million. 

First off, props to you for replaying the game to that extent. I can't imagine having to go through all of that just for a trophy. At least you'll be my go to guide if I decide to attempt the TFMT. 

As for the money, it's manageable for now. However, I do need to know what's the level requirements for the final boss of the main story and what is the ideal set-up I should use at that stage? How and when should I start the grind prep work?

6 hours ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

First off, props to you for replaying the game to that extent. I can't imagine having to go through all of that just for a trophy. At least you'll be my go to guide if I decide to attempt the TFMT. 

As for the money, it's manageable for now. However, I do need to know what's the level requirements for the final boss of the main story and what is the ideal set-up I should use at that stage? How and when should I start the grind prep work?

Refer to this guide by CyricZ for any doubts -- https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/272324-yakuza-like-a-dragon/faqs/78735/introduction

As for grinding it's simple, you don't need to grind until you are introduced to the Sotenbori Arena, that is not optional. Other than that you don't have to grind ever again till you reach Kamurocho at the end. I remember equipping Hariti's Amulet as soon I got one in the arena, it removes all enemies from the cities. You can grind in Kamurocho underground just defeating that one Invested Vagabond over and over again for a max 10 times (just make sure you have job exp items equipped for all characters, 2 per character if possible and also regular exp items for the characters that need it). So not much grinding basically you just need to know where to grind.

I used Ichiban, Nanba, Han in the default jobs, Adachi as Enforcer, Zhao as Host, Eri as Hostess and Saeko as Idol. My main team was Ichiban, Adachi, Han and Zhao and I swap Zhao for Eri or Saeko based on requirement. The final boss of main story is not that hard, he does have one bullshit KO move so just always do a Peerless Resolve on Ichiban for that boss.

Even Final Millennium Tower is not that hard, I got that on my second try after beating the game. But for TFMT I had to do a decent amount of grinding, all characters 95+ level and 90+ job level on one job and 28-30 on two more. I followed CyricZ guide for that.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Ethan_Hunt said:

Agreed, its nowhere as engaging or fun as Y0 cabaret management

• 2 weeks later...

WELP! :fear1:

Been a while since I posted a progress update, so here it is. I had reached the final chapter last week and right off the gate, got a notification which said that the a special place was unlocked and I can level up in there. I went in, stayed there for a week & this is what happened (:P): 

Spoiler

DIpfg81.png

FEvf7LE.png

4eC41BA.png

cxLrSEs.png

JjLPfs0.png

eMbzWgq.png

XMRzP47.png

Now after finally emerging from there last night I feel like this: 

YAKUZA_TEASER_GIF_03.gif

Some bonus shots of me and my peeps just chilling:

Spoiler

SVs4hIH.jpg

RuJjKo8.jpg

OXT5QmZ.jpg

Q7chx5G.jpg

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

How long is this game? also do you get more team mates or is it just 3?

Around 50 hours give or take for the main story only, could vary depending on how much you'd want to grind.

7 members in total. 6 through normal game progression (inclusive of Ichiban) and 1 obtained through optional management mini-game (highly recommended).

Finally i was able to defeat kazama kiryu and now in the final chapter.  Kiryu was a walkover at level 54.  The next 2 fights were easy as well.  I got that message about another arena to practise, how easy/difficult if the final Boss ? L55 good enough ? 

Finally completed the game yesterday.   Although in terms of voice acting and quality of cut scenes y0 was slightly better, in terms of sheer likeabality, and the variety of charcters itself, this game takes the cake.  The story is quite good as well with lot of twists and turns and the character development of every one is really amazing to watch.  The emphasis is more on friendship and team play and it plays a central role in the game.  It's also perhaps the least serious game in the series.  The sub stories are hilarious and lot of side activities and games etc to take part in.

While the turn based gameplay might put off a lot of people, i didn't find it distracting and the way the game opens up introducing each gameplay element, it felt natural and hardly felt like a steep learning curve.

Only gripe is the grinding that's needed after chapter 12 as the difficulty rises steeply and some of the final bosses are just hit sponges taking some 30 mins or so to beat.

Also there's like 45 mins of cut scenes(including post credit) after the final boss fight !!