Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Heaven Angel

47 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

.Cupace20201209203728.jpg

@Heaven Angel@Jigsaw.  A true Kojima fan indeed. Wants to learn Japanese to interview him. 

*in good humor. The guy loves his games. Streams (starts streaming) each (new) title at midnight! *

Did you edited that :lol:

48 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

.Cupace20201209203728.jpg

*in good humor. The guy loves his games. Streams (starts streaming) each (new) title at midnight! *

He didn't like the game play because it had too many cut scenes. :roflroll:

He is my favorite reviewer. Do we have any Namokar merchandise? 

8 minutes ago, TheMonark said:

He didn't like the game play because it had too many cut scenes. :roflroll:

He is my favorite reviewer. Do we have any Namokar merchandise? 

Yeap. 

Check his tshirt. 

Warning- cringy content! :bigyellowgrin: viewer discretion is advised! 

Edited by radicaldude

On 11/26/2020 at 1:28 PM, Paapi said:

Those playing this game, do try side story where you manage the Ichiban Confections business, its really fun and gives loads of money as reward which you would eventually need. It is really fun to run that business..

Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 12 main story will have a task to secure 2 million yen, plus two sub story where you would need one million yen for each.

Does this one has english voiceovers? I played few Yakuza games in past and liked them but no English voiceovers always made it tough for me. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Game has English VO. Even other Yakuza games do. 

But not everything has voice over. Side chars/non-important missions have only text communication. Story is fully voiced. 

Naah, I played Kiwami and 0 recently on Xbox, it was all in Japanese. 6 had the english though. 

Just now, ZooZoo said:

Naah, I played Kiwami and 0 recently on Xbox, it was all in Japanese. 6 had the english though. 

Huh, my bad. I tried 0 when it was out but didn't realize it was missing English VO.

Like a Dragon has English voice though. For some reason the game has English interface/audio/subs while JP has only VO (usually it is other way around). :lol:

unknown.png

13 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Huh, my bad. I tried 0 when it was out but didn't realize it was missing English VO.

Like a Dragon has English voice though. For some reason the game has English interface/audio/subs while JP has only VO (usually it is other way around). :lol:

unknown.png

This is good, they're giving options for English and Japanese Audio.

Finished 0, Kiwami1 and Kiwami2 with Japanese language and English subs, would be odd seeing them speak in English :P

4 minutes ago, adity said:

The English dub in Judgement was very good. It was actually better than the Japanese. Hoping for the same here. 

Oh, I didn't know that. Always go for sub instead of dub so never realized.

25 minutes ago, adity said:

It means that the games supports Japanese audio with other language subs. Nothing unusual. Also, this game and Judgement are the only Yakuza studio titles with English dub. 

No. 0 and others have full JP support including interface and subs.  

OK, so I've completed the game, and my final impressions:

First things first - Do Not Play this game if you've not played Yakuza 6.

I don't know why no review mentioned this and why SEGA Marketing did not touch upon this. This game serves 2 functions. First it's an introduction to a new series and new characters. 2nd it's a conclusion to all the old stuff. Yakuza 6 ended The Dragon of Dojima - Kazuma Kiryu's story. This game ends the story of the 2nd main protagonist, i.e. The Tojo Clan of Kamurocho. As such certain events happen at the end chapters that make sense only if you've played and completed Yakuza 6. If you have played Yakuza before, finish Yakuza 6 before starting this. If you're looking to get into Yakuza Series for the first time with this game - be prepared to be confused a lot and ignore some major stuff that happens in the later chapters and just think of it as a Deus Ex Machina. From the next game on, it will most probably be completely new with the characters introduced in this game. This game serves as an introduction to those characters and does it well.

Now as for the game itself:

Story: The story will seem very disjointed in the beginning. There are too many things going on that seemingly do not have much connection to each other. As such, in the beginning it will seem like you are doing grunt work and story might be confusing in the sense of "Why am I doing all this?" This will last till mid-game. But after that, around Chapter 9/10 onwards, the story will start to make a lot of sense. You will see how everything is connected and it will be very fun. Story is very good. It does not reach the heights of Yakuza 0 or Yakuza 5, but it's still absolutely great.

Characters: This is one of the most fun aspects of the game. The characters are really great. We have a homeless person, an alcoholic and womanizing detective (who still has a heart of gold), a hostess and many more (Can't say about others as it will be spoiler territory). Their interactions are great. The star of the show however is Kasuga Ichiban, the MC himself. I liked him. He's not like stony Kiryu, suave Majima (Yakuza 0), mad Majima (Other Yakuza Games), Akiyama, Saejima or anyone else. Ichiban is a big fan of video games - Dragon Quest especially. On top of that, he is delusional, imagining himself a DQ Hero and all the various thugs and others as monsters of a DQ game. He's also a chill and funny guy. A joy to play as and see his story. SEGA also added a bond system like in Persona 4/5 (Including Personality level like Charm level etc.) All characters have their own personal story that's only available via their bonds. But the bond quality is not equal to what was in Persona 5. Persona is the master of that system and it shows.

Combat: The turn based combat is fun, provided you play it rationally. In other words, don't run into every weak mob you see. That will get you burnt out. Rather, pick fights only when you need to (For Story, sub-story, mini-game etc.) or feel like it. Don't overdo it.

Second is, pick your job carefully. In the beginning, combat will be very easy. Any job will do and you will feel like taking high damage jobs just to get things done quickly. But by the time you start the late mid game, you are going to need to think what you are going to do in combat. Enemies, and especially bosses, will no longer be a push-over. The proper mixture of support jobs, damage jobs, tanking jobs, healing jobs will save you a lot.

Point to note is - you can change jobs at any time from the employment agency so long as you fulfill it's requirement. But each jobs have their own levels (Different from character levels) and each of your characters will only be able to level 1 job to acceptable levels by end game. If you try to keep on jumping hoops and switching jobs - you will be screwed at end game when your job level is not enough and you don't have the required useful skills of the jobs unlocked. Not to mention, the Employment Agency will also not be always accessible depending on story. There is a strategic component to jobs. Each job plays differently and it's useful to see what each job does, play many jobs in the beginning (without progressing the story) and then commit to one job till the end.

City and Stuff to Do: This is where the game truly shines. There are tons of side-quests, mini-games and other fun stuff. The city truly feels alive. Management is one of the new games introduced. In this, you take a small bakery and make it grow into the No. 1 company in Yokohama. To do this, there are tons of stuff like hiring proper employees and ensuring they are in jobs that are suitable for them, expanding your business sensibly by acquiring side businesses and other stuff that will help you, sell off all the dead weight businesses and get rid of employees who are a burden, run your own ad campaigns (Yes there are proper animated ads for you as well), canvass for donations and investments and answer your shareholders etc. The mini-game has it's own story that is excellent and gives bonuses that can be used in the main story that are very useful (in addition to all the money a Managing Director earns of course). It's one of the most fun games in the entire Yakuza franchise. In addition to that, they have ported a rip-off of Mario Kart here, which is also very fun. There are tons more, but it will be too long to write about everything. In addition to this, there are sub-stories that are very fun and genuinely heart warming - making the city feel like your home.There are also tons of shops that allow for things like customizing your weapons, buying really innovative stuff etc. It's all really great. CDPR should learn from Yakuza how to make a city.

That's about all I can think of for now. Overall, it's a great game. If I've got to give it a rating, I would give it an 8/10. A very fine game, but not a the best Yakuza game or a legendary game.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 5