Resident Evil: Project Resistance

Heaven Angel

You make it seem like niche games and marketing was a thing just popped up recently. These concepts are there as long as games have been, and what applies a decade ago applies even now. And popular pages in wiki updates regularly so if the general consensus of people change over time it’ll reflect in the pages.
Except that 20 years back, you didn't have the means you have now to promote games. A game like Dark souls can be made on a big budget and still sell well to its target without spending huge on promotions because of online promotions. It doesn't need to rely on word of mouth as compared to a game made 20 years ago. It is an informal definition, not a bookish one. So, i fail to see how its going to reflect in wiki pages. It literally makes no sense in today's time to use marketing budget as a means to determine whether a game is AAA or not. A game like Monster Hunter is going to be marketed 50 times more heavily in Japan, than a game like AC or Uncharted. I guess that means Monster Hunter is more than AAA than them in Japan, right? Fifa is going to be promoted more than many higher budget games, eith much bigger scale, in Europe. I gues it is more AAA by that logic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Again, just because a game is more focussed in its scope and efficient in its development, doesn't make it AA. Every game doesn't need vast open worlds or lines and lines of voice acting to be called AAA. Talking about GTA, it is around 10 times more expensive (cost plus marketing) than something like UC4. Doesn't make it any less AAA. A game like Persona doesn't need to have a higher budget than it already has. A game like Monster Hunter is as AAA as a game can get. There is absolutely nothing in it that says AA.

Donno what you’re trying to say. AAA is just an informal word like A list actors or blockbuster movies used for high budget games. It doesn’t amount to nothing about quality of game. MH/dark souls just doesn’t have that budget attached to them but they’re still the best out there. 

As for GTA it’s kind of of exception which has higher budget than any other game you can compare. They just make a new engine every time and support game for like 5-6 years unlike most games which last for few years at best.

15 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Except that 20 years back, you didn't have the means you have now to promote games. A game like Dark souls can be made on a big budget and still sell well to its target without spending huge on promotions because of online promotions. It doesn't need to rely on word of mouth as compared to a game made 20 years ago. It is an informal definition, not a bookish one. So, i fail to see how its going to reflect in wiki pages. It literally makes no sense in today's time to use marketing budget as a means to determine whether a game is AAA or not. A game like Monster Hunter is going to be marketed 50 times more heavily in Japan, than a game like AC or Uncharted. I guess that means Monster Hunter is more than AAA than them in Japan, right? Fifa is going to be promoted more than many higher budget games, eith much bigger scale, in Europe. I gues it is more AAA by that logic.

Thats exactly what AAA is used for. It just means they spent more money making game or marketing it. Doesn’t mean anything about quality. 

1 minute ago, KyoyaHibari said:

Donno what you’re trying to say. AAA is just an informal word like A list actors or blockbuster movies used for high budget games. It doesn’t amount to nothing about quality of game. MH/dark souls just doesn’t have that budget attached to them but they’re still the best out there. 

As for GTA it’s kind of of exception which has higher budget than any other game you can compare. They just make a new engine every time and support game for like 5-6 years unlike most games which last for few years at best.

I am just saying that games like Dark souls or Monster Hunter or Persona are AAA. It was pretty clear. Nothing more, nothing less.

Amount of support GTA gets has nothing to with its budget. GTA 5's cost was around $300 million total at launch. Nobody knew the amount of support it was going to get in the future and that amount didn't include costs for future support either.

1 minute ago, KyoyaHibari said:

Thats exactly what AAA is used for. It just means they spent more money making game or marketing it. Doesn’t mean anything about quality. 

I never said anything about quality anyway. What i said was marketing has nothing to do with a game being AAA in today's time, as simple as that.

Edited by Sach4life

Monster Hunter is AAA. The game had a sales expectation of 5 million and a huge budget. Thats the textbook definition. 

Yakuza looks very good , but its budget and marketing is still AA. The reason Yakuza looks like a AAA game is because of heavy asset reuse. Persona is also definitely not AAA. Atlus is a very small team. The developers were very happy to even hit 1 million in sales.

I don't get how this conversation escalated into AAA and Quality. Budget has nothing to do with game being good. The question was why Capcom games are the only Japanese games that look super realistic. Usually if you want to have a super realistic looking game you need a high budget. However just because a game is high budget doesn't mean it has to look super realistic. Overwatch and BOTW are still AAA games despite looking cartoony. 

As of right now Only Capcom and SE have shown interest in making AAA games. Sega and Bamco focus more on AA,Mobile and PC titles.

Yakuza could win best graphics of the year award (A task thats super hard given their budget ). But that still doesn't mean it is AAA in terms of Budget and Marketing. Which is what the term is used for. 

5 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Genres change over time as well. A game like Tekken 3 or FF7  were top of the line AAA titles at the time. With huge budgets that were way higher than most games. 

If you look at their budgets now it is lower than what it was when adjusted for inflation and their respective time.

As for MH being bigger in Japan. You are absolutely right. In Japan MH would be GTA level in Japan when it came to marketing budget. The same applies for a game like Fifa. It is going to be huge in Europe and smaller in US.

But ultimately the game is made with a budget that is according to worldwide sales. MHW didn't have 5 million expectation from Japan alone. 

So the game being AAA or not isn't fully determined based on marketing budget for one region.

Edited by Shadoken

Anyway back to the game discussion. 

The biggest red flag is that they are using Generic characters instead of the RE heroes like Chris,Leon...etc. That could mean they ain't taking this as seriously as their main titles. 

But on the other hand a Developer just confirmed that the trailer was in-game so graphics do look pretty damn good. 

6 hours ago, Shadoken said:

Genres change over time as well. A game like Tekken 3 or FF7  were top of the line AAA titles at the time. With huge budgets that were way higher than most games. 

If you look at their budgets now it is lower than what it was when adjusted for inflation and their respective time.

As for MH being bigger in Japan. You are absolutely right. In Japan MH would be GTA level in Japan when it came to marketing budget. The same applies for a game like Fifa. It is going to be huge in Europe and smaller in US.

But ultimately the game is made with a budget that is according to worldwide sales. MHW didn't have 5 million expectation from Japan alone. 

So the game being AAA or not isn't fully determined based on marketing budget for one region.

I know a AAA game isn't determined based on the marketing budget in a single region. My point was that definition of a AAA needs to change in terms requiring a specific marketing budget. Development budget i can understand, but in today's time, you can make a relatively high budget game belonging to a niche genre and not spending a lot on marketing and still succeed. A niche game like Dark Souls or Persona are not going to require high marketing budget simply because it is not going to make a lot of difference. They will market in a different way, which would be lot more effective and efficient as compared to a traditional AAA western game.

I don't get the complaints looks ok I guess. But I feel like this should have been an MP mode for RE2 or something. Don't feel like its going to be worth $60. Maybe a $20 or $40 title might be ok.

And why use those freaking generic a*s characters , at least give a character creator or let us use existing characters like Leon,Claire,Hunk,Chris..etc you already have the models ready for them. Am guessing its going to be DLC bait. This game would be pretty damn cool if we could pick those characters as heroes and villains like Tyrant,Nemesis,Wesker..etc.

Edited by Shadoken