Farcry 5

Engineer

5 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Man I hate how new AC fans crap on every game before Black Flag. Those are still classics and made the franchise what it is today.

AC2 and Brotherhood are must play games. Revelations didn't live up to the hype but was still good. 

3 is meh, Rogue is slightly better. 4 is good, Unity and Syndicate are decent as well.

I tried playing AC2 again last year. It just does not hold up well. It was favourite game when it came out but today the graphics look really bad. There are so many bloom effects and white outlines everywhere and the controls feel awkward. 

The best "old style AC" game you can play today is Unity. It has the same "social stealth in a super dense urban environment" style while looking gorgeous and feeling smooth. (The downside is the story is really forgettable)

5 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Man I hate how new AC fans crap on every game before Black Flag. Those are still classics and made the franchise what it is today.

AC2 and Brotherhood are must play games. Revelations didn't live up to the hype but was still good. 

3 is meh, Rogue is slightly better. 4 is good, Unity and Syndicate are decent as well.

Don't think anyone trashes Ezio trilogy at all. It is best overall. However, they are quite dated and don't play well now. 

Unity is all visuals. Syndicate is not bad. 

The new AC games are nothing like AC anymore. Just another open world game. zzzz. ?

On 8/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, cyberpunk said:

I have seen the opposite tbh.

It's more like boomers bitching 24*7 about 

>hurr why do these new ACs have all super power abilities and why are they open world 

>durr why aren't they set in some generic European renaissance era city where i can be a kewl hooded ninja just like the good old days

Literally in atleast till Odyssey you can still be le hooded ninja if you want, but then people still be bitching about RPG style level caps stopping 1 shot assassinations from behind( seems valid but idc about full stealth gameplay )

Only problem i have are the stupid modern day scenes with the Egyptian chick, could give 0 f**ks about modern day "story", this is historical tourism game.

Now boomers bitch about the above two points i've mentioned, but pre-Origins i remember they used to whine about how every AC is "the same" :lol:

When Ubi turned the series into open world action adventure style with rpg elements now they are crying about that :rofl:

By contrast FC series has been same-ish all the time.

6 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Now boomers bitch about the above two points i've mentioned, but pre-Origins i remember they used to whine about how every AC is "the same" :lol:

When Ubi turned the series into open world action adventure style with rpg elements now they are crying about that :rofl:

AC wasn't the same though? Ezio trilogy - AC3 - Black Flag - Syndicate. They all changed for the formula without breaking the core AC part. Now they moved past AC and turned into another open world garbage. 

7 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Same story. Everyone liked what they did with FC3. FC4 and 5 not so much because they are mostly same and inferior to FC3. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

It's not boomers. More like people with actual taste, lmao. The new AC games are just sh*t. If they couldn't think of something cool should've just canned the series. Actually, Ubisoft as a studio is creatively bankrupt at this point. Doubt anyone will miss anything if they sh*t down. 

Yeah, has nothing to do with boomers. Anyone who played all AC games can very well say new AC games are nothing like before. They are just using AC name for easy marketing as it still sells. 

On 8/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, PhantomShade said:

I have seen the opposite tbh.

It's more like boomers bitching 24*7 about 

>hurr why do these new ACs have all super power abilities and why are they open world 

>durr why aren't they set in some generic European renaissance era city where i can be a kewl hooded ninja just like the good old days

Literally in atleast till Odyssey you can still be le hooded ninja if you want, but then people still be bitching about RPG style level caps stopping 1 shot assassinations from behind( seems valid but idc about full stealth gameplay )

Only problem i have are the stupid modern day scenes with the Egyptian chick, could give 0 f**ks about modern day "story", this is historical tourism game.

Not boomers, more like Millennials/Zillenials. :P 

On 8/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, Joe Cool said:

Also, people wouldn't so called bitch if RPG system was actually any good. Just adding herp derp equipment, choices, and skill tree doesn't make a great RPG game. 

This. It just feels half baked and plays like poor man's Witcher 3.

Odyssey is quite good. Offers great gameplay with multiple options and characters and story also not bad.

I love that you can create multiple builds and play the game however you like in Odyssey. I started new game + on nightmare with pure assassin build. This build great for Silent assassin style gameplay but if you go  head to head against more than 2 enemies at one time, they will f*** you up dark souls style.

On easy builds and all rpg systems are useless but on hard and nightmare rpg systems really shines. You have to invest in certain type of stats to succeed on nightmare. Jack of all trades type build only works easy not hard.

Valhalla is alright, not bad. Its better than Origins but not as good as Odyssey for me. Origins i hated the most. Just finished story and deleted it. Odyssey i 100% as i really enjoyed it.

Edited by WhiteWolf

On 8/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, Joe Cool said:

Also, people wouldn't so called bitch if RPG system was actually any good. Just adding herp derp equipment, choices, and skill tree doesn't make a great RPG game. 

Odyssey new mastery system made skill tree really good. 

Problem is all Ubisoft games meh at launch. Come back to it after few updates and you will enjoy it more.

Odyssey team is best AC team. Quebec team very fast with content fixes and take feedback seriously. 

I enjoyed all Quebec team games from Syndicate to Odyssey and recently immortals. They gameplay and fun 1st type of developers. 

They made climbing less of a chore in Syndicate by adding grappling hook n all lol. 

Bringing back the discussion on-topic:

I tried Far Cry 5 over the free weekend. Everything about the game just felt "pretty ok". My thoughts:

Progression seemed a bit whack to me. You can get a wingsuit right off the bat. You can also find a plane and fly all over the map immediately after the tutorial area. I guess its good for people who like the freedom but I liked it a lot more in Far Cry 3 where you got the wingsuit halfway through the game. It felt like this big epic thing. 

I liked the opening cinematic. The religious vibes and all are pretty cool. 

Stealth melee is very unsatifsying because they force you to use blunt weapons. Not sure what the thought process behind that was. FC3 had a knife and it felt way more satisfying

Didn't like the craftng system. Just give a dedicated menu, instead of the weird expanded weapon wheel like thing. 

A lot about this game just feels kind of half hearted. The companions seem just ok. The feel when liberating camps isn't very satisfying. Just kind of meh. 

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Bringing back the discussion on-topic:

I tired Far Cry 5 over the free weekend. Everything about the game just felt "pretty ok". My thoughts:

Progression seemed a bit whack to me. You can get a wingsuit right off the bat. You can also  find a plane and fly all over the map immediately after the tutorial area. I guess its good for people to like the freedom but I liked it a lot more in Far Cry 3 where you got the wingsuit halfway through the game. It felt like this big epic thing. 

I liked the opening cinematic. The religious vibes and all are pretty cool. 

Stealth melee is very unsatifsying because they force you to use blunt weapons. Not sure what the thought process behind that was. FC3 had a knife and it felt way more satisfying

Didn't like the craftng system. Just give a dedicated menu, instead of the weird expanded weapon wheel like thing. 

A lot about this game just feels kind of half hearted. The companions seem just ok. The feel when liberating camps isn't very satisfying. Just kind of meh. 

Similar thoughts. However I loved the game because I played it as a co-op with a friend on xbox one S. The tedious & repetitive missions felt a lot more fun that way. I am pretty sure had I been playing alone - I would have stopped mid-way and watched the story over YouTube.

• 11 months later...

So was playing this on GP, everything is half-assed, even the shooting feels unsatisfactory, the attachments are very shallow since they are the same for every individual gun and add no real value to gameplay, like the sniper scopes have just 2 levels of zoom no matter you buy the high end or low end one :rofl: and the  guns themselves are majorly reskins, you have the AR-C which is basically the same gun in AR and sniper rifle forms :lol: , "assault rifles" include that ancient 45/75 whatever gun you get in RDR2, and one Lee Enfield looking rifle, there are 2x of these with just cosmetic differences.

Which brings me to the biggest problem of this game, progression, by the time you clear 2x provinces like Faith and John's, you have everything unlocked, a good plane, helicopter with guns, and all the guns in the shops, the maximum you need is 9 region liberation points.

The rest of the guns and vehicles can be gained by farming money, this can be done by killing animals and selling their skins or raiding those prepper stashes.

So now i'm bored with the game without even finishing it, i mean wtf :roflroll:

There is 0 reward for grinding through the Jacob region, no new weapon unlocks or vehicles, I mean literally why continue.

Good it's on GP, this goes regularly for 600 or so on steam, it's still not worth that money, I'm gonna buy Wildlands/Breakpoint or FC6 now.