Official GamePass Thread

WhiteWolf

3 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Yea, although they burnt a ton of money to start with.

I was more referring to per content revenue or performance. CC was talking about Capcom for instance. I doubt we'll get anything that detailed from Microsoft considering Netflix or Prime isn't transparent or granular about any of that either. 

At least Netflix and Prime are open about whether they are profitable or not overall. MS isn't even open about that either as far as their gaming division is concerned. 

3 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

GP is the reason multiple ponies became Xbox players this gen.

Ank talking about buying Xbox coz of Game pass. So game pass only reason people care about Xbox now. MS can't back track or kill Game pass now unless they want to quit gaming business. 

That is actually true. Take away game pass and Xbox becomes largely irrelevant

Edited by Sach4life

33 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

MS isn't even open about that either as far as their gaming division is concerned. 

it doesn't need to. for MS, gaming is not just Xbox, it's PC too. Loss today is trivial compared to profit potential in the future

it doesn't need to. for MS, gaming is not just Xbox, it's PC too. Loss today is trivial compared to profit potential in the future
That doesn't make any sense. Even if its PC as well, they are not open about that either.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

you can't take away gamepass - that's like taking away PS exclusives which would make PS irrelevant
I am not taking anything away. I am replying to a post which said that MS would not take away Gamepass since thats the only thing working for them.

not talking about pc gamepass
My point is that be it Netflix or Amazon, every company posts their profitablity (and loss) numbers, regardless of their business model (loss first, profits later).

12 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

My point is that be it Netflix or Amazon, every company posts their profitablity (and loss) numbers, regardless of their business model (loss first, profits later).

MS also posts P/L

22 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Not for their gaming division

it doesn't need to. for MS, gaming is not just Xbox, it's PC too (and not just gaming). Loss today is trivial compared to profit potential in the future

Edited by 0verlord

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Amazon does declare their revenue from Prime on top of member count. I'm not asking about individual series sales, they can't do that anyway because they don't sell them like gaming stores do. But every single time you hear a success story about GP, from MS or 3rd party, its always vague percentage numbers. How does Codemasters know their numbers jumped because of GP? I bought Dirt 5 on steam because it was 250rs last week, has nothing to do with subscription. It was 50% off for purchase elsewhere in 3 months, which is a lot faster than Dirt 4. And I bet it will never cross the lifetime sales number of Dirt 4.

So this is where's we're missing some of the detail. Prime is a combination of multiple services - Grocery, Music, Video, Gaming, Books, etc. Again, I could be wrong (I always allow for that fact), but Amazon does not break out revenue or performance numbers for each of those lines of service. We were specifically discussing video, I think.

And yea, those vague percentage numbers (as I said) are pretty obvious. Give people a ton of games, and games played/user will go up. Nothing earth shatteringly revealing there.

Not very sure what you're saying about Dirt 5, though. Are you saying GP will lead to lower sales for Dirt 5? I can see that happening, but that's another change that comes with the move to subscription services I guess. Less "sales" and more residual/royalties per use. I don't think any artist on Spotify can claim a "sale" when you're essentially playing just one of their songs as part of a playlist. You'd call it a "play" or "stream".

Curiosity without bias is worth celebrating. Unfortunately, majority of the time, thats not what goes on in this thread. People who don't own the console give unsolicited advice on the pitfalls of looking at anything Microsoft with a positive mindset. It's not really clear who they think their audience is because people who own the console are mostly discussing games, save two who troll the so called Ponies (which is also not cool). 

And there is a clear difference between actual users/owners discussing pros and cons of the products & services vs people who just read something on the internet and then come to opine here.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

I hope people realize that being happy about GP and wondering about how MS does it are not mutually exclusive things. Most people are capable of being curious without being cynical.

Totally agree. I just wish some of the others liking your post were less troll-ey about making any points they want to be make. Not every post need to push an agenda. The neutral pov you're speaking of is rare here, and the community doesn't need dividing.

It's hilarious that non-owners seem to have so much hate rather than letting owners just do their own thing :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 0verlord said:

it doesn't need to. for MS, gaming is not just Xbox, it's PC too (and not just gaming). Loss today is trivial compared to profit potential in the future

Again, that makes no sense. PC and gaming divisions are totally different. 

3 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Thats revenue, not profitability (or loss) numbers. They don't reveal that :)

Reading comptehension next time please :lol:

Edited by Sach4life