Half-Life: Alyx

SRINI87

On 11/23/2019 at 12:42 AM, Heaven Angel said:

People who can't use VR can wait for the normal release. I just hope it happens, the trailer was good.

I sure hope this happens. I don't think I can ever use VR and this is the first game which I am gonna miss.

2 hours ago, Bauji said:

This is BS. Completely ridiculous article. As per experts VR is dying and everyone knows it.

:lol: 

3 hours ago, Bauji said:

This is BS. Completely ridiculous article. As per experts VR is dying and everyone knows it.

Nobody said it's dying, it's just very niche. We need more half life type big names to make it gain ground against traditional gaming.

Edited by triggr happy ss

1 hour ago, triggr happy ss said:

Nobody said it's dying, it's just very niche. We need more half life type big names to make it gain ground against traditional gaming.

We don't mind VR goes into traditional business but because a huge chuck of audience dosen't like and can't even use VR. We need a proper (non-vr) launch of these games too, the problem is exclusivity. 

As someone said they'll be silent about the normal release so that people will buy the VR headsets for the game and after the hype is over let's say within a year they might release the normal version of the game where majority is waiting. 

From the trailer, there are many sections of the game which are made with VR headset in mind. Those sections would be ridiculous to play without VR. Some games are just made for VR from the ground up. For example Batman Arkham VR will be extremely lame game if ever converted to normal game minus VR experience.

Yeah, this game was built from the ground up for VR. Valve wanted to make a VR game first and then went with the HL franchise for it and not the other way around.

I find it a little funny that people even want to play a non-VR version of this. It's almost like if people looked at Crysis back in 2007 or even HL2 back in 2004 and wanted PS2 versions of those just because they didn't own a high-end PC.

It is just not meant for it.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

Have we not seen a normal game having a VR version? It's all upto developers, if they are willing to and have a proper base of a game ready then they can make any version of a game. This is Valve we are talking about, for them making changes is a no big deal. It's just a matter of time. 

15 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Yeah, this game was built from the ground up for VR. Valve wanted to make a VR game first and then went with the HL franchise for it and not the other way around.

I find it a little funny that people even want to play a non-VR version of this. It's almost like if people looked at Crysis back in 2007 or even HL2 back in 2004 and wanted PS2 versions of those just because they didn't own a high-end PC.

It is just not meant for it.

That's a weird analogy. For me at least, the problem is not the hardware but the technology which induces nauseating feeling for some. I agree there are a lot of mechanics built for VR but that doesn't mean they can't tweak it to release a non VR version. Whether they are willing to do it or not is another question.

24 minutes ago, b!T said:

That's a weird analogy. For me at least, the problem is not the hardware but the technology which induces nauseating feeling for some. I agree there are a lot of mechanics built for VR but that doesn't mean they can't tweak it to release a non VR version. Whether they are willing to do it or not is another question.

The problem with motion sickness is that a lot of early VR games didn't know the fact that you can not decouple head movement from camera movement. The moment the camera starts moving independent of you head movement, the gyro in you ears go crazy and makes you feel queasy. And a lot of early games were just straight up ports of normal walking/driving games.

Eventually devs are figuring it out and making games for VR from ground up that doesn't make you motion sick. They realise that your brain doesn't like it when things go shaky shaky when you're sitting perfectly still. This is why most modern VR games give you complete control over head tracking based camera view. 

RE7 is perfect example of what happens when you straight up port a game to VR. Lot of scenes where enemies throw you around like a rag doll, and believe me that game will make you feel like you're on a boat in the middle of a storm.

1 hour ago, b!T said:

Like I said, the game is a VR title first and an HL title second.

It is meant as a showcase for VR and what it is capable of. By asking for a non-VR version, you're basically asking to rip out all the things that make the game what it is and negate everything that the game is going for. 

I personally feel it's better to ask for a separate non-VR game than asking for a non-VR version of this.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

Yeah I think this is a Skyward Sword kind of a situation. Sure it could work in a traditional game but most of the decisions they have made for gameplay would end up being pointless. 

It sucks that 3D never really took off. The few games I played in 3D were really REALLY fun. I hope VR does take off cause it can be a fantastic add on for games. 

Hopefully we can start getting good VR headsets for sub 200 soon. 

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

The problem with motion sickness is that a lot of early VR games didn't know the fact that you can not decouple head movement from camera movement. The moment the camera starts moving independent of you head movement, the gyro in you ears go crazy and makes you feel queasy. And a lot of early games were just straight up ports of normal walking/driving games.

Eventually devs are figuring it out and making games for VR from ground up that doesn't make you motion sick. They realise that your brain doesn't like it when things go shaky shaky when you're sitting perfectly still. This is why most modern VR games give you complete control over head tracking based camera view. 

RE7 is perfect example of what happens when you straight up port a game to VR. Lot of scenes where enemies throw you around like a rag doll, and believe me that game will make you feel like you're on a boat in the middle of a storm.

I sure hope you are right. Even though I had to stop playing within 10-15 mins, VR does has its charm.

4 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Like I said, the game is a VR title first and an HL title second.

It is meant as a showcase for VR and what it is capable of. By asking for a non-VR version, you're basically asking to rip out all the things that make the game what it is and negate everything that the game is going for. 

I personally feel it's better to ask for a separate non-VR game than asking for a non-VR version of this.

I would love to if they make another one. Missing a half life game is tough as the nostalgia is strong with this one.

1 hour ago, Bauji said:

Ohh. Re7 is known to cause this but if Astro Bot is also causing nausea then VR might not be for you.

I would say it was prominent during RE7 but Astro bot was also very uncomfortable after 15-20 mins. I decided VR is not for me but when titles like half life comes out, you miss it :|