Half-Life: Alyx

SRINI87

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, SRINI87 said:

I understand the desire behind this mod and there is no harm in having options I suppose but....as someone who got Oculus quest 2 a couple of days back and has been playing this in VR, its a VR game through and through and is better for it. Playing it in VR is a feeling that we got when we moved from 2D to 3D games, its next gen next level. It wouldnt be 10% as impactful in non-VR. 

I am there physically in the game world when I am playing it! Its so natural. it took me quite some time to stop my brain forcing me to physically walk in the game. It seems so real that its natural to feel like walking. Its good that quest 2's virtual boundaries pop-up and save me from hitting things. Man, this will probably end up as the best gaming experience of my life. It cant be described, only experienced.

Edited by kittoo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed a friend's Oculus Quest 2 and started playing this.

And HOLY FCUKIGN sh*t I do not have words to describe how awesome this game looks in VR. The awesomeness was almost too much for me to handle. My jaw hit the floor and just remained there.

Playing it on Ultra fidelity and the graphics, the physics, the interactivity, and the level of detail are just mind-blowingly bonkers! It feels like I've time-travelled several years into the future where sh*t like this is actually supposed to be possible.

And I don't know what black magic Valve has done, but I didn't feel motion sick at all even with continuous motion enabled.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

pI05CQO.gif

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

Man, this game is so far ahead of anything I've ever experienced in gaming. It's so immersive that when I remove the headset after a fairly long session, I actually have this weird out-of-body experience where my own hands don't feel like my hands anymore :lol:

Also, I've been grabbing and throwing any glass bottle I can find using the wonderfully intuitive gravity gloves for an achievement (and also because it's satisfying as f**k). It had become so instinctive to me that when I grabbed a glass bottle IRL, I had this strong urge to fling it across the room :lol:

And speaking of glass bottles, it feels insane when you see the liquid sloshing around inside them with realistic physics.

The level of detail really can't be overstated. Even the ingredients and sh*t on the backs of random soda cans are legible.

• 2 weeks later...

The game's getting better and better.

Just completed the zoo level and absolutely loved the atmosphere there. The antlions look amazing in VR and shooting off their limbs is incredibly satisfying!

And speaking of atmosphere, the game can almost be classified as survival-horror considering the slow pacing and all the creepy locations you have to go through.

One level has you actually holding your mouth so you don't cough and alert a blind super zombie that keeps hounding you throughout the level.

Also, figured out how to take screenshots in VR. They obviously look way better in VR though

goaS1pC.jpg

apcQ9RI.jpg

v4BO4tB.jpg

This sh*t looks gnarly in VR.

c64BQ60.jpg

f5BI0no.jpg

jRdIlq3.jpg

pPTix8E.jpg

An7GWAq.jpg

GlozuRf.jpg

9Hqh0E7.jpg

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

So tempted to play this game. But I can't use VR. Hate this mandatory sh*t, I want to play this mastapiece... 

The game would suck without VR. Trust me.

Everything from the gameplay mechanics and puzzles right down to the level design and enemy AI has been developed for VR.

I really hope Valve and Sony bring this to PSVR2 so more people can enjoy it.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

Finished it! Man, does it feel good to have played a Valve game again after all these years.

It's absolutely a jaw-dropping full-fledged VR game that everyone needs to experience. There are some incredibly epic visuals towards the end sprinkled in with some badass sequences and also some mind-f**kery for good measure.

And even the story took a very interesting turn with a tease that made me anticipate HL3 all over again. I thought I was over all that a f**king decade ago :ranting:

Also, after playing this I want Valve to make HL3 VR-only too :fear:

Going back to seeing this beautifully gloomy and atmospheric world through a flat-screen again would feel like a downgrade :|

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 9:56 PM, STICK3Rboy said:

The game's getting better and better.

Just completed the zoo level and absolutely loved the atmosphere there. The antlions look amazing in VR and shooting off their limbs is incredibly satisfying!

And speaking of atmosphere, the game can almost be classified as survival-horror considering the slow pacing and all the creepy locations you have to go through.

One level has you actually holding your mouth so you don't cough and alert a blind super zombie that keeps hounding you throughout the level.

Also, figured out how to take screenshots in VR. They obviously look way better in VR though

goaS1pC.jpg

apcQ9RI.jpg

v4BO4tB.jpg

This sh*t looks gnarly in VR.

c64BQ60.jpg

f5BI0no.jpg

jRdIlq3.jpg

pPTix8E.jpg

An7GWAq.jpg

GlozuRf.jpg

9Hqh0E7.jpg

WOW! What VR hardware did you use? 

42 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Oculus Quest 2 paired with a PC having a 3070.

I thought quest 2 is a standalone hardware? can it be connected to PC as well?

36 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

it's wireless device, right? How long the charges hold?

Yeah, it's wireless. I get around 1.5-2h of playtime over wireless streaming through PC. Not quite sure about playing games stored locally.

And it takes around 2.5h to fully charge.

The low battery life can get pretty annoying TBH.

But after having spent quite a bit of time with PSVR (which is wired), I think I still prefer the wireless solution even with its charging hassles.

17 minutes ago, b!T said:

I thought quest 2 is a standalone hardware? can it be connected to PC as well?

Yup. There's a few different ways to do it (both wired and wireless).

I'm using the Virtual Desktop app to stream the game wirelessly from my PC. The app costs $20 but works near-flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Half-Life 2 RTX, An RTX Remix Project - Announce Trailer

Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project is a new community-made remaster of one of the highest-rated games of all time, Valve’s Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2 RTX is being developed by four of Half-Life 2’s top mod teams, now known as Orbifold Studios. Using the latest version of RTX Remix, the modders are leveraging NVIDIA technologies including full ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS 3, NVIDIA Reflex, and RTX IO to deliver a fantastic experience for GeForce RTX gamers. Take a first look at the announce trailer for Half-Life 2 RTX: An RTX Remix Project.

Damn!!

• 4 months later...