End of the Decade discussion

Been seeing quite a bunch of "end of the decade" discussions and thought we should have one too. Would be nice to see what games were most loved and hated by the community.

jbareham_191027_0968_100_decade_0001.png

What was your:

• Best game of the decade?
  • Worst game of the decade?
  • Biggest disappointment of the decade?
  • Game that changed gaming of the decade?
  • Game that you played the most?
  • Soundtrack of the decade?
  • Story of the decade?
  • Game that you will continue to play during next decade?

I'll start - 

• Despite all my issues with Witcher 3, it would be still my game of the decade. While I prefer SKYRIM more for pure exploration and modding, W3 does better without any user changes. Plus, expansions were fantastic.
  • Worst and biggest disappointment of the decade is a good battle between Fallout 76 and Anthem. 
  • Dark Souls changed the gaming this decade. Decade ending and none of the other games actually match the same quality. From Software did an amazing job with the series and am looking forward to more...even the rip offs. Remnant came out well. 
  • SKYRIM most played this decade. Too much modding and too much exploration. Everyday felt like a new adventure. Never ends. 
  • Soundtrack - very hard to pick one but Persona 5 had an amazing soundtrack package. Theme would be SKYRIM again. 
  • Story of the decade - The Last of Us. Easy choice.
  • Will continue to play - Destiny 2 and Warframe. Probably only games I've been playing for last 3+ months. 

Overall pretty good decade but okay-ish 2019. 

Looking forward to next decade. :cheers:

• Like 3

For me :

Best game of the decade? Last of us. A game of stealth, action and more so, emotions. Good RPGs have come and gone but this one hit every possible checkbox there is in a game. 

Worst game of the decade? Anthem. Although I have never played it, just by the expectation of it and in the end, the tragedy of it. And ultimately, the publisher giving up on it. Has to be one of the most lulz in gaming history.

Biggest disappointment of the decade? Fallout 76. Much was expected after the success of the series and what a disappointment

Game that changed gaming of the decade? Last of Us

Game that you played the most? Division 2. Sank a lot of hours in this game this year. Worth it while it lasted

Soundtrack of the decade? Skyrim. 

Story of the decade? Death Stranding. How it all unfolds with every episode. 

Game that you will continue to play during next decade? Don't think there is a game like that. Maybe, destiny 2 or guild wars 2 but unsure.

• Like 1

Damn dude. Dark souls really came out this decade. For some reason in my mind its an early last gen game that came out around 2008. 

It has to be the most influential game of the decade. "Like Dark Souls/Dark Souls Like" and "the Dark Souls of <insert genre here>" literally became part of gaming lexicon. I really cant think of anything else that has had that much influence if not in design than at least in PR. 

PUBG is probably a very close second. For a while there everything was BR. Even now game's are chasing that high. Because of PUBG we had Forza and Tetris BR, imagine explaining that to someone in 2009. 

Both those games left such a huge imprint on gaming. 

Best game of the decade? - Dark Souls

Worst game of the decade? - 

Biggest disappointment of the decade? - Wolfenstein Young Blood

Game that changed gaming of the decade? - Dark Souls

Game that you played the most? Dark Souls

Soundtrack of the decade? Very very hard to choose. Dark Souls trilogy Music is on spot.

Story of the decade? SOULS LORE

Game that you will continue to play during next decade? Max Payne 3

Best game of the decade?

The last of is. The reviews were spectacular and called it as the citizen kane of gaming and what not.  At launch when I started playing the first few hours were slow and boring. Was waiting for iconic ND humor and setpieces but it never came. But then it starts to grow on you and grips you in ways never imagined. And then you have that ending. 2 years later  i played it again on ps4 but this time as a father of a baby girl and it directly became GOAT. still cant watch and end up skipping/fast forwarding the opening scene with young Joel and his daughter. 

Worst game of the decade? Assassin's creed unity. What a shot show. Only AC game i didn't finish. 

Biggest disappointment of the decade? MGS 5 TPP. Kojima's big boss character arc was supposed to be like Anakin/darth vader from star wars but somewhere down the line kojima fell way way too much in love with his own character to give it a proper send-off. After multiple games it looked like BB will finally descend into madness after the initial promising trailers but this turned out to be a unfinished incomplete mess. The gameplay was one of the best this gen but everything else was garbage.

Game that changed gaming of the decade? Not a fan of the genre but has to be pubg/fortnite . And to make a wild prediction the game that will define the next gen is def legend of Zelda breath of the wild. With every game going open world, hyrule is still unmatched. You can see it's finger prints all over death stranding. 

Game that you played the most? Destiny. Lol.

Soundtrack of the decade? Death stranding. Amazing OST and with the number of Hollywood celebs visit kojima productions, i would be very very surprised if that guy doesn't get roped in to score for a movie or web series. 

Story of the decade? Last of us  though the new God of war comes very close. 

Game that you will continue to play during next decade? Destiny 2. Lol.

Best game of the decade? Breath of the Wild, Overwatch is a close second

Worst game of the decade? Advanced Warfare/Infinite Warfare LUL

Biggest disappointment of the decade? Resident Evil 6

Game that changed gaming of the decade? Fortnite

Game that you played the most? Destiny 

Soundtrack of the decade? Doom 2016

Story of the decade? TLoU

Game that you will continue to play during next decade? Destiny 2, Overwatch 2

^^Which one had Kevin Spacey in it? That one wasnt a dumpster fire TBH. 

Honestly though, even if I enjoy them when I play them, I cant really tell CoD games apart anymore. Everything after MW2 and BO is just a blur. 

7 hours ago, codwapeace said:

It is pretty poor compared to dark souls. Dark souls was magic with all the interconnected locations and shortcuts.

On the contrary, it is the best version of Souls especially if you care about interconnected levels and shortcuts and a proper hub world. Playing DS after DeS makes it feel lose and unfocused in terms of level design. Its like going from Arkham Asylum to Arkham City. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

^^Which one had Kevin Spacey in it? That one wasnt a dumpster fire TBH. 

Honestly though, even if I enjoy them when I play them, I cant really tell CoD games apart anymore. Everything after MW2 and BO is just a blur. 

I believe he was in AW. Agree that all the games in the series after BO1 have been mediocre at best.

Best game of the decade = Witcher 3

Worst game of the decade = NFS The Run 

Biggest disappointment of the decade = MGS 5 TPP

Game that changed gaming of the decade = The Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild

Game that you played the most = Witcher 3 and Destiny 2

Soundtrack of the decade = FIFA 16

Story of the decade = Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Mass Effect Trilogy and Call of Duty Modern Warfare trilogy.

Game that you will continue to play during next decade = Destiny 2

I don't know but it should be better if it's about what you played in this decade rather than games released this decade.

Best game of the decade : Dark Souls  

(bettered the demon's souls formula with the prefect idea and execution of an open world game (till anor Londo) and with the truly satisfying and tactical souls combat.

Worst game of the decade : Starhawk

I only play games that I like and could name a few games that I played just for the sake of it  having no expectations: Galgun 2, black ops 3.

or Games that I didn't enjoy at all but not being bad games : Heavy rain,bioshock 2, Assassin's creed 1 

and Clash of clans deserves a mention (having wasted so much time on it)

But the worst game I would say would be one of my first ps3 games and absolutely no good moments : Starhawk

Biggest disappointment of the decade :

tomb raider and God of war

Reboot no longer being a tomb raider game at all and instead a generic shooter.

God of War (2018) - Not the worst game for me in any way but expectations were too high and the changes made to my favorite video game series are such that it's no longer a god of war game and I was bored half of the time,

open world and traversal sucks, repeated enemies and mini bosses,

artificial difficulty at higher setting which tunrs out a chore, 

Extremely frustrating puzzles (if you even call them puzzles)

Changed narrative style.

Valkyrie fights were truly amazing though.

Game that changed gaming of the decade : Demon's souls

released in 2009 but it was this game that changed gaming for the whole decade and it would be unfair to not mention it as opposed to mentioning dark souls

Game that you played the most : Nioh and fieldrunners

it would probably be fieldrunners - Best tower defence game I have played and yet to find such an addictive game that values creativity and patterns over memory and theory without being complex.

Soundtrack of the decade : gwyn - Soul of cinder

Story of the decade : Yakuza 0 

(Not without its negatives as a whole but hands down the most engaging and heated story)

Edited by GunnerY2J

Best game of the decade? - MGS V. - I know MGSV not liked by many and it got lot of problems but i have spent 100s hours in MGSV across multiple platforms. I already said multiple times MGSV best game of gen and nothing will change that. :P

Worst game of the decade? - Cant think of any. I only play quality stuff

Biggest disappointment of the decade? - Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Game that changed gaming of the decade? - MGSV (Stealth genre was taken to next level by MGSV)

Game that you played the most? - SKYFORGE MMO (PS4 and PC)

Soundtrack of the decade? - Nothing stands out but i will go with Assassin Creed Odyssey and BloodBorne

Story of the decade? - Red dead Redemption 2  and Witcher 3

Game that you will continue to play during next decade? - Skyforge :P

Edited by WhiteWolf

6 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

On the contrary, it is the best version of Souls especially if you care about interconnected levels and shortcuts and a proper hub world. Playing DS after DeS makes it feel lose and unfocused in terms of level design. Its like going from Arkham Asylum to Arkham City.  

I think you would be in the minority if you think that DeS had better interconnected levels than DaS. The "hub" actually makes it feel disconnected to me.

Best game of the decade? Witcher 3 Single Player and Battlefield Bad Company 2 when it comes to multiplayer.

Worst game of the decade? Anthem.

Biggest disappointment of the decade? 

Game that changed gaming of the decade? PUBG.

Game that you played the most? CSGO.

Soundtrack of the decade? Witcher 3 / Last of Us

Story of the decade? Witcher 3

Game that you will continue to play during next decade? CSGO.

Best game of the decade?                                                                Red Dead Redemption 2

Worst game of the decade?                                                              Haven't played any. With my limited time, I only play the best rated games.

Biggest disappointment of the decade?                                         NFS Payback?

Game that changed gaming of the decade?                                  GTA 5 (pushed the open world exploration fun imo)

Game that you played the most?                                                     GTA 5/Apex Legends/Asphalt 8 (lmao)

Soundtrack of the decade?                                                               I adore the UC4 and RDR2 soundtracks but technically they were from UC2 and RDR,  so Witcher 3/FIFA 14                                                                                                                                    (does this count lol)

Story of the decade?                                                                          RDR2/Witcher 3 (still playing)

Game that you will continue to play during next decade?           Witcher 3 

Edited by Chirag2001

Best Game of the decade - So many it's hard to choose; but if I had to pick it will be Persona 4 Golden

Worst Game of the Decade - Don't play that many poor games; so can't say what's absolute worst

Biggest Disappointment of the Decade - Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. An absolute disappointment after the MGS4: Guns of the Patriots. At least MGS 4 had an amazing story and characters you actually cared about (Despite the heavy exposition and too many cutscenes). MGS5 did not even have that - and could not even care about the characters

Game that changed the Decade - Super Mario Odyssey. It really brought back the joys of childhood gaming on the Mitsubishi consoles back in the 90s without caring about all peripherals like OST, Story, Graphics, Cutscenes etc. Just absolute brilliant gameplay and you playing it. 

Game that you played the most - Most probably World of Warcraft simply by it's nature of an MMO (Blizz client doesn't release hours played though). Out of the timing I know it will most probably be Witcher 3 (299 Hours according to Steam)

Soundtrack of the Decade - Too many amazing soundtracks to choose from from this decade. I guess I will give it a tie between Bloodborne, Ori and the Blind Forest, Witcher 3, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky series and Ys 8. Can't choose between them

Story of the Decade - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Series (First Chapter, Second Chapter and the 3rd). Not many people know about this series of games unfortunately. It's a JRPG and graphics are a bit dated, so it will turn many people off. But it actually has one of the best story of this decade. It has everything - an amazing cast of characters that you will love; each with their own proper stories and motivations, a grand sense of adventure and an overall story that is actually far better than almost everything else including things like early seasons of Game of Thrones

Game that you will continue to play next decade - Other than the backlog - Persona 5 (Because extended version and sequel is coming). If it's continuous play; then it will mostly be WoW on and off (subbing when major content/new expansion comes; stopping it when I'm satisfied/bored with it)

• Like 1

Here's mine. As I was introduced to this forum in this decade I was a gamer before but a insouciant one. The one's who play the games just fun and never cared about who are the developers, publishers, consoles - PC, Steam - PSN - XBL, Nintendo, Online Multiplayer. But after I got here, It got everything complicated. 

Okay so .. 

Best game of the decade - Witcher 3, It's the best game I've played till now. RDR 2 on side if it holds the quality throughout the game. 

Worst game of the decade - Anthem, Yakuza and Breakpoint. 

Biggest disappointment of the decade - Anthem, I had a huge expectations form this game even though it's EA I had faith in Bioware. This might've been Destiny for me but sh*t.  

Game that changed gaming of the decade - Dark Souls/Sekiro without a doubt, the game has created a f**king genre. 

Game that you played the most - Witcher 3/Destiny 1 and 2 on charts. 

Soundtrack of the decade - Lots and Lots of good soundtrack but i'd choose Witcher 3. I still listen to them. 

Story of the decade - The Last of Us. 

Game that you will continue to play during next decade - RDR 2. Just started playing and it's not going to end before 2019. 30 hrs in and barely started chapter 2 quests.