BSNL FTTH High Ping

Alex Murphy

So, after drooling for about 20+ years I finally managed to built my own gaming PC. But the excitement was short lived due to non-availability of high speed internet for downloading games. I was stuck to my PS4 for so long that I did not realize decent PC games mostly need 30-50gb of digital data download. But then, BSNL FTTH came along and now I find myself checking steam deals almost every morning (lol) and I am also discovering the joy of online PC gaming. Download speed is decent at about 5 MB/s but I mostly play Insurgency Sandstorm and my minimum ping is always about 150ms. I am on the stock router/modem provided by BSNL.

My question is "Is there anything I can do to reduce my ping basically for all games I play online?".

I have tried methods listed here in this link "https://www.techcrises.com/windows-10/fix-high-ping/" except buying a new modem/router because my knowledge is zero when it comes to these stuffs. I would highly appreciate if someone can chip in help me choose a better router/modem. Also, I used an Ethernet cable to connect my PC to the modem.

Regards,

Siam

BSNL network routing is messed up. I don't think you'd be able to get anything below those pings. If you want to try you can call the customer care and try to explain them that your pings are high and get them to change the routing (good luck explaining this to them).

Another thing you can do is visit your nearest BSNL exchange, get hold of a JE or SDE and explain him your problem, maybe they'd be able to help.

150ms to 350ms is the range I always get on BSNL (depending on the game). These number have always stayed the same in my experience of 12 years of BSNL Broadband.

Also, router/modem has nothing to do with this.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhoCantBeNamed said:

BSNL network routing is messed up. I don't think you'd be able to get anything below those pings. If you want to try you can call the customer care and try to explain them that your pings are high and get them to change the routing (good luck explaining this to them).

Another thing you can do is visit your nearest BSNL exchange, get hold of a JE or SDE and explain him your problem, maybe they'd be able to help.

150ms to 350ms is the range I always get on BSNL (depending on the game). These number have always stayed the same in my experience of 12 years of BSNL Broadband.

Also, router/modem has nothing to do with this.

Thanks.

Thank you so much for quick reply and insight. I live in a remote location and BSNL FTTH is the fastest internet available as of now. I guess I will wait for Jio Gigafiber to arrive and see if that will help me.

Merry Christmas

1 hour ago, Alex Murphy said:

Thank you so much for quick reply and insight. I live in a remote location and BSNL FTTH is the fastest internet available as of now. I guess I will wait for Jio Gigafiber to arrive and see if that will help me.

Merry Christmas

I am in a similar situation as you. Although my location isn't remote but here no ISP is available except BSNL Broadband. Heck, not even Bharat Fiber is available here, and I live just 200 metres away from the exchange.

So yeah, keep trying. Hope you get your pings improved. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! 

On 12/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, Alex Murphy said:

Merry Christmas

I tried Jio Fiber recently & Its total crap when it comes to gaming. Speed is good u get 100mbps but pings are horrible (150-180++). I have been using my local ISP from past few years now I always get around 75-100 Mbps UP/Down with pings ranging from 50 - 80. So its better to try some local ISP rather than going for JIO. 

On 12/26/2019 at 2:02 PM, WhoCantBeNamed said:

I would recommend this over any other option. The JE and SDE will understand what you mean and it's what I did as well years ago on BSNL. Not sure about now because I moved from BSNL a couple of years back but you should try this.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:43 PM, TAZ said:

I tried Jio Fiber recently & Its total crap when it comes to gaming. Speed is good u get 100mbps but pings are horrible (150-180++). I have been using my local ISP from past few years now I always get around 75-100 Mbps UP/Down with pings ranging from 50 - 80. So its better to try some local ISP rather than going for JIO. 

How do you check for pings? Can we check pings for a particular game server?

1 hour ago, WhoCantBeNamed said:

If you know the server address/IP address of the game server, you can check the ping using a PC/laptop.

I usually check my ping at speedtest. I have been using Jio Fiber and I usually get around 4-10ms and my laptop is on WiFi. But @TAZ mentioned that he was getting 50-80 with jio fiber. So i wanted to to know how he was checking his ping.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Infamous said:

I usually check my ping at speedtest. I have been using Jio Fiber and I usually get around 4-10ms and my laptop is on WiFi. But @TAZ mentioned that he was getting 50-80 with jio fiber. So i wanted to to know how he was checking his ping.

See the pings we get on speedtest are usually from nearest server. But it totally changes when u check it for any game as the servers are located quite far & in Majority of the games we have asian or European servers.. And to check ping for any particular game u need to check them In game settings under network section almost all games have that option to select the server u want to play on depending on the ping you are getting on that particular server.. Like in fortnite is shows around 90-110 Ping on Uae server on JIO but same server on my local ISP shows around 50-65 but on speedtest shows 10 ping. So u can only check the real ping of the game from in game network settings..