Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

8 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Cho Chang. ? 

Game was awesome though. 

Never played the game, didn't have money for a console back then.

You can't deny Umbridge is the best minor antagonist in the entire series. Plus the elements of Dumbledore vs Ministry, Formation of the Order, The DA, and that whole episode with Neville and his gran at St Mungo's, but thats only in the book but easily an amazing sub-plot which pushes Neville as a character, and fighting Bellatric and the killing the final Horcrux in the last movie, it was pretty great.

As far as Cho Chang goes, I like Ginny but hey in the books she's a fearless badass but in the movies she's super timid.

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

300 and Troy is historical fiction

Clash of titans is action fantasy

Gladiator is historical drama/fiction.

My point ^^

Fantasy and Fiction aren't interchangeable, especially considering fantasy is split into high fantasy, where even the world is fictional, and low fantasy which is fictional elements in the real world.

30 minutes ago, Snake said:

300 and Troy is historical fiction
Clash of titans is action fantasy
Gladiator is historical drama/fiction.

So yeah, I do know about genres....but then you think John Wick is a bland movie and dhan dhana dhan is GOAT, so I digress.

Well you might be wrong for one in saying that it is not fantasy at all.

300 is indeed fantasy as well.
(Fiction is a very broad word)

Not saying you are wrong in marking it as historical fiction but historical fantasy suits more for me and isn't wrong to classify it as one.

And yes, I do have a personal preference as opposed to liking every trending thing on the market.

But you care so much for such a long away post of me liking a particular movie and not liking another [emoji14]

So another one for you if you do again feel the need to mention it in future posts along with dhan dhana dhan (along with glorifying the statement as well : GOAT, all I said it was underrated and later understood some of other people's points and changed it to a personal guilty pleasure movie which I still like)

and John wick :

I dislike every marvel movie made this decade, find the jokes and repeated entry scenes frustrating and the plot very uninteresting, haven't watched more than half of them probably.

(Last marvel movie I enjoyed would be Spiderman 1 and 2 - the ones with Tobey Maguire)
103502adc65ab1ce7450d91a1f0fdab4.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Edited by GunnerY2J

So basically you will categorize movies as you please and also be a edgelord.

You deserve a custom title for this, IVG's Roger Ebert

21 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Mah n****..

The only othet person on IVG, i guess, who enjoyed Order of the phoenix game.

Was the first game on my Ps3 in 2008 :wOOtjumpy:

Exploring Hogwarts was so good. 

They should remake/remaster all HP games. Will be amazing with new tech. 

17 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

You can't deny Umbridge is the best minor antagonist in the entire series. Plus the elements of Dumbledore vs Ministry, Formation of the Order, The DA, and that whole episode with Neville and his gran at St Mungo's, but thats only in the book but easily an amazing sub-plot which pushes Neville as a character, and fighting Bellatric and the killing the final Horcrux in the last movie, it was pretty great.

As far as Cho Chang goes, I like Ginny but hey in the books she's a fearless badass but in the movies she's super timid.

I don't like Umbridge but I guess that was the point. Dislike the antagonist. There were surely some good parts but also bad. 

From story point - Azkaban and Chamber for me.

From fun point - Goblet of Fire and Order of the Pheonix. 

Not a fan of Cho or Ginny. Lovegood all the way. 72uBLgI.gif 

21 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

I dislike every marvel movie made this decade, find the jokes and repeated entry scenes frustrating and the plot very uninteresting, haven't watched more than half of them probably.

You are not alone if that helps. Most of the Marvel movies sucked and even more so on multiple viewings. The biggest letdown was Endgame! 

Also, fiction is too wide and loose term. Majority of movies are fiction but not fantasy. 300 is indeed Historical fantasy. There are lot of sub-genre under fantasy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

You seen Doctor Strange? Didnt like that? 

Good to see Scarlett and Florence together. 

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

The biggest letdown was Endgame! 

After seeing how most franchises ruin their finales, Endgame was a great conclusion. It's not easy wrapping up so many plot lines and arcs, Star Wars and GoT both failed at that.

3 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

You are not alone if that helps. Most of the Marvel movies sucked and even more so on multiple viewings. The biggest letdown was Endgame! 

People always say Black Panther was amazing, it was decent story-wise but that fancy tech was going a bit too far honestly

2 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Is it just me or has there been way more double posts then before ?!?

Yeah, some issues with posts. 

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

After seeing how most franchises ruin their finales, Endgame was a great conclusion. It's not easy wrapping up so many plot lines and arcs, Star Wars and GoT both failed at that.

It is extremely hard to maintain so many characters over a decade. I just didn't find Endgame good as conclusion. Got bored half way. It wasn't bad as SW, I'll give you that. 

18 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

People always say Black Panther was amazing, it was decent story-wise but that fancy tech was going a bit too far honestly

Couldn't even finish it. 72uBLgI.gif 

5 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I don't think the LoTR books(or movies) are the best in fantasy anymore, but Tolkien formed the basis of all high-fantasy literature so I don't deny their importance at any rate. 

No, Tolkien is still the master. LOTR is still absolutely amazing, and the way it's written - it will evoke tons of emotions in you. But if you really want to see Tolkien's true mastery, you have to read the other works of Middle Earth by Tolkien, namely The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (Individual Stories in those have their own books as well). These are the works on the First Age of Middle Earth (Lord of the Rings takes place in the Third Age) Silmarillion starts with the Ainulindale and "Of the Valar" which provides context, but after this, every story is master-piece after master-piece. No other modern authors have yet to even compare to what Tolkien achieved. The Tales of the First Age like "The Children of Hurin", "Beren and Luthien", "Fall of Gondolin" etc. will make other writers like Sanderson, Rothfuss (Always felt he was over-rated), Martin etc. look like children.

You really should read those, if you are a fan of fantasy. To me, other than the epics and Arthurian Legends etc. these are the actual pinnacle of modern day fantasy.

18 minutes ago, roun90 said:

No, Tolkien is still the master. LOTR is still absolutely amazing, and the way it's written - it will evoke tons of emotions in you. But if you really want to see Tolkien's true mastery, you have to read the other works of Middle Earth by Tolkien, namely The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales (Individual Stories in those have their own books as well). These are the works on the First Age of Middle Earth (Lord of the Rings takes place in the Third Age) Silmarillion starts with the Ainulindale and "Of the Valar" which provides context, but after this, every story is master-piece after master-piece. No other modern authors have yet to even compare to what Tolkien achieved. The Tales of the First Age like "The Children of Hurin", "Beren and Luthien", "Fall of Gondolin" etc. will make other writers like Sanderson, Rothfuss (Always felt he was over-rated), Martin etc. look like children.

You really should read those, if you are a fan of fantasy. To me, other than the epics and Arthurian Legends etc. these are the actual pinnacle of modern day fantasy.

Hmmm yeah I've heard of both. And no offense, as per most Youtubers I watch, modern authors are better (Tolkien is still the gangsta) but I like what Sanderson and Rothfuss do, I dont think he's overrated personally. Tolkien is cool, but its just my opinion that there is better stuff out there. Plenty of books on my TBR, if I do get time I will check out the Silmarillion. 

For me, what Sanderson is doing with The Stormlight Archives is the tippity top of fantasy. NO offense honestly, there is a just a slight difference in opinion. I love the LoTR movies as a kid, still feel amazing when I watch them now. 

23 minutes ago, roun90 said:

If I do get time, I need to read the Wheel of Time. A lot of people I know say its their favourite (people who've read Tolkien and Sanderson and Malazan and whatever).

May be wrong, may be right but either case I have to read 15 books to find out and thats scaring me haha

Sorry mods, I know this discussion is meant for the book thread. 

34 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Hmmm yeah I've heard of both. And no offense, as per most Youtubers I watch, modern authors are better (Tolkien is still the gangsta) but I like what Sanderson and Rothfuss do, I dont think he's overrated personally. Tolkien is cool, but its just my opinion that there is better stuff out there. Plenty of books on my TBR, if I do get time I will check out the Silmarillion. 

For me, what Sanderson is doing with The Stormlight Archives is the tippity top of fantasy. NO offense honestly, there is a just a slight difference in opinion. I love the LoTR movies as a kid, still feel amazing when I watch them now. 

Love Sanderson, I liked The Stormlight Archives and Elantris, did not read Mistborn yet. Loved Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time in the beginning, but the middle books were a complete bore and slog. Thankfully Sanderson ended the series on a high note. Rothfuss, I feel is over-rated because his main character (Kvothe) is essentially a perfect character, almost a wish-fulfillment by the author. Not to mention, Patrick is almost worse than GRRM at finishing books by this point. Ursula K Le Guin is another great author, if you read her books. As is Raymond E Feist's early Magician books and Terry Brooks Shannara series (TV Show was horrible though). Used to love Terry Goodkind, but then, in the book that completed his series (Confessor), he started sounding like a Promoter of Capitalism, and made his own political views, especially some weird take on Communism as the source of all evils, which was defeated by some weird combination of his own political beliefs and Deus Ex-Machina. This turned me off from his books. David and Leigh Eddings' books (Belgariad Series, Mallorion series, Elenium Series and Tamuli Series) is also amazing. Narnia ofc is a book for kids which I loved when I was young.

But still none of those had the same impact on me as Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales did. That's most of my experience with the fantasy genre throughout my life. Please note that this is just my personal opinion.

EditOh yeah saw your 2nd post later (was on previous page when I made this post). Read some of Malazan. And frankly, Malazan confused the heck out of me. Could not make heads or tails out of it later on. A highly confusing series. And as I said, Wheel of Time starts out strong, but the middle books (From fifth book I think), it gets really boring. Some characters exist just to annoy the heck out of you and the story just keeps dragging on. It only gets interesting again from the 11th book when Sanderson takes over.

Edited by roun90