Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

1 minute ago, roun90 said:

Love Sanderson, I liked The Stormlight Archives and Elantris, did not read Mistborn yet. Loved Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time in the beginning, but the middle books were a complete bore and slog. Thankfully Sanderson ended the series on a high note. Rothfuss, I feel is over-rated because his main character (Kvothe) is essentially a perfect character, almost a wish-fulfillment by the author. Not to mention, Patrick is almost worse than GRRM at finishing books by this point. Ursula K Le Guin is another great author, if you read her books. As is Raymond E Feist's early Magician books and Terry Brooks Shannara series (TV Show was horrible though). Used to love Terry Goodkind, but then, in the book that completed his series (Confessor), he started sounding like a Promoter of Capitalism, and made his own political views, especially some weird take on Communism as the source of all evils, which was defeated by some weird combination of his own political beliefs and Deus Ex-Machina. This turned me off from his books. David and Leigh Eddings' books (Belgariad Series, Mallorion series, Elenium Series and Tamuli Series) is also amazing. Narnia ofc is a book for kids which I loved when I was young.

But still none of those had the same impact on me as Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales did. That's most of my experience with the fantasy genre throughout my life. Please note that this is just my personal opinion.

Ooh lets take this to the book thread. But Im a huge Sanderson fan, you really need to read Mistborn (atleast Era 1, its incredible) and Warbreaker. 

I read Mistborn after Stormlight, and I know most people say SA is the best from Sanderson (I agree) but Mistborn put up extremely well in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Ooh lets take this to the book thread. But Im a huge Sanderson fan, you really need to read Mistborn (atleast Era 1, its incredible) and Warbreaker. 

I read Mistborn after Stormlight, and I know most people say SA is the best from Sanderson (I agree) but Mistborn put up extremely well in my opinion. 

Sure, we should not clog up this thread anymore I guess.

To everyone coming here, apologies for the OT. This will be my last post regarding books in this thread

• Thanks 1

Re-watched:

Game Night - liked it more than 1st time. Good pacing. Most of the one-liners landed well. Entertaining throughout. 

Tag - liked it less than 1st time. Somehow got so slow. Some fun moments but yeah, didn't age well. 

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Meh.

A mediocre follow up to the insanely great Fellowship. Felt like it was needlessly padded, and the various identical slow-motion-camera-pan-while-"epic"-music shots did not do it any favours. 

The emotions felt forced, specially with Aragorn and Faramir's storylines. I didn't understand why Aragorn wouldn't go to Gondor after meeting with Gandalf, why they chose to go to Rohan instead, and why should I have cared about the king of Rohan, of his plight, and his dead son. 

Something just wasn't working for this movie. Couldn't understand a word of what the tree was barking (see what I did there), and as much as they tried to, the moments didn't feel epic, like they did with Fellowship. Maybe it was the new-ness of the world for me the first time around?

The whole thing was just.. unremarkable. Gandalf dies? Back without an epic scene. Aragorn dies? No, he lives, unremarkably, in the next scene. 

The Helm's deep battle wasn't that great either. Though I'd cut them some slack here. This was 2000 animation and VFX, not 2020. 

On the plus side: Gollum & Sméagol.

I guess I'd leave it at this: I can watch Fellowship again, right now, even though I have watched it twice in less than two weeks. I wouldn't want to watch TTT again.

Fellowship is charming

Side note: audio on the BD was a little off at times, with voices being muffled and subdued on more than one occasion. Weird. Fellowship was crisp

I will now take a break for a few weeks to get back to this world. We must not be hasty

On 3/25/2020 at 12:15 AM, achilles said:

Meh.

A mediocre follow up to the insanely great Fellowship. Felt like it was needlessly padded, and the various identical slow-motion-camera-pan-while-"epic"-music shots did not do it any favours. 

The emotions felt forced, specially with Aragorn and Faramir's storylines. I didn't understand why Aragorn wouldn't go to Gondor after meeting with Gandalf, why they chose to go to Rohan instead, and why should I have cared about the king of Rohan, of his plight, and his dead son. 

Something just wasn't working for this movie. Couldn't understand a word of what the tree was barking (see what I did there), and as much as they tried to, the moments didn't feel epic, like they did with Fellowship. Maybe it was the new-ness of the world for me the first time around?

The whole thing was just.. unremarkable. Gandalf dies? Back without an epic scene. Aragorn dies? No, he lives, unremarkably, in the next scene. 

The Helm's deep battle wasn't that great either. Though I'd cut them some slack here. This was 2000 animation and VFX, not 2020. 

I guess I'd leave it at this: I can watch Fellowship again, right now, even though I have watched it twice in less than two weeks. I wouldn't want to watch TTT again.

Fellowship is charming

Side note: audio on the BD was a little off at times, with voices being muffled and subdued on more than one occasion. Weird. Fellowship was crisp

I will now take a break for a few weeks to get back to this world. We must not be hasty

Movies don't make this clear I guess. One of the reasons why you need the books. Spoilers below -

Spoiler

First of all, Aragon was following Merry and Pippin. Going to Gondor was not in the cards yet. They just wanted to rescue them from the Orcs, and were chasing after them. This pursuit only stopped after them met up with Eomer and Gandalf, who each confirmed that the Orcs were eliminated and that Merry and Pippin were safe with Treebeard respectively. Second, the way to Gondor was through Rohan. Gondor was in the South of Rohan. Also, both were major allies, and it was known that Gondor would have a war. If Rohan was to fall, there would be enemies surrounding Gondor on all sides. Also, the pass which South is called the Gap of Rohan. It passes quite close to Isengard (Saruman's Domain) and Rohan. You cannot bypass such a major enemy and leave a major ally to fall if you are going to win a war.

7 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Movies don't make this clear I guess. One of the reasons why you need the books. Spoilers below -

Hide contents

First of all, Aragon was following Merry and Pippin. Going to Gondor was not in the cards yet. They just wanted to rescue them from the Orcs, and were chasing after them. This pursuit only stopped after them met up with Eomer and Gandalf, who each confirmed that the Orcs were eliminated and that Merry and Pippin were safe with Treebeard respectively. Second, the way to Gondor was through Rohan. Gondor was in the South of Rohan. Also, both were major allies, and it was known that Gondor would have a war. If Rohan was to fall, there would be enemies surrounding Gondor on all sides. Also, the pass which South is called the Gap of Rohan. It passes quite close to Isengard (Saruman's Domain) and Rohan. You cannot bypass such a major enemy and leave a major ally to fall if you are going to win a war.

This was clarified in the movies though, except I think the first line you mentioned.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:15 AM, achilles said:

Meh.

Fellowship is charming

Told ya Two Towers is the weakest one. I actually don't remember anything from that movie except goofy looking trees straight out of Fraggle Rock. 

• Like 1