Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

Gentleman was good. I was surprised with little to no talks about this movie nor any hype at all. 

___

Bad Boys for Life - was okay. Some fun stupid moments but at least watchable to an extent. Some scenes you just have to turn off your brain. And they did say "Bad Boys 4 Life" in the movie...multiple times.

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - glad I didn't pay for this mess. Had 0 expectations and still disappointed. Total failure for a trilogy. Hopefully they will take a long break and get their shite together. Driver was only good thing about it. 

Spenser Confidential - Netflix needs to learn quality > quantity. Utter garbage movie.

Jumanji: The Next Level - couldn't even finish. Don't know what went wrong but boy it was annoying and not funny at all. The movie just loses after 30 minutes and never catches up. First movie was so much better.

Guns Akimbo - stupid fun as you would expect from the trailer. The pacing was good enough to see what happens when writer/director is high while shooting the movie. 

Can't believe...SONIC has been the best movie in last 4 months for me. 

19 hours ago, roun90 said:

Movies don't make this clear I guess. One of the reasons why you need the books. Spoilers below -

Hide contents

First of all, Aragon was following Merry and Pippin. Going to Gondor was not in the cards yet. They just wanted to rescue them from the Orcs, and were chasing after them. This pursuit only stopped after them met up with Eomer and Gandalf, who each confirmed that the Orcs were eliminated and that Merry and Pippin were safe with Treebeard respectively. Second, the way to Gondor was through Rohan. Gondor was in the South of Rohan. Also, both were major allies, and it was known that Gondor would have a war. If Rohan was to fall, there would be enemies surrounding Gondor on all sides. Also, the pass which South is called the Gap of Rohan. It passes quite close to Isengard (Saruman's Domain) and Rohan. You cannot bypass such a major enemy and leave a major ally to fall if you are going to win a war.

Spoiler

Yeah, they went after the two hobbits, at the end of fellowship. But, after they'd met Gandalf and received information on the hobbits, they decided to move on to Rohan. 

The second part I didn't get from the movies. They do show a map, but I guess I didn't follow it well enough. They certainly weren't allies till that point. The king refused to ask for support. 

I made that point because if I was Aragorn, the true king(?) of Gondor, tactically I'd immediately think of going to Gondor specially after Boromir's death. They needed to save Merry & Pippin, and one that quest was over midway, I would've gone to Gondor, amassed their support, gotten a goddamn army, and then moved on to Rohan to convince the king to join. 

They didn't know that Isengard was moving in  on to Rohan right then. Plus that whole pardoning Wormtongue reminded me of the banishing of Raghav Chetan in Padmavat. I knew that would come back to bite them in the a*s. 

Anyway, the movie had too much hero worship, and too much emphasis on emotional trickle. Ugh. 

17 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Told ya Two Towers is the weakest one. I actually don't remember anything from that movie except goofy looking trees straight out of Fraggle Rock. 

It's worse. It felt unnecessary. 

16 hours ago, dante77 said:

Just saw The Gentlemen and Whoa! I didn't even know such a movie exist until I saw it. Its as good as classic Guy Ritchie movies, if you like Guy Ritchie movies you're gonna love it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_2

1_OXNkRmXAYyoWQBS1Y4nVOw.jpeg

Its no Snatch but at least its not bad. Feels like forever since we've had a decent Guy Ritchie movie. I'd watch it just for Hugh Grant, dude is just incredible.

Caught up on some flicks in my backlog:

Three Extremes - 3 stories, Chinese, Korean and Japanese each, surprisingly the Chinese one was better than the Japanese one.

Infection - Japanese, from the reviews seemed like you either live it or hate it. I'm the latter.

Doctor Sleep - Loved it, surprised that its box office performance was abysmal.

3 hours ago, achilles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, they went after the two hobbits, at the end of fellowship. But, after they'd met Gandalf and received information on the hobbits, they decided to move on to Rohan. 

The second part I didn't get from the movies. They do show a map, but I guess I didn't follow it well enough. They certainly weren't allies till that point. The king refused to ask for support. 

I made that point because if I was Aragorn, the true king(?) of Gondor, tactically I'd immediately think of going to Gondor specially after Boromir's death. They needed to save Merry & Pippin, and one that quest was over midway, I would've gone to Gondor, amassed their support, gotten a goddamn army, and then moved on to Rohan to convince the king to join. 

They didn't know that Isengard was moving in  on to Rohan right then. Plus that whole pardoning Wormtongue reminded me of the banishing of Raghav Chetan in Padmavat. I knew that would come back to bite them in the a*s. 

Spoiler

They knew Rohan was in danger. Eomer was one of the princes of Rohan - and he was exiled. A major red flag right there. They also knew Wormtongue was poisoning Theoden's mind, from Eomer's account. And Saruman's treachery was already known - Gandalf reported it at the Council of Elrond. If Saruman turned traitor, the first place he would attack was Rohan. There was nowhere else he could attack. They were literally next door neighbors.

Also, this is from Return of the King extended edition (Scene not available in theater edition, so it will not clarify this for you). So read this only if you are watching the theaterical/standard edition movie and not the extended edition -

Spoiler

The Ents would not have succeeded if Rohan fell. When the Ents attacked, Isengard was virtually empty. But Saruman was safe in his tower. That could not be broken. If Rohan fell, Saruman's army would have returned, finished off the Ents and joined in the War. All this happened much before War of Pellanor fields, so instead of the Rohirrim, you would have seen more Orcs march up to aid the Witch King in ROTK

Regarding Wormtongue (Again, only read if you are not watching the extended version; this is not shown in the theaterical version) -

Spoiler

Ultimately, Wormtongue was the one who finished off Saruman. Despair at Rohan and false promises made him turn to Saruman, but in the end he was the one who killed him. 

Regarding drumming up support -

Spoiler

What do you think Aragon was doing? There was no need to drum up support within the city of Gondor. They were being attacked continuously and would have fought anyway. What was needed was foreign support and to ensure they get to get to Gondor on time to be of some help, before the situation became hopeless.

There are some major deviations in the movies from the books, but ultimately, nothing is unnecessary. If possible, watch the extended editions of the 3 movies, and then you will know what was unnecessary and what was not.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 2