Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

1 hour ago, Aftrunner said:

Whiplash is so good. Maybe not watch it with family though. Indian parents are probably gonna watch that and be like "That JK Simmons is a pretty good teacher. Wish teachers at my kids school were like that." :/ 

One of my favourite movies ever, but I have a different view on the sociopath. Terrence Fletcher as a teacher has a place in society. Students like Andrew (Miles) who want to be the best in the world, they can't do so without teachers like Fletcher. 

Or, put another way, you can't have world beaters without people like Fletcher pushing the living daylight out of your soul.

9 hours ago, achilles said:

One of my favourite movies ever, but I have a different view on the sociopath. Terrence Fletcher as a teacher has a place in society. Students like Andrew (Miles) who want to be the best in the world, they can't do so without teachers like Fletcher. 

Or, put another way, you can't have world beaters without people like Fletcher pushing the living daylight out of your soul.

That's fine but I don't want to be decapitated by a flying cymbal if I miss a beat :P

11 hours ago, achilles said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I do know the premise essentially. 

Idk it sounds really good. 

12 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

Whiplash is so good. Maybe not watch it with family though. Indian parents are probably gonna watch that and be like "That JK Simmons is a pretty good teacher. Wish teachers at my kids school were like that." :/ 

Hahaha not a worry, my school teachers are pretty friendly 

This is just the kind of movie we'd like tbh

Spiderman to Whiplash, probably the weirdest transition ever in terms of character. 

Any other serious movie recs? Again, no to nudity and torture. 

I was thinking The Social Network, its one of my favourites but I'm not sure if my parents will like it. 

From recent:

• Sonic
  • Aladdin
  • Ford v Ferrari
  • Murder Mystery
  • Playing with Fire 
  • Zombieland: Double Tap 
  • Always Be My Maybe
  • Shazam
  • Dora and the Lost City of Gold 

All can be watched with family. Dora is very kid friendly and can be meh if you don't know Dora.

45 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

From recent:

• Sonic
  • Aladdin
  • Ford v Ferrari
  • Murder Mystery
  • Playing with Fire 
  • Zombieland: Double Tap 
  • Always Be My Maybe
  • Shazam
  • Dora and the Lost City of Gold 

All can be watched with family. Dora is very kid friendly and can be meh if you don't know Dora.

Ooh Playing with Fire is the one where John Cena plays the firefighter right? This'll be good. 

I really like his sense humour and how he can pull off funny lines and jokes with a straight face.

I did watch Ford v Ferrari in the theatres, but I don't think its on any streaming service yet or we'd watch that as I liked it quite a bit.

Anyway plenty of movies to watch haha, thanks guys :) 

Angrezi medium was pretty good. Light hearted throughout with a pinch of emotional drama. Loved it.

Irfan khan. What an actor :majesty:

Just saw IT Chapter 2. Brilliant stuff. Liked it more than first one. Gradually everyone is introduced which is done amazingly by connecting the younger ones. Pennywise utilized pretty well. Scares, delusions and chills were good fun too. Amazing. 

Edited by hope

6 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

That's fine but I don't want to be decapitated by a flying cymbal if I miss a beat :P

Hey he got on tempo, didn't he? :P 

4 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Any other serious movie recs? Again, no to nudity and torture. 

I was thinking The Social Network, its one of my favourites but I'm not sure if my parents will like it. 

Social Network is really good, but Sorkin movies have a lot of dialog. Can put some people off. 

My recommendations: 

My Cousin Vinny

Gully boy

Padmaavat

The Godfather

The Prestige

Snatch

Maqbool

Rocky I, II, III, IV

The Martian

Baby Driver

Dedh Ishqiya

43 minutes ago, achilles said:

Social Network is really good, but Sorkin movies have a lot of dialog. Can put some people off. 

My recommendations: 

My Cousin Vinny

Gully boy

Padmaavat

The Godfather

The Prestige

Snatch

Maqbool

Rocky I, II, III, IV

The Martian

Baby Driver

Dedh Ishqiya

Oh I agree. Sorkin movies have a lot of dialogue, but thats honestly the highlight for me. I've only seen 3 of his movies, but the dialogue is spicy.

I've actually seen quite a few of those, but thank you for the recs. There are a good few movies in there I'll watch :) 

45 minutes ago, achilles said:

My recommendations: 

My Cousin Vinny

Gully boy

Padmaavat

The Godfather

The Prestige

Snatch

Maqbool

Rocky I, II, III, IV

The Martian

Baby Driver

Dedh Ishqiya

For me, the dialogue is the highlight for Sorkin movies. Always spicy and on point.

I'll def watch the ones I haven't seen yet.

Also, My Cousin Vinny was the first English movie I ever watched, my dad watched it when he was in college and really liked it haha

4 hours ago, achilles said:

Dude. The Raid: Redemption is some straight up bile level sh*t. It hits you in the f**king gut. 
What a goddamn work of art. 

First time?

I'm probably exaggerating, but Raid single handily pulled Hollywood out of ghetto shaky cam quick cut action scenes and reminded them how it should be done. You can clearly see the difference between movies before and after 2011, including the Marvel movies. Russo brothers have openly said that they took inspiration from it for Winter Soldier and future Avengers movies.

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

I'm probably exaggerating, but Raid single handily pulled Hollywood out of ghetto shaky cam quick cut action scenes and reminded them how it should be done. You can clearly see the difference between movies before and after 2011, including the Marvel movies. Russo brothers have openly said that they took inspiration from it for Winter Soldier and future Avengers movies.

Iko Uwais is a genuine badass. He should be the next Jackie Chan imo.

Its sad people like him and Tony Jaa dont recieve the international recognition they deserve. Though Jaa is relatively popular now.

Edited by playstationdude