Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

So, saw this kannada movie on amazon prime video - kavaludari (translation : crossroads).  It's a murder mystery - more of a classic whodunit.  The pacing could've been better and the movie takes time to build up and introduce all the characters.  Its shot in a classic noir style and the plot is quite complex, which makes it interesting to watch.  Good one time watch if one's in a mood for a clever whodunit  (since its on prime, you can get subtitles if you don't understand kannada).

• Like 1

Saw 'Da 5 Bloods' on netflix.  Seems more like a movie made for oscars.  Unless you've read up on history of blacks in US or the 'nam var, it's really hard to get into.  Might resonate well with the US audience considering their recent race related issues !

On 7/5/2020 at 7:16 AM, dylanjosh said:

I find animated movies more emotionally engaging than anything live action. I just saw Coco couple of months ago. It made me more emotionally invested than any live action did. Same with Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Tangled etc etc. idk how they manage but they do, 

I think it's because animated movies are mostly aimed at children? :fear: Obviously such movies rely more on emotion-driven storytelling than the subtler, thought or implication driven live-action movies (apart from the ones that are also aimed at children). :fear: Not trying to belittle, but... you get my point... I think?

1 hour ago, Ne0 said:

Saw 'Da 5 Bloods' on netflix.  Seems more like a movie made for oscars.  Unless you've read up on history of blacks in US or the 'nam var, it's really hard to get into.  Might resonate well with the US audience considering their recent race related issues !

Its not that great, one of the Spike Lee misfires. I doubt it'll even get Oscar nod.

16 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think it's because animated movies are mostly aimed at children? :fear: Obviously such movies rely more on emotion-driven storytelling than the subtler, thought or implication driven live-action movies (apart from the ones that are also aimed at children). :fear: Not trying to belittle, but... you get my point... I think?

It's mainly because in animation you have 100% control over everything, not possible in live action, atleast not unless you have gorillions of dollars, and certain things can't be done even with gorillions of dollars,

vid related

3 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Its not that great, one of the Spike Lee misfires. I doubt it'll even get Oscar nod.

you never know, considering the political climate there, I wont be surprised if it did get nominated.  Agree that its an average movie though, but then so was crash, which went onto win the best picture award :-/

15 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

you never know, considering the political climate there, I wont be surprised if it did get nominated.  Agree that its an average movie though, but then so was crash, which went onto win the best picture award :-/

I just remembered that Black Panther got 6 nominations and 3 Oscars, so yeah I take it back lol.

Wtf did black panther get an award for lol. What a mediocre movie it was.
That's very racially insensitive of you. It won the Oscars for representing a race predominantly while we continue to ignore other races like Asain in Hollywood. /s

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

On 7/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, Ne0 said:

So, saw this kannada movie on amazon prime video - kavaludari (translation : crossroads).  It's a murder mystery - more of a classic whodunit.  The pacing could've been better and the movie takes time to build up and introduce all the characters.  Its shot in a classic noir style and the plot is quite complex, which makes it interesting to watch.  Good one time watch if one's in a mood for a clever whodunit  (since its on prime, you can get subtitles if you don't understand kannada).

I found the movie is a drag. Its really slow.
However the director's previous movie "Godhi Banna Sadharana Mykattu " is really good. 

Watch Bell Bottom n Gultoo if you haven't already :)

6 hours ago, silentassassin said:

I found the movie is a drag. Its really slow.
However the director's previous movie "Godhi Banna Sadharana Mykattu " is really good. 

Watch Bell Bottom n Gultoo if you haven't already :)

Yeah, it's definitely slow paced. I watched in multiple sittings after pausing in between and coming back.  Will check out the other two, thanks.  Are they on prime video/Netflix ?

The Old Guard.

Charlize Theron is amazing, pretty much from the beginning to the end. Loved her almost as much I loved her as furiosa.

The music choice for fight sequences felt odd and out of place :P

5 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

The Old Guard.

Charlize Theron is amazing, pretty much from the beginning to the end. Loved her almost as much I loved her as furiosa.

The music choice for fight sequences felt odd and out of place :P

What a cliché fest. I didn't like anyone's acting at all. Too predictable. Film is cringe worthy.  

I kept comparing charlize theron to Lucy from Lego 2. That brooding scene from lego 2 would be a spoof of this film had it released at a later date 

16 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Yeah, it's definitely slow paced. I watched in multiple sittings after pausing in between and coming back.  Will check out the other two, thanks.  Are they on prime video/Netflix ?

I just searched. Both movies are on Voot. 

I Watched em in theatres :)
Voot gives 1 month free subscription i guess