Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

1 minute ago, adity said:

Watched Southpaw today. Decent fun movie. Its like a discount version of Rocky but Jake Gyllenhaal knocked it out of the park and it was a fun watch. 7/10.

Yep, it kinda gets overshadowed by some other similar movies, also it literally showed the whole plot in it's trailers. However, Jake Gyllenhaal gave a master performance as Billy Hope. 7.5/10 for me. 

Blu-ray India update: the factory producing/stamping the discs in India has been shuttered and existing stock has been recalled. No more Indian blu-rays. So unless imports open up those of us who want some are SOL. 

Though I'd honestly prefer a Tidal-like AV service with a purchase & download option. iTunes does offer 4K purchases and the video might be satisfactory but the audio is nowhere close to BR quality.

3 hours ago, achilles said:

Blu-ray India update: the factory producing/stamping the discs in India has been shuttered and existing stock has been recalled. No more Indian blu-rays. So unless imports open up those of us who want some are SOL. 

Though I'd honestly prefer a Tidal-like AV service with a purchase & download option. iTunes does offer 4K purchases and the video might be satisfactory but the audio is nowhere close to BR quality.

Was there just 1 factory stamping all blurays, for all the different distributors ? 

Though that explains the insane cost of blurays on Amazon now. Importers will be happy. 

7 hours ago, achilles said:

If you want online option check for Moviesanywhere.com any purchases allows purchases across all connected accounts ma app, iTunes, vudu, fandango, Google play, prime video, Microsoft TV it's really worth while it has atmos track where applicable 

Screenshot-2020-12-29-21-08-53-93.jpg
json parser validator

Edited by DinJo

11 hours ago, achilles said:

I think most English FHD/UHD blus (from Excel) were imported anyway, so this probably won't impact us too much.

18 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Was there just 1 factory stamping all blurays, for all the different distributors ? 

Apparently. 

14 hours ago, DinJo said:

If you want online option check for Moviesanywhere.com any purchases allows purchases across all connected accounts ma app, iTunes, vudu, fandango, Google play, prime video, Microsoft TV it's really worth while it has atmos track where applicable 

Thanks. It's not about the atmosphere track, it's about the bitrate and transfer quality. Blu rays offer audio upto 18Mb/s with a DTS HD master audio track, streaming is usually in the low kilobits, and dolby. All services emphasise video quality only (rightfully so for now). 

10 hours ago, Keyofx said:

I think most English FHD/UHD blus (from Excel) were imported anyway, so this probably won't impact us too much.

Nope. Every single Indian blu ray is localised for content, subtitles, and language options. In rare cases there are weird crops and other inconsequential changes. 

22 hours ago, achilles said:

Yeah I'm grabbing a 6-bay NAS, done with having to jump through hoops just to get legit DVDs. If movie studios don't want legit business, fk them. Also saves money with PS5 digital edition because the only reason I wanted disk version was for UHDs.

4 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Yeah I'm grabbing a 6-bay NAS, done with having to jump through hoops just to get legit DVDs. If movie studios don't want legit business, fk them. Also saves money with PS5 digital edition because the only reason I wanted disk version was for UHDs.

Which one ? I'm thinking of going for one, but the initial investment is huge. NAS + NAS drives. 

V for Vendetta

What a scrappy, fantastic little thing. The setting is catchy, the message is universal, and the vibe is just so right. I was going to watch Chicago 7 but just went browsing for some reason, and chose this, which was kind of lucky because it's the last day the movie is available on Netflix! I didn't know this till after I finished the movie and the small subscript below the title told me so. 

The movie has some great lines and Hugo Weaving absolutely nails their delivery, like only he could. The music, the few songs that V plays in his jukebox are gems, and together with his reclaimed art and other things set the mood so, so right. The choice for London, as I understand that it was in the comics too, was truly inspired, and the colours used in the logos, the dominoes and the chancellor's briefing room were absolutely apt. 

The movie feels more relevant today, in this year, and with this state, and is an engaging and enjoyable viewing. Portman as Evey, the character that imbibes fear and kowtows to the state is most of us, and her transformation as Fawkes was pulled off brilliantly.  

The idea, that an idea, once it catches on, cannot be killed, an idea whose time has come cannot be stopped. Similar to what Bruce mentions in Batman Begins, this is the greatest tool used by people who change the world. 

..Mr Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof. 

Remember, remember the 5th of November. 

9/10

21 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

I thought of the same but my usage is quite limited in time to warrant such a set-up. In a good month I'd watch 1 movie a week. Anyway I preferred importing BRs or buying used but only imported. Plus the sense of occasion watching a BR brings is lost with downloads :P 

16 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Which one ? I'm thinking of going for one, but the initial investment is huge. NAS + NAS drives. 

Yeah, about 30-50k depending but its super convenient if your usage justifies it.

Edit: honestly though I wouldn't bother with anything but streaming if I didn't have this audio set-up that demands and deserves a high quality source. The convenience is too valuable. 

Edited by achilles

13 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Qnap 653D mainly because its small and portable despite being 6-bay and has its own 4K HDMI output for direct play. Adding two 14TB drives at first and then will go from there.

32 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Qnap 653D mainly because its small and portable despite being 6-bay and has its own 4K HDMI output for direct play. Adding two 14TB drives at first and then will go from there.

Where are you getting it from ? At what price ? And which drives are you adding to it ?

2 hours ago, achilles said:

Nope. Every single Indian blu ray is localised for content, subtitles, and language options. In rare cases there are weird crops and other inconsequential changes. 

Are you referring to specific distributors or publishers? I have a sizable library and I know this is not true, at least for Excel, and for the movies I buy.

Including subtitles (and sometimes audio) isn't as much an issue from a size perspective these days, so I think it makes more economic sense to press off a single master at a central factory.

Which is why most blus have a long list of languages and subtitles included as is. As an example, my Kong: Skull Island disc (sold by Excel) is an Austrian import but also includes Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu audio along with other languages. My Logan disc is (from Excel again) is a German import, but also contains Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu dubs.

The issues you mention are specific to some of the smaller publishers (Reliance, PVR, etc.) who have minor catalogues and master locally. You should never be buying from them in the first place.

V for Vendetta

What a scrappy, fantastic little thing. The setting is catchy, the message is universal, and the vibe is just so right. I was going to watch Chicago 7 but just went browsing for some reason, and chose this, which was kind of lucky because it's the last day the movie is available on Netflix! I didn't know this till after I finished the movie and the small subscript below the title told me so. 
The movie has some great lines and Hugo Weaving absolutely nails their delivery, like only he could. The music, the few songs that V plays in his jukebox are gems, and together with his reclaimed art and other things set the mood so, so right. The choice for London, as I understand that it was in the comics too, was truly inspired, and the colours used in the logos, the dominoes and the chancellor's briefing room were absolutely apt. 
The movie feels more relevant today, in this year, and with this state, and is an engaging and enjoyable viewing. Portman as Evey, the character that imbibes fear and kowtows to the state is most of us, and her transformation as Fawkes was pulled off brilliantly.  

The idea, that an idea, once it catches on, cannot be killed, an idea whose time has come cannot be stopped. Similar to what Bruce mentions in Batman Begins, this is the greatest tool used by people who change the world. 

..Mr Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof. 

Remember, remember the 5th of November. 

9/10
One of my Favourites.. I do it's re-watch from time to time.. dialogues are extremely relevant in today's age and atmosphere..

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk