Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

16 minutes ago, adity said:

It's subjective but honestly I've rewatched IW and Ragnarok and there is nothing particularly special about those. Black Panther was very mediocre imo and Aquaman is a messy hodgepodge. 

Which is to say, I wouldn't place them any higher than the "enjoyable but forgettable" category. 

As you said, personal choice. 

I think the first 15 minutes of IW set the tone better than the entirety of JL. Thor is rendered useless, Loki couldn't do sh*t, and you do sorta care since these characters have been fleshed out as Gods, with lots of backstory and lore to accompany the plot. 

Ragnarok took Thor to a different level. No more emo drama, just him having fun as a God. 

BP, though mediocre, has pretty awesome music, and that elevated a pretty by numbers story to another level. Again, the fight at the starting (when BP fights the kidnappers) just sets the right expectations. Car chase is a pretty sweet sequence. The different classes, even with less screen time, are neatly fleshed out. 

Aquaman is just lifted out of comics. No DC movie comes closer. The jump cuts are jarring, but MANY, MANY sequences are just SO EPIC. The heft of the trident (you "feel" it in the final fight with Orm), the moment when Arthur turns into Aquaman, the trench scenes, the rolling fight on the rooftops with both Arthur and Mera - so many great moments. 

JL doesn't do any of it. The previous villains were a joke - Steppenwolf, which finally had decent development, was beaten black and blue by Superman. The 1st WW was half decent, but again, the antagonist was sh*t and you do not connect with that struggle. Cyborg finally had his moment of glory. Flash....eh. Don't care for him. 

MCU developed the connect over more than a decade. It's just impossible to develop that level of connect with DCEU with their jarring take on key movies. They introduced MM at the end, why not the GL ? The GL lore can define not one, but multiple movies. Heck, I find him to be a better character than Superman. The possibilities with OA and Guardians are endless. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Also sucks knowing the last 30min are teaser to something that's not going to happen anymore :(

This. So. Much. By the end of the movie, I was pumped for the sequel.

Also, #ReleaseTheSnyderVerse is now a thing on social media. So...

-----

Saw it last night and really liked it. Loved how all the characters have decent importance given to them.

The epilogue was cool, too.

I've not seen any of the Marvel movies so can't compare to those, but as a package, this movie really does well. Everything explained so well and it feels like a proper "Heroes United movie". Supes is too OP in this, but that was expected.

Saw it with the wife and she liked it too (she's not much of a superhero-movie fan). I liked the choice of soundtracks, too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

As you said, personal choice. 

I think the first 15 minutes of IW set the tone better than the entirety of JL. Thor is rendered useless, Loki couldn't do sh*t, and you do sorta care since these characters have been fleshed out as Gods, with lots of backstory and lore to accompany the plot. 

Ragnarok took Thor to a different level. No more emo drama, just him having fun as a God. 

BP, though mediocre, has pretty awesome music, and that elevated a pretty by numbers story to another level. Again, the fight at the starting (when BP fights the kidnappers) just sets the right expectations. Car chase is a pretty sweet sequence. The different classes, even with less screen time, are neatly fleshed out. 

Aquaman is just lifted out of comics. No DC movie comes closer. The jump cuts are jarring, but MANY, MANY sequences are just SO EPIC. The heft of the trident (you "feel" it in the final fight with Orm), the moment when Arthur turns into Aquaman, the trench scenes, the rolling fight on the rooftops with both Arthur and Mera - so many great moments. 

JL doesn't do any of it. The previous villains were a joke - Steppenwolf, which finally had decent development, was beaten black and blue by Superman. The 1st WW was half decent, but again, the antagonist was sh*t and you do not connect with that struggle. Cyborg finally had his moment of glory. Flash....eh. Don't care for him. 

MCU developed the connect over more than a decade. It's just impossible to develop that level of connect with DCEU with their jarring take on key movies. They introduced MM at the end, why not the GL ? The GL lore can define not one, but multiple movies. Heck, I find him to be a better character than Superman. The possibilities with OA and Guardians are endless. 

IW is on a whole other level altogether. The start and introduction of Thanos was ballsy. He really feels like a character unlike "hurr durr I'm bad" villains in DCEU movies. I wasn't even a big fan of superhero movies at the time, but appreciated how they could juggle so much without feeling rushed. It was like reading a comicbook, where one event leads to the other naturally. 

Ragnarok was a complete Taika Waititi movie. Loved it for that.

15 minutes ago, adity said:

All I'm saying is, none of the MCU movies do anything for me. Like yes, I have a very fun time watching some of those (Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok, IW, Ant Man, to name a few) but I've never been woved like say I was with Grand Budapest Hotel, Raging Bull, Hot Fuzz, Mad Max Fury Road, Fight Club, etc. etc. 

Uhh.. Super wrong comparison. Compare superhero movies with superhero movies. This is an Apples to Orange comparison. :mellow:

6 minutes ago, cyberpunk said:

IW is on a whole other level altogether. The start and introduction of Thanos was ballsy. He really feels like a character unlike "hurr durr I'm bad" villains in DCEU movies. I wasn't even a big fan of superhero movies at the time, but appreciated how they could juggle so much without feeling rushed. It was like reading a comicbook, where one event leads to the other naturally. 

Ragnarok was a complete Taika Waititi movie. Loved it for that.

My thoughts exactly. Thanos set up the stage in the 1st 5 mins, while Mother boxes needed a 10 min exposition, and dialogues with Steppenwolf and another 10 mins of fight to even show a sense of urgency.

IW is on a different level. The beginning, the lore, the colors, use of space etc. It's a true comic book movie (I feel the same way for Aquaman even with the jarring cuts. Gimme a trench movie,  dammit). 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

Seriously guys Black Panther isn't even close to this. Respect opinions and all but God damn the last cgi fest battle in Black Panther just left a bad taste.

Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame and Thor Ragnarok are the only movies that I revisit time to time. Rest all are not that worth visiting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Nah its not happening unless they want two parallel timelines running at same time. Practically everyone in that scene has moved on and been replaced by new faces and stories.

Agreed, but never underestimate the power of the internet. This movie, which I thought was really good aside from some cheesy music, might just rile everyone up again :D

28 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Uhh.. Super wrong comparison. Compare superhero movies with superhero movies. This is an Apples to Orange comparison. :mellow:

I'd normally say a movie is a movie, and we need to be holding these IPs to higher standards. I bet Nolan was trying to hit Heat levels of quality as opposed to trying to match other superhero movies at the time.

Buuut I kinda also see your point in this specific case. This isn't exactly high art, so maybe the Marvel movies are a better comparison :\

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Also sucks knowing the last 30min are teaser to something that's not going to happen anymore :(

Are You Sure GIF by Monty Python

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Black Panther was such an overhyped and overachiever of a movie because "first black superhero in a Marvel movie", while everyone forgot about Blade.

sword blade GIF by BBQ Films

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

They introduced MM at the end, why not the GL ? The GL lore can define not one, but multiple movies. Heck, I find him to be a better character than Superman. The possibilities with OA and Guardians are endless. 

we're getting a GL TV show

52 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Seriously guys Black Panther isn't even close to this. Respect opinions and all but God damn the last cgi fest battle in Black Panther just left a bad taste.

Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame and Thor Ragnarok are the only movies that I revisit time to time. Rest all are not that worth visiting.

True. Its not even funny how overrated BP is