Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

The Green Knight has a surreal tone. Expected from someone who made A Ghost Story. The cinematography and score is top notch. Dev Patel is at his best here. The story is slow paced and i feel there are various themes that needs multiple viewing to understand. This one is definitely not for everyone. Dark Fantasy done right. 

It felt like all of it was a dream or is there some parallel reality involved in this adaptation?

• Like 2

The Green Knight is such an amazing piece of filmmaking!

The movie feels like an old folk-tale come to life. It's very ambiguous and yet it made me feel things....things that I couldn't even understand :lol:

That whole masterful montage towards the end comes to mind. Not a single piece of dialogue is said in that whole thing and yet it's so f**king powerful, due in large part to Dev Patel's mesmerizing performance. 

Had to look up a few articles online to get context for some of the things that happen in the movie. Though I have a better overall idea now, the articles are still quite vague and have left me with more questions to ponder. And I'm someone who's fine with that. So yeah, this is probably not for people who seek definitive answers from their movies. But if you're someone who digs stuff like Lowery's own A Ghost Story or even The Lighthouse, this would be right up your alley.

Also, special mention to the sublime cinematography! The film looks breathtakingly gorgeous and is complemented by a haunting and surreal soundtrack to boot.

I mean just listen to this. 

More fantasy movies like this please!!

Ohh and I like how they didn't even address King Arthur or Merlin or the Excalibur :P

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, R3D_D3ViL said:

The Green Knight has a surreal tone. Expected from someone who made A Ghost Story. The cinematography and score is top notch. Dev Patel is at his best here. The story is slow paced and i feel there are various themes that needs multiple viewing to understand. This one is definitely not for everyone. Dark Fantasy done right. 

It felt like all of it was a dream or is there some parallel reality involved in this adaptation?

On 8/20/2021 at 10:31 PM, STICK3Rboy said:

The Green Knight is such an amazing piece of filmmaking!

The movie feels like an old folk-tale come to life. It's very ambiguous and yet it made me feel things....things that I couldn't even understand :lol:

That whole masterful montage towards the end comes to mind. Not a single piece of dialogue is said in that whole thing and yet it's so f**king powerful, due in large part to Dev Patel's mesmerizing performance. 

Had to look up a few articles online to get context for some of the things that happen in the movie. Though I have a better overall idea now, the articles are still quite vague and have left me with more questions to ponder. And I'm someone who's fine with that. So yeah, this is probably not for people who seek definitive answers from their movies. But if you're someone who digs stuff like Lowery's own A Ghost Story or even The Lighthouse, this would be right up your alley.

Also, special mention to the sublime cinematography! The film looks breathtakingly gorgeous and is complemented by a haunting and surreal soundtrack to boot.

I mean just listen to this.

More fantasy movies like this please!!

Ohh and I like how they didn't even address King Arthur or Merlin or the Excalibur :P

Really interesting film, mostly because it doesn't seem like the poem it's based on has much depth beyond being an elaborate prank played on Gawain. Perhaps Lowery tried to retrofit some deeper meaning into his interpretation of it, but I couldn't tell exactly from just one watch. I'm not sure if this indicates actual thematic depth, or if adding depth to a story that never had it just makes it muddled/not flow as well.

But yea, the start and end sequences were visually stunning :O 

39 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Is it worth watching? Or better to wait for proper trailer? 

wait for proper trailer, should be out soon

On 8/22/2021 at 2:33 AM, Keyofx said:

Really interesting film, mostly because it doesn't seem like the poem it's based on has much depth beyond being an elaborate prank played on Gawain. Perhaps Lowery tried to retrofit some deeper meaning into his interpretation of it, but I couldn't tell exactly from just one watch. I'm not sure if this indicates actual thematic depth, or if adding depth to a story that never had it just makes it muddled/not flow as well.

But yea, the start and end sequences were visually stunning :O 

This reddit thread has some interesting takes on the movie.

I especially like these ones:

Spoiler

d3YeEm7.jpg

Spfv5Zk.jpg

Going through this thread actually made me like the movie even more.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

1 hour ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Saw Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins. This is a snoozefest. Surprising considering it has one of the coolest characters in that universe and is not at all how he is potrayed in the cartoon. Skip It. 

Agreed, arguably the coolest character from GI Joe's.

Shame really, even the trailer looked pretty good. For some reason, I feel Shang Chi will share its fate with this.