Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

6 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

So Malignant is "out". 

75% on RT, but pretty much everyone seems to agree that it's outrageously insane and over the top. Reading some of these review summaries has got me quite excited.

• James Wan swings for the fences and it pays off big time. Malignant is a bonkers and bloody delight that showcases a multitude of different skills and styles Wan's honed through his horror films over the years.
  • [The film is saved by] a frantic, blood-spattered climax of outrageous action and violence, propelled by a jaw-dropping revelation so ridiculously audacious it must be seen to be believed.
  • Maybe the outrageousness will turn off viewers looking for a more conventional fright flick. Anyone with a taste for the bold, however, will find plenty to admire and enjoy.
  • Malignant is rarely scary, but its outlandish bits likely didn't happen by accident - not when it culminates in scenes so ludicrously over the top that they invite both fist-pumping cheers and wheeze-inducing laughter.
  • I can see it being divisive in some ways, but I'd much rather praise this original horror film for combing a high level of gonzo energy with Wan's flair for inventive imagery.
  • Though the rote storytelling drags down the build-up, Malignant has a twist that I predict will be talked about for years to come in the same breath as Psycho, Sleepaway Camp, The Mist or even Wan's own Saw.
  • Camp horror at its finest, a leaky cauldron of influences that mix into a wild third act as gory as it is unpredictable.
  • None of this is especially scary, but, if you're patient, Wan delivers the kind of hilariously sick climax that only a sadist would spoil. Or envisage.

Just finished this.

Right from the outset it's clear that it's going to be campy as f**k with some really bad acting and dialogue, weird tonal shifts, and awkward music choices. At times I wondered what even the point of some of it was because while it was a little amusing, it wasn't really as hilarious as I was expecting it to be. But then it all built up to a third act so awesome that it somehow ended up making me love the whole thing!

It's a mish-mash of genres that not everyone will like, but I would say it's still definitely worth a watch just to witness some of the stupidly wild sh*t in there.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

20 hours ago, him2anshu said:

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II confirmed he's playing Morpheus in The Matrix Resurrections. The plot thickens...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTm3V-LgW7V/

I bet Priyanka Chopra plays the Oracle (new)

Yahya - Morpheus (new)

Jessica Henwick - Trinity (new)

Keanu - Neo (old)

Carrie - Trinity (old)

So, the new Mortal Kombat movie is up on Amazon prime and I watched it today. MK is one of my earliest introductions to gaming, my cousin had a Sega mega drive and one of the first games I played on it was MK 2. I also love the first Mortal Kombat movie from the 90’s in a “it’s so bad that it’s good” way. Spoilers below on the plot

- This was my favourite version of Kano, the guy stole every scene he was in and was also the only one in the whole movie that had a personality. I also thought Sonya was decent.

-Liu Kang and Cole were about as bland as a paper towel. This movie desperately needed a Johnny Cage, I’m glad they set him up for the second part at the end.

- Acting was wooden, pacing was a bit off at the end but there was blood, gore and most of the fights were well done.

Final verdict- worth a watch if you are a fan of the games. Wish there was a proper storyline since we’ve seen the whole Shang Tsung starts sh*t before the tournament stuff played out far too much.

Edited by Kenzooru

On 9/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, Kenzooru said:

So, the new Mortal Kombat movie is up on Amazon prime and I watched it today. MK is one of my earliest introductions to gaming, my cousin had a Sega mega drive and one of the first games I played on it was MK 2. I also love the first Mortal Kombat movie from the 90’s in a “it’s so bad that it’s good” way. Spoilers below on the plot

- This was my favourite version of Kano, the guy stole every scene he was in and was also the only one in the whole movie that had a personality. I also thought Sonya was decent.

-Liu Kang and Cole were about as bland as a paper towel. This movie desperately needed a Johnny Cage, I’m glad they set him up for the second part at the end.

- Acting was wooden, pacing was a bit off at the end but there was blood, gore and most of the fights were well done.

Final verdict- worth a watch if you are a fan of the games. Wish there was a proper storyline since we’ve seen the whole Shang Tsung starts sh*t before the tournament stuff played out far too much.

The kombat was good & it ought to with so much more expanded film making 

Nostalgia moves & fatalities were good too 

But apart from that it was the crapiest piece of sh*t they could have put together 

Scorpian’s Revenge Animated movie was 10 times better story wise 

The original MK movie still stands closest to the actual depiction of the First Game 

It’s sad that the only second depiction was Annhilation & nothing after that 

27 minutes ago, DinJo said:

Malignant anyone watched? 

Watched it just last night.

Overall, thought it was good, the last act was freaking crazy(in a good way).

No nudity, lots of gore, really good twists and some odd score choices imo.

Edited by gecko89

Awesome seeing all the positive Malignant reviews! It's purposely campy which mostly people who go in expecting the usual Wan Insidious/Conjuring formula wouldn't expect. The trailer and marketing really misrepresents the movie, and I feel like the user scrores on IMDb, Metacritic and RT will drop from all the people who don't get it.

Candyman is excellent as well. Yahya Abdul Mateen II is great as usual, which is a good sign for that other little movie out in December :D

Edited by Keyofx

2 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Awesome seeing all the positive Malignant reviews! It's purposely campy which mostly people who go in expecting the usual Wan Insidious/Conjuring formula wouldn't expect. The trailer and marketing really misrepresents the movie, and I feel like the user scrores on IMDb, Metacritic and RT will drop from all the people who don't get it.

Yeah, that intro had me thinkin the same, 'is that bad acting, or is it meant to be this way'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Yeah, that intro had me thinkin the same, 'is that bad acting, or is it meant to be this way'.

Lol yea, that intro was a massive tell :D But then, the traditional horror-esque first act threw me off again. Acts 2 and 3 were total stylistic/tonal shifts too, so it kinda always kept you guessing. Real neat stuff.

Chris Stuckmann nailed it with his review:

• Like 2