Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

3 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

That wasn't a good copy afaik, people complaining of lag and sync issues. But yeah the HMAX version has been out for 2-3 days. 

Oh ok. I stopped watching after 15-20 minutes. Quite boring :yawn:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Is The French Dispatch streaming anyehere? Would really like to watch it legitimately in good quality. 

Nope. Maybe after 2 months on Disney+ since Searchlight is owned by Disney. 

On 10/23/2021 at 4:13 PM, Big Boss said:

It's already out since last week.

Wasn't really planning on watching it at home.

But I still checked that copy out and it looked like a 480p upscaled print or something. Watching the movie on that would be doing it a disservice.

--------

Anyway, watched it yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it.

I went in fully knowing that the movie doesn't really have a third act. But I was still kinda disappointed about that. The whole thing is pretty much just an intro and it barely even has a second act.

And for a movie which spends its whole 2.5hr runtime introducing us to its characters, it fails in making you care about any of them. There were characters dying left, right, and center and I barely even gave a sh*t (apart from maybe for one). Speaking of characters dying, even the fight scenes were pretty lame and lacked any kind of impact.

There's some really good world-building though and some very interesting concepts, which again don't get explored enough. So ultimately it feels like going to a restaurant, having an appetizer, and then heading back home (hoping that some day you'll be lucky enough to gorge on the whole main course).

And that's quite unfortunate because I f**king loved whatever I got to see of this world. The meat of the movie is undoubtedly in its audiovisual experience. The cinematography revels in showing off the awe-inspiring scale and it's topped off with a magnificent soundscape, which IMO is the absolute highlight. I watched it in Dolby Atmos and the roaring and thundering sound effects knocked my socks off! And of course, Zimmer's soundtrack is just *chef's kiss*

The movie is f**king transportive when seen on the big screen and I really do hope we get some sequels to this thing because I would absolutely love to see more.

TLDR - Even with all its glaring flaws, the movie definitely deserves to be seen in theaters. 

53 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Wasn't really planning on watching it at home.

But I still checked that copy out and it looked like a 480p upscaled print or something. Watching the movie on that would be doing it a disservice.

4k Dolby Vision is out