Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

I haven't read the books, had no idea what the fuss was all about.

Didn't understand the universe and story tbh, I mean I get the overall idea of the story but didn't completely understand the reasoning behind some of the actions. 

I didn't find it boring though. Actually, I loved it from start to finish. Why? Only 1 reason! it was such a pleasure to watch! despite not knowing the characters and what is going on. Almost every single scene kept me hooked and I really fancy the world and abilities of certain characters. I usually find like these outworld people/creatures with unique abilities and creative tech. The production values were top-notch. They did not compromise anything in budget segment that's for sure. 

Although, there are lots of questions, the biggest one that I don't understand is

Spoiler

Everyone was working for the emperor, so why did emperor send one House (Harkonnen) away from Arrakis and send another house Atreides just to kill them all? were they really a threat to emperor? Also, it seems Atreides knew about this and they were still cool with it. I mean, the Emperor sounds like the most powerful person, why couldn't he just execute House Atreides right away? Even with their full power, they didn't seem like much of a threat in front of other houses combines. 

Edited by dante77
  • Like 1

Also would like to say its nice seeing a science fiction movie draw such heavy influences from Islamic/Arabic culture. A lot of sci-fi tends to feel samey because they draw from euro-american stuff. 

@dante

Spoiler

From what I understood, the Emperor was jealous/scared of House Atreus growing influence and power. So he wanted to take them out. But he couldn't do that directly since that might unite all the other houses against him so he had to make it look like it was some kind of internal conflict between House Atreus and the other Sith-looking House. 

Oscar Issac knew that some sh*t might go down but he wanted to go there and ally with the Fremen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rushaboswal said:

They bad? 

Yes, they are comparing it to Thor Dark World, so you know

3 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

There is focus on love in this one. No wonder people are pissed off.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ha and also the length.... 

Watched Resolution and The Endless. Both great movies. Really enjoyed. After watching the Endless you will need to watch a video on YouTube that explains the movie coz you will surely miss on some important things. Watch Resolution first as it sort of directly connects to the Endless. 58319cff9f9b9df79e22ec78f61ab63e.jpgd7b80ad0d65732d3a6db3bb528607e0d.jpg

On 11/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, dante77 said:

Although, there are lots of questions, the biggest one that I don't understand is

Hide contents

Everyone was working for the emperor, so why did emperor send one House (Harkonnen) away from Arrakis and send another house Atreides just to kill them all? were they really a threat to emperor? Also, it seems Atreides knew about this and they were still cool with it. I mean, the Emperor sounds like the most powerful person, why couldn't he just execute House Atreides right away? Even with their full power, they didn't seem like much of a threat in front of other houses combines. 

I will try and answer this question, since I have read the books. I recommend doing that or you can read this for better understanding.

Spoiler

House Harkonnen originally controlled Arrakis, and hence the production and export of Spice. They were getting extremely powerful. On the other hand, House Atreides is a house of great lineage. Evident in the graveyard scene with Paul and his dad. The Emperor envies Duke Leto, and even admires him, but felt like he was a power too big to ignore.

Meanwhile, Rabban, the Baron's nephew had terrorised the Fremen of Arrakis quite a bit. So he orders Atreides to take charge of Arrakis, and hence the spice. Then House Harkonnen wants to take them out, but it's gonna take a lot of money and a lot of manpower. Baron uses up most of the money he made while they were in charge of Arrakis, and for extra manpower, the Emperor supplies his Sardaukar (in Harkonnen uniforms). The Sardaukar are elite soldiers essentially. 1 of them is good to take on 5-6 regular soldiers at once.

All the great houses fear the Emperor sending his legion of Sardaukar against them. The only way they have a chance is if all the great houses unite. Paul even mentions that in the movie, that he could try to make a play for the throne itself. The Emperor's daughter, Princess Irulan cannot take the throne and he does not have a male heir.

Simple divide and conquer, even though the houses are under him. Depleted the Baron's reserves, chopped off the head of House Atreides, all while sitting pretty on the throne.

This is a short version, tried to explain it as simply as possible. The politics in Dune is just.... insanely complicated and yet beautiful to read/see. Throughout the entire series of course, and will hopefully be illustrated in the movies to come. I think people enjoy more action and beautiful cinematography at the movies, and more political manoeuvrings from the couch in their living room, and a choice was made. 

This is a 6-book series, and we have got like 0.5 in the movie. There is definitely a lot left to understand, of course.

• Like 3