Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

52 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Hmmm, i don't mind the lack of masala, but if it's too much of documentary styled narration - i e., presenting one fact after another, I'm not too keen on watching it as movie.  Anyway I'm not going to theaters, will watch when it comes on ott.  

No documentary style narration at all. It's a proper straight up acting which shows the 1983 WC (All India Matches), funny moments between team members, condition of the country at the time etc.

There is no David Attenborough or Neil DeGrasse type overall narration on top. It's proper acting.

Anyway I expect it will come to OTT soon enough. All Hindi movies this year have done so.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, roun90 said:

No documentary style narration at all. It's a proper straight up acting which shows the 1983 WC (All India Matches), funny moments between team members, condition of the country at the time etc.

There is no David Attenborough or Neil DeGrasse type overall narration on top. It's proper acting.

Anyway I expect it will come to OTT soon enough. All Hindi movies this year have done so.

Hmmm interesting.  Some of the reviews i read say that the movie focuses too much on cricket and less on drama, which gives the vibe of a docu-series.  Take dangal for ex, were the focus is more on the characters then the sport itself which makes it an engaging watch. Anyway, let me check once it releases on ott.  

Edited by Ne0

On 1/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, roun90 said:

Hmmm interesting.  Some of the reviews i read say that the movie focuses too much on cricket and less on drama, which gives the vibe of a docu-series.  Take dangal for ex, were the focus is more on the characters then the support itself. Anyway, let me check once it releases on ott.  

Don't look Up, another one where the critics are wrong, wonder if it has something to do with the film taking shots at both Dems and Reps.

Film was hilarious from the beginning to the end, loved it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Sad that this aspect ratio isn't part of the blu-ray release.

Also, which all “real” Imax movie have you seen?  

the best imax experience I’ve had was in Prasads imax, Hyderabad where the screen is gargantuan 72 feet x 95 feet. I watched Bahubali 2 and it had a super massive image. 

the last “real” real imax movie in India I believe was Interstellar at Prasad’s where they brought the 70mm physical film reel print for showing. I missed catching a show there because I didn’t know what imax was at that time. It is my biggest regret till date movie-wise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0verlord said:

the best imax experience I’ve had was in Prasads imax, Hyderabad where the screen is gargantuan 72 feet x 95 feet. I watched Bahubali 2 and it had a super massive image. 

the last “real” real imax movie in India I believe was Interstellar at Prasad’s where they brought the 70mm physical film reel print for showing. I missed catching a show there because I didn’t know what imax was at that time. It is my biggest regret till date movie-wise

The original IMAX Adlabs in India - which is sadly dead. The IMAX Dome in Wadala, which was one of the only 5-10 IMAXs in entire Asia at the time. It offered almost 360° movie views and was breath-taking. It was something like this -

imax-adlabs-500x500.jpg

(The above was the actual Wadala Theater)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGGGTVwLoTLBg8F-2aSVu

omnitheater-opt-5.jpeg

(The movie is not from Wadala Theater, but the experience was similar).

It showed mainly documentaries and movies actually custom made for IMAX. Last commercial movie I saw there was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Sadly, Anil Ambani came and Reliance took over. They boarded up the Dome and converted it into a normal IMAX (Not even a great one at that). 

Now it's like this -

maxresdefault.jpg

Then Carnival took over after Anil Ambani went bankrupt -

maxresdefault.jpg

Problem is, it's now a flat screen. The original dome was the height of an almost 5 Floor Building. eating was such that you used to lay almost on your back and watch a 360° movie with original IMAX clarity. You look down, you were almost afraid you will fall.

Now it's meh. I miss that original IMAX Dome experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

miss that original IMAX Dome experience

Totally get it. 

The Lucknow Planetarium still has dome IMAX btw. They rotate old documentaries every fortnight or monthly (not sure). I make it a point to visit it many times as possible whenever I'm in the town. Awesome experience. 

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

The original IMAX Adlabs in India - which is sadly dead. The IMAX Dome in Wadala, which was one of the only 5-10 IMAXs in entire Asia at the time. It offered almost 360° movie views and was breath-taking. It was something like this -

imax-adlabs-500x500.jpg

(The above was the actual Wadala Theater)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGGGTVwLoTLBg8F-2aSVu

omnitheater-opt-5.jpeg

(The movie is not from Wadala Theater, but the experience was similar).

It showed mainly documentaries and movies actually custom made for IMAX. Last commercial movie I saw there was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Sadly, Anil Ambani came and Reliance took over. They boarded up the Dome and converted it into a normal IMAX (Not even a great one at that). 

Now it's like this -

maxresdefault.jpg

Then Carnival took over after Anil Ambani went bankrupt -

maxresdefault.jpg

Problem is, it's now a flat screen. The original dome was the height of an almost 5 Floor Building. eating was such that you used to lay almost on your back and watch a 360° movie with original IMAX clarity. You look down, you were almost afraid you will fall.

Now it's meh. I miss that original IMAX Dome experience.

I used to live 10 min drive from there and remember watching one of the documentaries which was in "real" IMAX dome format, not this modern shitty IMAX that just stretches the curtain up and down and keeps it flat or slightly curved. It was like being in VR except in a giant theatre where your entire visual FoV was covered in all directions. Last I heard they installed a flat screen IMAX curtain there like every other theatre so the dome is almost never used. I'm glad I managed to experience the dome thingy, really thought this was going to revolutionize theatre experience back then.

6 hours ago, 0verlord said:

I watched Interstellar, MI4, and Star Trek: Into Darkness at Prasads IMAX. All amazing experiences.

But my personal favourite, even though it isn't "real" IMAX, is Pacific Rim. Its aspect ratio made it cover 90-95% of the IMAX large screen throughout the entirety of the movie and it was f**king mind-blowing!

• Like 1

IMAX dome was my go to place during college years. Watched so many movies both imax and standard over there during those days. Sadly most of the stuff was Nat Geo/discovery styled films and the real movies screened on it didn't do the format any justice.

The Adlabs guys were such visionaries with both this and Imagica, sadly both are down in the dumps right now.