Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

6 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Super interesting.

Unfortunately, the physical book hasn't even been released in India. 

Way to go HarperCollins. Cry me a river for piracy. 

This is why kindle is goat'd. Can literally start reading instantly on release.

Same sh*t as digital games vs having to wait for the physical disc to come in I guess. 

3 minutes ago, North said:

This is why kindle is goat'd. Can literally start reading instantly on release.

Same sh*t as digital games vs having to wait for the physical disc to come in I guess. 

If I've to f**k my eyes and read digital, I'm just gonna pirate. 

Give me a physical book, and I'll pay double. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

If I've to f**k my eyes and read digital, I'm just gonna pirate. 

Give me a physical book, and I'll pay double. 

jeez get a kindle. the e-ink displays are fantastic.

plus the Oasis and the new Paperwhite have warm light settings. 

I honestly just buy physical books to keep em on the shelf. I pirate the same thing onto my kindle, so I have the convenience of reading on my kindle as opposed to a physical book.

5 hours ago, North said:

I honestly just buy physical books to keep em on the shelf. I pirate the same thing onto my kindle, so I have the convenience of reading on my kindle as opposed to a physical book.

I intend on getting a kindle once they launch with the coloured e ink . They will be great for graphic novels and comics.

11 hours ago, North said:

I hate Kindle. Have tried the base one and a paperwhite, and I just hate the experience, specially the way e-ink refreshes. Something about that breaks the immersion. 

9 hours ago, playstationdude said:

I intend on getting a kindle once they launch with the coloured e ink . They will be great for graphic novels and comics.

Yeah thats perfectly understandable. iPads are pretty good for those. 

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I hate Kindle. Have tried the base one and a paperwhite, and I just hate the experience, specially the way e-ink refreshes. Something about that breaks the immersion. 

There's a new Paperwhite now. I personally have the Oasis. They're WAY faster, and have higher ppi screens. 

It might take a bit to adjust, but there's no equivalent to walking around with basically my whole library in my jeans pocket. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Idk if you've used colour e-ink displays but the colour in those is very primitive and not even close to modern displays. It can display like 4,000 colours at some very low resolution. 

I havent used any yet, but the normal kindle is black and white which is again pointless for comics and graphic novels:unsure:

But yeah, if its low res with bad colours it might not be worth picking up over the actual book.

1 hour ago, North said:

might take a bit to adjust, but there's no equivalent to walking around with basically my whole library in my jeans pocket. 

Depends on your use case. I don't read more than 1 book at a time, so carrying one is perfectly serviceable for me. 

Plus nothing, absolutely nothing surpasses the smell and handfeel of a book. Not in a million years. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Plus nothing, absolutely nothing surpasses the smell and handfeel of a book. Not in a million years. 

Built in dictionary 
Instant purchase and read

No need for external light source

Notes, highlights, bookmarks, synced across devices

Share excerpts

Use the phone app and continue as you were if you’ve forgotten your device

Pocket-able, zero bulk carry along

These, and more. I tried going back to physical. Left it within one night. :P 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Cash said:

French Dispatch, House of Gucci or Kings man? What to watch next guys?

All three are watchable - I would start with KingsMan, has action and pacing is good. Then, French Dispatch - a dark comedy and then House of Gucci -  full drama with good performances from all the actors.

1 hour ago, achilles said:

Built in dictionary 
Instant purchase and read

No need for external light source

Notes, highlights, bookmarks, synced across devices

Share excerpts

Use the phone app and continue as you were if you’ve forgotten your device

Pocket-able, zero bulk carry along

These, and more. I tried going back to physical. Left it within one night. :P 

Zero use for any of these, except maybe a dictionary. You can google a word anyway. 

Physical books evoke a sense of nostalgia, forces me to concentrate on one story at a time without distractions, has an intoxicating smell (heh !), let's me scribble info on the sides (prefer writing over typing) etc. 

I just cannot read on a screen. Heck, I've started reading way less comics on the iPad since I still prefer physical comics. Just looking at a page/panel, artstyle is so much fun. 

Digital is great if I want to skim through content. It's not.... no idea how to describe this... peaceful. Doesn't feel like I'm learning anything. Reading a physical copy is joyful. It's like an activity you take out time for. 

I'm old school. Heh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Zero use for any of these, except maybe a dictionary. You can google a word anyway. 

Physical books evoke a sense of nostalgia, forces me to concentrate on one story at a time without distractions, has an intoxicating smell (heh !), let's me scribble info on the sides (prefer writing over typing) etc. 

I just cannot read on a screen. Heck, I've started reading way less comics on the iPad since I still prefer physical comics. Just looking at a page/panel, artstyle is so much fun. 

Digital is great if I want to skim through content. It's not.... no idea how to describe this... peaceful. Doesn't feel like I'm learning anything. Reading a physical copy is joyful. It's like an activity you take out time for. 

I'm old school. Heh. 

Totally agree, nothing beats physical books.  I have tried reading many books and even comics on iPad, phone, android tablet, it is nowhere near as satisfying as physical books. All those digital features are fads and in real life hardly used 5-10% of the times; I’m a lazy person but not lazy enough.

Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City. 

Good one time watch for a lazy afternoon, especially if you're a fan of the game. 

+Some CG scenes are pretty good. 

+Source material respected as much as possible. 

+Some of the iconic places are exactly like they were in the game.

+Robbie Amell as Chris Redfield

-Some CG looks straight out of the game or worse like straight to home video type. 

-Leon Kennedy, hopefully he gets ts proper development if there's a sequel.

-Pacing felt odd, ending felt a bit abrupt imo. 

If a sequel is greenlit, hope it gets a bigger budget, has good potential I think with a tighter script.

18 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City. 

Good one time watch for a lazy afternoon, especially if you're a fan of the game. 

+Some CG scenes are pretty good. 

+Source material respected as much as possible. 

+Some of the iconic places are exactly like they were in the game.

+Robbie Amell as Chris Redfield

-Some CG looks straight out of the game or worse like straight to home video type. 

-Leon Kennedy, hopefully he gets ts proper development if there's a sequel.

-Pacing felt odd, ending felt a bit abrupt imo. 

If a sequel is greenlit, hope it gets a bigger budget, has good potential I think with a tighter script.

Yeah movie was fine, but Leon's character was f**ked.

23 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I'm old school. Heh. 

Why stop there, use an actual dictionary esé. The sense of nostalgia. Okay okay, I kid I kid. :P 

This is where the limitations of the kindle actually work in its favour. I can read in peace, without distractions. It’s silent. It’s purposeful. It could be a lot better in many ways, but it works as a book reading device quite well. 

I get that. But the kindle doesn’t feel like a screen.
I on the other had genuinely enjoy reading comics on the iPad. Physical is just added irritations for me, the biggest being needing an external light source and carrying the books. There is the missing touch and feel aspect though. But the content itself shines through. 

Reading a physical copy is joyful. It's like an activity you take out time for.

Good way to put it. Yeah. I get that.

Different strokes.  :cheers: