Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

16 minutes ago, harsh1387 said:

Such Polarising reviews. 

Looks like i will skip IMAX and watch it nearby PVR or at home when available.

Go on a weekday. Cheaper tickets, less pain, less people. I’m planning to do the same. :fear1:

Seeing all the mixed reviews for The Batman has killed the hype for me, I was expecting it to be something revolutionary. It'll be out on digital in 45 days, will wait and watch it at home.

Edited by him2anshu

OK watched it today morning. 7/10

Before I say anything let me just say I hate that the title is just "The Batman" because googling for anything related to this movie is annoying as f**k. 

Spoiler

- I really liked the tone and general vibe of the movie. They returned to more damper, darker, bit more gothic environments after the more modern looks from Nolan and Snyder. I loved the OST as well. Easily the best part of the movie.

Reeves really likes having some scenic screenshot-worthy shots but sometimes the way he gets there is so awkward. So its like he wants this cool shot of Batman falling into the water but all the thugs are beaten up and done already. So he suddenly has this random f**king electrified wire hanging and then he's like "Yeah Batman has to go and cut it and electrify himself there's no other solution at all so he falls into the water and causes this huge splash ITLL LOOK SOO COOL". 

The scene where the Batmobile comes out flying through the explosion also looks really cool but the preceding highway chase is so chaotically shot I couldn't make out what was happening at all. 

Some scenes were 10/10 though. The scene where he beats down thugs who are firing at him is amazing. Shouldn't have spoiled it in the trailer. 

- On the casting I still feel 'off' about Pattison. In that normal suit he reminded me so much of Cedric Diggory. Also feel weird about Andy Serkis as Alfred. Zoe Kravitz looks great though. Paul Dano as Riddler was just ok. Feels like Joker-lite. But the best casting goes to Jeffery Wright as Gordon. He fits perfectly in that role. Special mention to the Penguin dude also. I forgot the actors name.

- I like Batman's personal arc from working in the shadows to being more of a symbol of hope. But I wish there was more resolution to Riddler exposing all the corruption in the city. Only Falcone was taken down, all the corruption that kept that in place still exists. The politician lady won and I think that was supposed to be the resolution? But the way she won was her opponent was killed lol. 

- The movie was too long. It definitely felt way too slow in the middle but it picked up in the end.

- Nolan's TDK is still my favourite. 

Edited by dylanjosh

1 hour ago, 202croc said:

In this movie Bruce Wayne & Batman avatar had no differentiation at all, pattinson portrayed both the characters in the same way.

Spoiler

This is definitely intentional. Batman explicitly tells Alfred he hates being Bruce Wayne and doesn't care about that side of his persona at all. It's only year 2 after all. It's possible he only see's value in Bruce Wayne later. Only by the end of the movie he realises he has to work from the light too and can't do everything from the shadows. 

The Batman

It's like the execs saw the first half and ran with it, without bothering to see how it ends. It starts off so well, and had me genuinely interested in how things unfold. The build-ups, the music, the visuals, and art style are true, and well adapted to live action. The Gotham vibe is spot-on. Some scenes are like visual poetry in comic language. There also wasn't any overdone Snyder slo-mo, or Nolan-esque destruction of vocal frequency. They've also explored the detective side of the character more here. 

However, there's just so much overdone emo-ness, along with overarching  orchestral music, specially in the last 40 minutes. Bruce Wayne/Batman is a tortured character for sure, but this was bonkers. The scenes between Alfred and Bruce were blackboard-screech annoying. Ugh. 

The biggest disappointment for me was Pattison. I expected him to bring a freshness to the role, whereas he's re-entered the Twilight lane here. 

Technically the film is top-notch. The visuals and audio fidelity are properly mixed, and tweaked that extra bit by the IMAX-perience. The blu-ray would be a good showcase for home hi-fi. 

In the end though, it's what the experience leaves you with. With Nolan's movies, I was blown away by the sheer brilliance of concept and execution and the many, many "holy sh*t that's cool" moments. Affleck's rage shone through in that scene where he saves the Other Martha. With this, I am left with the thought that perhaps this millennial Batman is too soft, too affected. He's not even a good combatant or strategist. 

It just isn't a very well made movie. 

Spoiler

Best characters: Falcone, Oz

Best scene: Batman & Gordon double teaming on the Penguin

Best sequence: The wing-suit jump

Best line: thumb-drive :rofl:

Best feel: Rain in Gotham

6/10

• Like 1

This is the only Batman who is completely non stealthy. His boots make lot of noise and it is shown as his signature entrance sound. It's so ridiculously stupid. It's like the director didn't even know the character well.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

This is the only Batman who is completely non stealthy. His boots make lot of noise and it is shown as his signature entrance sound. It's so ridiculously stupid. It's like the director didn't even know the character well.

Why do you want me to cancel my ticket ? :catfight:

I guess the smart-a*s idiot who like to poke his nose everywhere, disappeared after seeing the overwhelming majoring of people here being disappointed by Batman. Sometimes having the back of mod isn't enough to have improve intellect. 

P.S: hamesha ki Tarah is udte teer ko bhi le Lena ?

Just saw The Batman - I really liked the first half of the movie. No BS! And I was about to think this is one of the rare movies to have no BS at all. Just started with story and it only followed that. 

But then the second half! I don't know, I didn't like it. The whole climax was a letdown for me. 

But still a good Batman movie. Pattinson is ok. Nothing great. I like Bale and Affleck better. 

First few minutes and OST sick though! 

57 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Why do you want me to cancel my ticket ? :catfight:

I think you will like it. It's like a comic book coming to life. Just that it pretends to be a clever movie but is actually stupid. And Batman is a non stealthy noob who gets shot more than all Batman movies combined. Cinematography, acting, ost are damn good. Loads of comic books Easter eggs and name drops.

• Like 1

Just got out of the theatre and back home

Really really liked it. 8-8.5 outta 10. 

This movie is for the hard core fans. Loved that they didnt need to rehash his origin story, training etc etc.

This movie pulls a lot from some of the great Batman runs like Year One, The long halloween, no man’s land, court of owls.

Hes still not perfect, not the dark knight or the world’s greatest detective which he gets called out on.

This Batman is written as someone who clearly suffers from psychological issues  and sees that being batman is the only way to fix things. Hes so focused being batman that he forgets being Bruce Wayne once in a while is a way of doing good in Gotham.

Movie isnt for everyone, but I loved that they tried something different and to me it was really good

P.S why does zoe kravitz need to be such a baddie tho  ?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Snake said:

Just got out of the theatre and back home

Really really liked it. 8-8.5 outta 10. 

This movie is for the hard core fans. Loved that they didnt need to rehash his origin story, training etc etc.

This movie pulls a lot from some of the great Batman runs like Year One, The long halloween, no man’s land, court of owls.

Hes still not perfect, not the dark knight or the world’s greatest detective which he gets called out on.

This Batman is written as someone who clearly suffers from psychological issues  and sees that being batman is the only way to fix things. Hes so focused being batman that he forgets being Bruce Wayne once in a while is a way of doing good in Gotham.

Movie isnt for everyone, but I loved that they tried something different and to me it was really good

P.S why does zoe kravitz need to be such a baddie tho  ?

Same. Liked the movie a lot. Could have been shorter though