Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

The Shining: an excellent horror movie that is equal parts beautiful, crazy, funny, riveting, and dread-inducing. A gorgeously shot movie with zero fat, I wouldn’t remove a single frame. We were fully engrossed in what was unfolding, and it held our complete attention throughout. I couldn’t give a higher compliment to any thing. 
There’s nothing much to add, except that it’s properly Kubrick-an, a signature that holds good value with people who like movies. 

The sequence of Nicholson’s character watching his family play in the snow is why you’d realise that most of the (great) actors are a bit cuckoo. No sane human could offer that expression, in that way, for that long, and make you feel things down to your tiniest bone.  

9/10

Related: how does it compare to the book? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, achilles said:

The Shining: an excellent horror movie that is equal parts beautiful, crazy, funny, riveting, and dread-inducing. A gorgeously shot movie with zero fat, I wouldn’t remove a single frame. We were fully engrossed in what was unfolding, and it held our complete attention throughout. I couldn’t give a higher compliment to any thing. 
There’s nothing much to add, except that it’s properly Kubrick-an, a signature that holds good value with people who like movies. 

The sequence of Nicholson’s character watching his family play in the snow is why you’d realise that most of the (great) actors are a bit cuckoo. No sane human could offer that expression, in that way, for that long, and make you feel things down to your tiniest bone.  

9/10

The book is extremely chilling and goose bump inducing compared to the movie. From the description of Overlook hotel to all its infamous rooms and corridors, and later half portraying his slow descent into madness. King also hates the movie because it makes big departures (including the ending) from the book. I'd suggest getting an audiobook if you can, its well worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, North said:

Yesss! It was very well done, despite Gal's questionable acting but I really hope we can get a third Poirot movie.

Also, whats this about the movie The Northman? Apparently its released in some countries and not doing well - but I've heard its fantastic.

Want to watch.

Yeah, Gadot definitely stood out in that aspect :D Good thing she looks effortlessly pretty. 

Also, apparently a sequel is already in development. 

6 hours ago, North said:

Also, whats this about the movie The Northman? Apparently its released in some countries and not doing well - but I've heard its fantastic.

Want to watch.

Well, it's an Eggers movie. So it's bound to be pretty niche.

18 minutes ago, achilles said:

9/10

Watch the sequel Doctor Sleep as well. Its climax kinda sucked but I thought it was really good otherwise.

Go for the director's cut, which I read is a little better than the theatrical one.

-----------

Also, pleasantly surprised by the Love & Thunder trailer. Was expecting it to be Ragnarok 2.0 (which I would've been fine with too), but this looks pretty different as far as the tone is concerned. 

Although I'm sure there's a lot of the usual Waititi zaniness in there too.

X is such a fantastic film!

It's a slasher that I'd heard really good things about, but it turned out to be even better than I was expecting with some seriously good direction.

There's some grisly and repulsive sh*t in here, but also stuff that is just plain....sad. It succeeds in making you feel uncomfortable almost the whole time while also masterfully building tension.

I haven't seen many movies this year, but I'm sure this will end up being one of the best. Will recommend it highly and will surely be checking out the director's other stuff as well.

zmAhWRq.jpg

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

X is such a fantastic film!

It's a slasher that I'd heard really good things about, but it turned out to be even better than I was expecting with some seriously good direction.

There's some grisly and repulsive sh*t in here, but also stuff that is just plain....sad. It succeeds in making you feel uncomfortable almost the whole time while also masterfully building tension.

I haven't seen many movies this year, but I'm sure this will end up being one of the best. Will recommend it highly and will surely be checking out the director's other stuff as well.

zmAhWRq.jpg

Did you figure out the actress who played the old woman?

There's a 20-odd minute 'making of' video of The Batman also available on Apple TV.

BTW, quick question (OT): Somehow I'm not getting the option to add credit/debit card information on my Apple ID. The only options I get as Payment Methods are UPI and Netbanking. And through those options, to add funds to the Apple Wallet.

Spoke to Apple support. The chat-advisor wasn't able to fix it and asked me to call.

Has Apple removed the option to add credit/debit cards entirely? If so, I can't seem to find any news about it.

Dr. Strange ticket prices are insane. IMAX 3D in South Delhi going for 900 bucks and normal going for 600, i.e. before any fees.

And still the seats are getting filled.

Ek hi movie se covid loss squeeze kar lenge yeh, this was not even the case with Spiderman.

Better buy PVR stock.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Kubrick bullied that chick so hard, she literally went into lifelong depression after the movie. But goddamn what a performance. 

Bruh she looked terrorised even when things were fine, you could totally see a crazy Bill Burr's father type guy going off on her. They absolutely nailed the casting. 

14 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

The book is extremely chilling and goose bump inducing compared to the movie. From the description of Overlook hotel to all its infamous rooms and corridors, and later half portraying his slow descent into madness. King also hates the movie because it makes big departures (including the ending) from the book. I'd suggest getting an audiobook if you can, its well worth it.

Thanks. Added sample to library. The few times I've tried audiobooks I haven't really liked them and stopped. Let's see if this one keeps me hooked. 

14 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Watch the sequel Doctor Sleep as well. Its climax kinda sucked but I thought it was really good otherwise.

Go for the director's cut, which I read is a little better than the theatrical one.

Will check it out, thanks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Did you figure out the actress who played the old woman?

Spoiler

Not while watching.

I could tell that those oldies were just younger people in makeup, and the woman somehow seemed oddly familiar. So I checked online to see who the actress really was and found out that it was the leading lady, Mia Goth, herself :P

Pretty cool.

I also read that they've already finished filming a prequel with her. Looking forward to that.

Apparently its teaser was shown after the credits in theaters.

Edited by STICK3Rboy