Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

Finally saw Matt Reeves The Batman

Didn't like it at all... thank god I didn't spend my money on the movie tickets... and some of the choices were so awful in representation of the Batman. God!! 

and i agree to what @achilles wrote above 100%

• Like 2

7 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

I actually like that they're making a prequel, but mainly because it's being directed by the same guy.

There's a dearth of good slashers and I really wouldn't mind getting another one. Also, the time period it's set in (1919 apparently) should keep things a little fresh.

This I can agree with. A prequel with the origin story of the old couple can be interesting.

• Like 1

Saw kgf: 2 in theaters finally, first movie in theater after a long break of 2 years. I don't know if the theater's audio had some issue, but the movie was played at full volume, way too loud.   Apart from that, it's quite good, and kept me engaged until the end.  The movie picks right where the first one ended, and goes at breakneck pace.  The style of narration is non linear with events from multiple places/timelines playing out together in parallel to create short bursts of euphoric whistle-worthy scenes. It's a larger than life spectacle movie and doesn't pretend otherwise for a minute.  Overall, it's bigger and more badass compared to the first movie, and Yash really rocks throughout the movie with his amazing screen presence.

Edited by Ne0

53 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Saw kgf: 2 in theaters finally, first movie in theater after a long break of 2 years. I don't know if the theater's audio had some issue, but the movie was played at full volume, way too loud.   Apart from that, it's quite good, and kept me engaged until the end.  The movie picks right where the first one ended, and goes at breakneck pace.  The style of narration is non linear with events from multiple places/timelines playing out together in parallel to create short bursts of euphoric whistle-worthy scenes. It's a larger than life spectacle movie and doesn't pretend otherwise for a minute.  Overall, it's bigger and more badass compared to the first movie, and Yash really rocks throughout the movie with his amazing screen presence.

Thats what we want from our movies.

Hindi films used to be like that only and thats why we love them. 

This reality and grounded sh*t, no one wants to see this BS. Its all because of this emergence of Netflix and OTT which will soon fade away. 

Watching a movie should be fun. We want larger than life stuff not this OTT grounded sh*t. 

RRR is 3 hours and still mega hit. That conviction it had throughout, people are ready to watch them long movies if done well.

Still the biggest hits are the Sooryavanshis and big AAA Marvel flicks not grounded depressing sh*t. 

9 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Bollywood is screwed big time with the emergence of regional dub films. Earlier these were hits only on tv but now even in cinemas. Tbh they bought this upon themselves, half of the films are south film remakes, other half is either biopic on somebody (earlier it was gangsters, now it's some sports guy) or some small town story (mostly set in North starring ayushman) which all look the same.

The Worst offender are the anthology films on OTT, every single one has a similar theme. One story on infidelity, one related to caste/religion, one on sexual awakening/lgbtq, rich poor, villagers are savages etc etc. It's like all their content is targeted towards the upper middle class and then they wonder why sub numbers are not growing in India. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:26 PM, dylanjosh said:

Anyone know a good IMAX theatre in Mumbai?

Right now, the best one I would say is PVR Icon Imax Screen (With Laser) in Phoenix Palladium Mall, Lower Parel. IMAX in Viviana Mall, Thane is also very decent. IMO the OG IMAX (Which used to be the dome) is bad currently (Though I've not been there is a long time, so I don't know if they've improved it.)

Dune

The good is that the movie is moving visual art. It is breath-taking, gorgeous. Bad is that that’s the only good part. 
The fatal flaw for me was that the world and the way of life of the people just did not work. There’s tech advancement in some areas and others they are quite primitive, mostly in the order and way of life: emperors, house of X, etc. 
There was such a big disconnect that I had look up when the book was written, because this universe is completely oblivious to computers and silicon for most things, but not for weapons, and ships, and travel etc. If I had to wager a guess, I’d have pitted the book to be written in the early 1900’s, not 1965. 

In that way, the movie lost me within the first 10 minutes. I just wasn’t interested in anything except the visual creativity, and hoping for some good action and set pieces. Unfortunately, the action was sh*t too. 

Since the story or the characters did not interest me at all, the gaps of Denis Villeneuve as a filmmaker were front, and goddamn centre. Dune is slow, somber, and mind-numbing-ly boring. I WAS TEXTING during most of it. LOL. A worse thing I could not say about a movie. 

PS: Mad Max Fury Road and BR2049 walk that line of desolation in an alternate universe extremely proficiently. So it wasn’t the setting, or the vibe. Dune’s world felt idiotic, and incomplete conceptually. 

Also, this Nolan hangover of unclear dialog and vocals has got to die. 

4/10

• Like 5

On 4/23/2022 at 12:26 PM, dylanjosh said:

Anyone know a good IMAX theatre in Mumbai?

Carnival's IMAX Wadala used to be my go-to because of the huge screen and dome structure. Not sure if they still show movies in IMAX format anymore.

Also, thinking to watch DS2 in Screen X. That 270 degrees feel of Raimi's signature camera moves! :wOOtjumpy:

woo

8 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Also, thinking to watch DS2 in Screen X. That 270 degrees feel of Raimi's signature camera moves! :wOOtjumpy:

Have you seenin Screen X before? Is it any fun? I hate the vertical bars between the screens

On 4/24/2022 at 11:10 AM, hope said:

Thats what we want from our movies.

Hindi films used to be like that only and thats why we love them. 

This reality and grounded sh*t, no one wants to see this BS. Its all because of this emergence of Netflix and OTT which will soon fade away. 

Watching a movie should be fun. We want larger than life stuff not this OTT grounded sh*t. 

RRR is 3 hours and still mega hit. That conviction it had throughout, people are ready to watch them long movies if done well.

Still the biggest hits are the Sooryavanshis and big AAA Marvel flicks not grounded depressing sh*t. 

I feel Bollywood should first stop copying and invest in same good writers/musicians.  Earlier they used to copy Western movies/songs etc and now they're copying Southern language movies/songs etc.  Bollywood's strength was pre-dominantly in music/rom-com/family/drama movies, especially after the angry young man's era of AB.  Just look at top grossing Hindi/Bollywood movies and more than 50% if them would be from these genres.  Instead of playing to their strengths and making good decent original movies , they are simply remaking hit movies just to get in the multi hundred crore club.  Maybe they think it's risk free, but they're losing the audience who would've seen these movies already on ott/dubbed versions on tv or in theaters in the original language.  Also they need to stop relying on the same handful of actors for big budget movies.  Anyway, I'm no movie business expert, but i think Bollywood really need to get it's act together, else it's going to start losing relevance in the coming years.

Edited by Ne0