Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

13 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Drag Me To Hell deserves a mention too...I think quite a few scene setups can come only from someone who directed that one. 

True. But we were talking about a couple of scenes in particular which directly reference a scene from Evil Dead 2.

5 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Top Gun:Maverick metacritic sitting at 81. Holy what the f**k !!! :eyepop:Knew it would be good but this good

Also 96% on RT with an 8.5 avg. rating!

Looks like we have a winner on our hands.

3 hours ago, SpearHea:D said:

Northman today ?

Been out since yesterday.

Watched it last night.

Such a fascinating depiction of Nordic culture and mythology with absolute top-tier cinematography and music. Definitely watch this with the volume turned way up because the soundtrack is a banger and adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Skarsgard pretty much takes the centre stage and has played the role of a rage-fueled viking hell-bent on taking revenge to perfection. Seriously, the guy looks absolutely feral in some scenes!

The only minor gripe I have is that after a very strong first hour, the plot meanders a bit and the pacing suffers. But it's so well shot and directed that I was still transfixed.

I think the film was majorly shot on location in Iceland and it looks f**king breathtaking! Can't imagine what it would've been like watching it on the big screen when even just watching it at home had such a transportive effect on me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Death on the Nile - Boring first half and totally predictable story. Ending was pretty much exactly what I predicted especially the WhoDoneIt part. Plus first half is just plain boring and didn't add much. With the slow first half, I was thinking of catching small details and all but it didn't matter much. 

Overall a poor film. Worse than first which was average at best.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

True. But we were talking about a couple of scenes in particular which directly reference a scene from Evil Dead 2.

Also 96% on RT with an 8.5 avg. rating!

Looks like we have a winner on our hands.

Been out since yesterday.

Watched it last night.

Such a fascinating depiction of Nordic culture and mythology with absolute top-tier cinematography and music. Definitely watch this with the volume turned way up because the soundtrack is a banger and adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Skarsgard pretty much takes the centre stage and has played the role of a rage-fueled viking hell-bent on taking revenge to perfection. Seriously, the guy looks absolutely feral in some scenes!

The only minor gripe I have is that after a very strong first hour, the plot meanders a bit and the pacing suffers. But it's so well shot and directed that I was still transfixed.

I think the film was majorly shot on location in Iceland and it looks f**king breathtaking! Can't imagine what it would've been like watching it on the big screen when even just watching it at home had such a transportive effect on me.

Where did you watch? I'm a big fan of Nordic representations in media - books or TV, the depiction of the Icelandic Sagas, the southward foray of the vikings later down the line, stuff like that. Picked it up in The Last Kingdom and Vikings, and this book called The Shadow of the Gods. 

Plus the cast is good, and I'm really hyped to watch this one. Would've loved it to see it at the movies, but will throw it up on the TV and enjoy it all its 4K glory. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Death on the Nile - Boring first half and totally predictable story. Ending was pretty much exactly what I predicted especially the WhoDoneIt part. Plus first half is just plain boring and didn't add much. With the slow first half, I was thinking of catching small details and all but it didn't matter much. 

Overall a poor film. Worse than first which was average at best.

I've read the book - knew the whole plot - and still enjoyed every minute of it. 

Not saying this is perfect but its a very good adaptation I'd say. I was just super engaged, knowing how it would turn out in the end didn't kill it for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, watching Multiverse of Madness tomorrow evening. Was waiting to be done with semester exams. Do I need to watch Wandavision for this?

My friend says I can just watch the final post credits scene and I'm all set?

Thing is - I'm not sold on WandaVision. If I binge it tomorrow, its pretty much just for context and not out of excitement. 

1 hour ago, North said:

In other news, watching Multiverse of Madness tomorrow evening. Was waiting to be done with semester exams. Do I need to watch Wandavision for this?

My friend says I can just watch the final post credits scene and I'm all set?

Thing is - I'm not sold on WandaVision. If I binge it tomorrow, its pretty much just for context and not out of excitement. 

No need. Just skim through it by reading or watching some videos. It is mostly for Scarlet's motive that you may need to watch Wanda Vision but you can easily skip it. 

Don't skip on reading some info or watch the summary of the series. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

:zodka:

I don't think there is any other option for us.

Yeah sad. Its not done well at the box office overseas, so if there was a legit way - even something as dumb as renting it on Youtube I would do it to support more such endeavours but alas, will sail the high seas once again. 

Anyone watched nightmare alley

So wanted to watch it in theater but couldnt 

Watched Strange 2 last night, id say good standalone drama, very tight script

No padding, no cringe humour also not very complicated amd confusing 

Plot was intereating and pacing was spot on 

Raimi on the bulls eye

Finally watched Doctor Strange 2. Hovering between a 6/10 and 7/10 personally.

Its a Raimi flick alright, I loved certain sequences yet the story on a whole is just really not it. It only works because of its ties with the rest of the MCU. As a standalone this movie would have a lot of issues. As a pure sequel to 2016's original Doctor Strange, it would yet again have issues.

Heavily relies on tie-ins and easter eggs. Don't get me wrong, I love Easter eggs sprinkled in - like the one very early in No Way Home. But fair few set pieces are there just to wow the audience and to make us go 'woohoo' when we see something that wasn't expected - but that basically do not add anything to the plot or the story.

The first movie was definitely better, it def honed in on Strange as a person - and as a superhero later, while this one gives no f**ks about the girl, or any of the other major players and is based on any development previously done in pre-Endgame flicks or WandaVision. I did not really like how the movie ends either, did not feel earned.

Entertaining popcorn flick for sure, but not worth 400 bucks to watch it at the cinemas imo. One would be much better off spending the dollar on Top Gun : Maverick later this month.

Some spoilers now -

Spoiler

Loved Strange re-animating his own corpse, great stuff. Wong said no one has ever made the journey to that mountain, but 5 mins later he says the book was transcribed from the symbols on the walls? Doesn't add up. Wanda just being all crazy and then she sees that her kids are actually afraid of her and she just backs off. Extremely predictable. The girl, America was the worst character. Could not give a f**k about her. Can't control powers but at the end of the movie she is just convinced she can. 

Also the appearances of the 'illuminati' needed to be more epic and grandiose, getting their asses handed to them by Scarlet Witch 3 minutes later just dragged them through the mud. Doesn't make me excited about seeing them again doing 'epic cool things' when they just got 1v4'd. 

15 hours ago, KnackChap said:

It already features Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana; Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan's grandson, Agastya; and Sridevi and Boney's daughter, Khushi in the lead.

team america vomit GIF