Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Yep and all are way above Avatar 2.

Hate Marvel all you want, but no one expected Avengers to be this big when even DC's Justice League couldn't make half of the first Avengers despite having some of the most popular superheros in it. What they have built is nothing short of remarkable. We live in an age where the new Doctor Strange movie will outgross the latest Batman within first few weeks of its release.

Cameron is great, no need to bring down others to propel him up. I wish he made more original movies than more Avatar sequels his entire life, but it is what it is. I'm still waiting for the The Abyss to be on Blu-Ray!

Most (not all) Marvel movies are strictly watchable once. 

Comparing them to the likes of Cameron or Ridley Scott is just shitposting. 

One can watch and be highly entertained by the amazing direction of these two directors. 

Heck, without Cameron, there's no Terminator, Avatar, Aliens, Titanic, Abyss, RFB etc. 

Beyond the ones by Gunn, Marvel movies are highly generic, to the point of being boring if you watch then twice. 

Unfair to compare Cameron's acumen for direction to the money earned by Marvel since both are targeting different audiences. 

The floating mountains of Pandora - that scene is f**king etched in my eyes. The sheer scale of such grandiosity in 2009 was par excellence. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Kumar123 said:

Because Endgame was supposed to be the highest grossing movie of all time but then Chad Cameron rereleased Avatar again and got back the #1 position.

Wait, didn't Marlel cheat by rereleasing Endgame first by adding "deleted" scenes with unfinished CGI just to beat Avatar? :giggle:

I have huge respect for Cameron and I am not sure why there is even a comparison between Marvel and him. 

BUT! Avatar? I watched that movie in 3D in cinema! It is average at best. Can easily be compared to any of the average/low quality Marvel movie. It is only after years I realized Avatar became the highest grossing movie of all time! That was a very.... Strange moment for me lol. I was like WTF?! How come that movie is even that much hyped?! 

Compared to other Cameron works, it's a huge dent in his career. Now they come up with a sequel which looks even shittier. 

But I'll probably catch the sequel, maybe it is me who is missing something. Trailer didn't attract me one bit.

• Like 1

"Triggered" says the guy who can't make a single post without comparing everything to Marvel. :rofl: Looks like it lives rent free in their head.

And no I never called Cameron movies "bad" or "boring" like y'all are implying and getting so defensive about. It's just that his previous movies were all better than the generic Dances with Wolves copy Avatar. Old school action directors like him, Spielberg and George Miller are still way better than current day hacks like Michael Bay and Snyder.

Edited by cyberpunk

6 minutes ago, dante77 said:

I have huge respect for Cameron and I am not sure why there is even a comparison between Marvel and him. 

BUT! Avatar? I watched that movie in 3D in cinema! It is average at best. Can easily be compared to any of the average/low quality Marvel movie. It is only after years I realized Avatar became the highest grossing movie of all time! That was a very.... Strange moment for me lol. I was like WTF?! How come that movie is even that much hyped?! 

Compared to other Cameron works, it's a huge dent in his career. Now they come up with a sequel which looks even shittier. 

But I'll probably catch the sequel, maybe it is me who is missing something. Trailer didn't attract me one bit.

Did you see anything which matched the scale and VFX back in 2009 ? The story was extremely basic, but what it lacked was made up by the environment. They should really have picked someone else to play Jack Sully. 

Cinematography, direction, VFX were unmatched during it's heyday. 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:25 PM, STICK3Rboy said:

Watched this really good Norwegian movie the other night called The Innocents.

It's about a bunch of little kids discovering that they have superpowers. Of course, one of them turns out to be an evil little sh*t who starts using his powers to hurt people. 

Even though the movie involves kids, it actually gets kinda disturbing with depictions of some pretty realistic violence and horror elements without ever going over the top.

It's really well directed too, albeit very leisurely paced which can turn off some people (I personally liked it).

Ohh and the kids' performances are f**king brilliant! The whole time I was watching the movie I was wondering how they got such young kids to act so damn well.

Would definitely recommend checking it out if you don't mind slow-burn movies.

1cFtMcU.jpg

Where can you watch this? Not finding this on the high seas as well. Didn't this release recently?

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Did you see anything which matched the scale and VFX back in 2009 ? The story was extremely basic, but what it lacked was made up by the environment. They should really have picked someone else to play Jack Sully. 

Cinematography, direction, VFX were unmatched during it's heyday. 

I honestly can't say. Don't remember being mind-blowing but it could very well be my theater INOX. 

Now that you say it and vouching it so much. I am thinking of watching it on my TV in its full glory! Not sure if there is 4K version available. I didn't like it so never thought of rewatching. Will probably give your another shot! 

I saw it for the first time only a few years ago and still found it great. It has more sincerity than most of the blockbusters along with a straight-forward anti-colonialist message. I really like the protagonist too. I am speaking only story and execution wise though. I think while the CGI *looks* outdated in some places at night, it’s still good for the most part, especially the environments, and it’s not at all floaty/weightless/jerky like we see in today’s rushed blockbusters, even in action scenes (which are still awesome by the way). Avatar only sticks out sometimes because it takes place on an alien planet. Then again, CGI/Pandora is only a tool/excuse for Cameron to tell his anti-american story at a large scale. Nothing more, and he did his job perfectly. I’ll take as many Avatar sequels as I can as long as Cameron desires to make them.

Edited by Max Pain

4 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Where can you watch this? Not finding this on the high seas as well. Didn't this release recently?

Released just recently in the US, but it seems to have been available on the high seas from quite a few months ago.

Check PM.

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Thanks 1

“Prey,” an all-new action-thriller from 20th Century Studios directed by Dan Trachtenberg (“The Boys,” “10 Cloverfield Lane”) and the newest entry in the “Predator” franchise, will stream August 5, 2022, exclusively on Hulu.

Set in the Comanche Nation 300 years ago, “Prey” is the story of a young woman, Naru, a fierce and highly skilled warrior. She has been raised in the shadow of some of the most legendary hunters who roam the Great Plains, so when danger threatens her camp, she sets out to protect her people. The prey she stalks, and ultimately confronts, turns out to be a highly evolved alien predator with a technically advanced arsenal, resulting in a vicious and terrifying showdown between the two adversaries.

I hope to God this turns out to be good.

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

PVR IMAX Noida prices for Jurassic Park are 840 for normal tickets, and 1240 for recliner. 

what the f**k has happened to PVR pricing? Is it just me who thinks these are insane prices ? Worst is almost all these seats get full ! 

52 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

PVR IMAX Noida prices for Jurassic Park are 840 for normal tickets, and 1240 for recliner. 

what the f**k has happened to PVR pricing? Is it just me who thinks these are insane prices ? Worst is almost all these seats get full ! 

Try for weekday show and farther from the release date, it's loot during the first few days after release.

Dr Strange price for IMAX dropped from like 850 for those top row seats to 420 currently, it's just a week since release.

While chain specific price variations are obviously there, but these insanely hogh prices are driven by distributors. Footfalls are relatively low compared to pre pandemic times, hence many movies, which are for sure going to work at big cities, at being priced higher. Again, all at the discretion of distributors of these movies

Edited by Sach4life

Has become normal in Bangalore also, almost for 2 weeks of the new movie release :( 

57 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Try for weekday show and farther from the release date, it's loot during the first few days after release.

Dr Strange price for IMAX dropped from like 850 for those top row seats to 420 currently, it's just a week since release.

Frankly, given up on IMAX. For those want to see release day or nearby movies, these are atrocious prices. 

Went to Wave cinemas for DS2. 300 bucks a pop. Decent screen, decent sound. 

IMAX runs full at 850/1300 combo all through the first week. Who the f**k pays such prices ? 

53 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

While chain specific price variations are obviously there, but these insanely hogh prices are driven by distributors. Footfalls are relatively low compared to pre pandemic times, hence many movies, which are for sure going to work at big cities, at being priced higher. Again, all at the discretion of distributors of these movies

Looks like. IMAX runs houseful at least for the 1st or 2nd week with these prices too. And now tickets are being booked a month in advance, so there's a subtle pressure on those who want launch week viewing. 

5 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Has become normal in Bangalore also, almost for 2 weeks of the new movie release :( 

Just checked with Keyo. 650 weekend, 600 weekday Bangalore IMAX. Not even close to Delhi NCR.