Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

3 hours ago, North said:

I was hoping to watch this weekend but my friend bailed. I've been waiting ever since the trailer, will go alone if I have to.

Will book IMAX at Logix tomorrow. Hyped. 

No shame in going alone 

51 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Top Gun in 4DX just blew my f**king mind!

Admittedly the effects were a bit excessive and distracting in a few scenes, but it more than made up for it in the last half hour which was just perfect!

It was some of the most white knuckle sh*t I've seen, and 4DX made it that much more intense!

Now I can't imagine not watching it in 4DX. Already looking for shows to go watch it again :lol:

So yeah, two thumbs all the way up for 4DX!

good to know!

1 hour ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Admittedly the effects were a bit excessive and distracting in a few scenes, but it more than made up for it in the last half hour which was just perfect!

It was some of the most white knuckle sh*t I've seen, and 4DX made it that much more intense!

Now I can't imagine not watching it in 4DX. Already looking for shows to go watch it again :lol:

I feel all the movement takes away from the immersion (for me). 

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I went alone. #NoShame

1 hour ago, dylanjosh said:

No shame in going alone 

Booked noon show IMAX tomorrow. The entire hall was packed, and just 1 seat left top row for some reason. 

Love how this worked hahahaha

1 hour ago, STICK3Rboy said:

I came in here right after booking IMAX. No worries its gonna be a stellar experience either way.

41 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I like it in movies like Jurassic Park, especially in all the scenes when you're being chased by giant scary dinosaurs and ruslting through trees and bushes.
Tickets are already out, will be booking 4DX for the new Jurassic World early next month.

Just came out after watching Top Gun Maverick. Absolutely ??, part insane, part funny, part sadness. Overall one of the best movies this year.

The last 1/3 is straight up balls to the walls white knuckle ride.

This is What was playing in my head the second they hit the timer 

Headphones recommended 

Movie is heading for a 92 mil opening which will be the biggest of Tom Cruise’s career

This movie reinforces the fact that The Cruise Missile don’t miss

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

The problem is I can't connect the seat movement with whatever action happening on screen, so it immediately takes me out of immersion. I'm glad I watched Strange in 4DX and decided its not for me. Instead watched Maverick in IMAX and the huge curtain with chest thumping sound system was enough to induce goosebumps, no jiggly seats required.

4 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I felt that way in a few scenes where the movement was wild and erratic and wasn't really able to replicate some of the maneuvers being performed on-screen.

But other than that it was pretty much in-sync and worked especially well in the third act. So much so that I can't have it any other way now.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

The problem is I can't connect the seat movement with whatever action happening on screen, so it immediately takes me out of immersion. I'm glad I watched Strange in 4DX and decided its not for me. Instead watched Maverick in IMAX and the huge curtain with chest thumping sound system was enough to induce goosebumps, no jiggly seats required.

Doctor Strange isn't really a good choice IMO. I never even thought of watching it in 4DX.

I feel the movement works well when it has to simulate being in something tangible on-screen such as a vehicle. The best 4DX experiences I've had so far are Ford v Ferrari and Top Gun, both majorly involving vehicular movement.

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

I felt that way in a few scenes where the movement was wild and erratic and wasn't really able to replicate some of the maneuvers being performed on-screen.

But other than that it was pretty much in-sync and worked especially well in the third act. So much so that I can't have it any other way now.

Doctor Strange isn't really a good choice IMO. I never even thought of watching it in 4DX.

I feel the movement works well when it has to simulate being in something tangible on-screen such as a vehicle. The best 4DX experiences I've had so far are Ford v Ferrari and Top Gun, both majorly involving vehicular movement.

Ford v Ferrari was great in 4DX, even if Top Gun can give similar experience, then it is no-brainer to go for 4DX than other formats. I will watch it next week once the prices drop a bit.

Edited by him2anshu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Snake said:

Also, I'd ask everyone go watch the directors previous works.

Tron Legacy and Oblivion

Yeah Tron Legacy was dope! Too bad barely anyone remembers or talks about it anymore. "Flynn Lives" used to be a big thing among the small fanbase back then.

---

Also, why the f**k is OUATIH censored so much on Netflix India? :doh: "Smoking kills" warning taking a big chunk of the screen and some words are beeped out. I watched the movie in theaters and it wasn't censored at all! 

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Yeah Tron Legacy was dope! Too bad barely anyone remembers or talks about it anymore. "Flynn Lives" used to be a big thing among the small fanbase back then.

TL is absolutely bonkers on OLED. And crazy good soundtrack. 

I love Oblivion too. 

Tom Cruise can be a Scientology a**hole, but the guy knows movies. 

When Tom Cruise said that Top Gun: Maverick was a love letter to aviation, he wasn't kidding. Any scenes involving aircrafts, the visuals, the audio, and the scale and intensity are truly exhilarating. This is top class moviemaking. The first half is a super build-up, with interspersed action teasers, building up to this event that needs two miracles, which, true Maverick style, then ends up needing a few more. 

The movie has style, nostalgia, setting, and those heart-pumping and jaw-dropping moments in harmony, each aspect pushing the other one and highlighting it more. 

Cruise has aced the sequel summer blockbuster. The amount of care put into getting this to completion is evident. The in-flight and dogfight screen time is truly majestic. There is a love angle, there is past friction, a few characters returning, and a few new admirals getting pissed off. 

Above all, what I loved about the movie is that it made me believe that those were real naval fighter pilots out there, that the plane acrobatics were real, that it was a dangerous mission, that maverick was a superhero of a pilot who's spent his life flying and hasn't really grown up at all, and that he wields the plane like a goddamn extension of his body, like a samurai does with his sword. 

There are enough callbacks to the first one that you'd be remiss if you didn't really remember the movie, so if you haven't watched Top Gun: Maverick yet, I'd advise you to watch the first one and have it fresh in your mind when you go watch it in IMAX. Other theatres would be a compromise. 

There aren't many movies made these days that make you want to spend on the ticket, take time out, drive to the cinema, park, check-in, find a seat, and watch it with others who were driven just the same. Even though strangers, there is a subtext of a connection with everyone there. You know they are fans, and they've come to be entertained. And it's majestic. It's a thoroughly worthy evening out.

Go for it. Catch it in IMAX. The few hundred extra rupees are more than worth it and will not make a difference in your life. Experiences like these just might. 

9/10 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Snake said:

Tron Legacy and Oblivion

Ah. Didn't know that. Now that I think of it, TGM does have an Oblivion-y vibe to it. The movie has its faults though. It's a bit ham-fisted and the dialog is super-cringe in some places, but the overall experience is sublime. 

It's also very different to the first one. This one is too... Tom Cruise all the time. And the music is forgettable compared to the first one. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Tom Cruise can be a Scientology a**hole, but the guy knows movies. 

He has such acute precision now and has absolutely absorbed what works. He might be the biggest star of all time. Deservedly. I mean, imagine sitting on one of your greatest creations, this movie, and not being able to release it due to the pandemic. Man. 

Watched it in 4DX. What an absolute blast I had. Right from the first scene, as the jets revved and as the seat started vibrating, I knew I was in for a ride. The sync was perfect, each jerk and movement on screen translated perfectly to my seat. And not overdone either. No distraction in emotional scenes, perfect harmony in action scenes.

Totally totally worth it in 4DX. The wind, the jerks, the movements, the water...wonderful. And the movie is absolutely amazing in its own right too.

• Like 3

Also big props to recreating the 1:1 opening of the original.

And as much as the world have moved ( and the movie) has moved onto the F-18s , F-35s , sukhois etc. I still feel a special connection to the F-14 Tomcat. It has a more imposing silhouette to the others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kittoo said:

Watched it in 4DX. What an absolute blast I had. Right from the first scene, as the jets revved and as the seat started vibrating, I knew I was in for a ride. The sync was perfect, each jerk and movement on screen translated perfectly to my seat. And not overdone either. No distraction in emotional scenes, perfect harmony in action scenes.

Totally totally worth it in 4DX. The wind, the jerks, the movements, the water...wonderful. And the movie is absolutely amazing in its own right too.

I'm thinking of having a 2nd viewing, this time at 4DX. 

• Like 2

Watched it this morning. 10/10 movie experience, straight banger. 

Worth every f**king penny in IMAX. Like Bird, almost considering watching it again in 4DX this time, it was that good.

Soundtrack was top notch, dialogue was quippy and concise, the jokes landed, the plot made sense, the love angle was well done but not overshadowing the rest, and the visuals. 

Oh lord, the visuals. No green screen, just sheer adrenaline from Tom Cruise and the team. 

Have enjoyed Miles Teller in everything he does, like him just as much in this.

I was worried about a sequel 35 years down the line, worried they'd tank it and ruin the first one just to bank on 'Top Gun' name to get people running to the cinemas, but nothing to be afraid of for this was as perfect as a sequel can get. 

I can't say enough good things, and I don't remember the last time I had a cinema experience this good. Movie of the year for me so far, what a beautiful movie. 

Left the hall with a giant smile planted on my face. Enough gushing, go watch it in IMAX if anyone's still on the fence. 

Tom Cruise GIF by Top Gun

• Like 1