Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

11 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61710500

Reality can be a bit more complicated. 

Tl;dr? I had a quick glance and the author of the article is apparently saying that China isn't even mentioned in Top Gun and this is a sign of Beijing's power? By that logic, Top Gun doesn't mention India either, so I guess Hollywood is scared of us too?

8 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

The point is that a movie about elite airforce division does not mention China even though it's US' no 1 rival and called a threat by politicians and defence personnel. It's also heavily implied that the unnamed enemies are Chinese. They're just scared mention it. 

Uh... no. From what I understand, the unnamed enemy country was an amalgamation of a bunch of countries. The best guess from a lot of people was Iran, not China.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/6/3/23151745/top-gun-maverick-enemy-country

53 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

Tl;dr? I had a quick glance and the author of the article is apparently saying that China isn't even mentioned in Top Gun and this is a sign of Beijing's power? By that logic, Top Gun doesn't mention India either, so I guess Hollywood is scared of us too?

Quick glances can cause confusion. 

The article primarily says that adding a Taiwan flag has nothing to do with China. There have been incidences in the past when such incidents have been ignored, and movies have been allowed to run in China. 

Bottomline: China does not want you to know which movies can be banned or allowed, keeping everyone confused, and thus unable to take a decision and bow down to whatever CCP demands. 

• Like 1

I guess China doesn't also want Hollywood movies stealing limelight and box office money from their own movies. And they have been banning biggest blockbusters like NWH because of random "reasons". Although stuff like Strange 2 would have never released there because of horror elements/black magic and Top Gun is like the biggest "f**k yeah, 'merica" movie about American forces.

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Quick glances can cause confusion. 

The article primarily says that adding a Taiwan flag has nothing to do with China. There have been incidences in the past when such incidents have been ignored, and movies have been allowed to run in China. 

Bottomline: China does not want you to know which movies can be banned or allowed, keeping everyone confused, and thus unable to take a decision and bow down to whatever CCP demands. 

That can't be right lol. Taiwan flag was something that was present in the original Top Gun. What other reason would they have to remove it except China? After Tencent backed out and China started being confusing like you said, they added it back in.

7 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

The point is that a movie about elite airforce division does not mention China even though it's US' no 1 rival and called a threat by politicians and defence personnel. It's also heavily implied that the unnamed enemies are Chinese. They're just scared mention it. 

That's Russia though.

I guess it's supposed to be Iran because of the ancient F-14 tomcat just lying around in their hangars.

Apparently in the OG Top Gun too the soviets weren't mentioned by name, just the MiGs, and the SU50 here is also called a "fifth generation fighter" instead of you know the Su-50 :rofl:

Reminds me of those Selmon bhai or other *Khan films many years back than never mentioned the "Padosi Mulq" by name. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

They f**ked it by casting Ranbir. The guy can only do one look - constipated. 

Ayan Mukherjee said in an interview few years back he can't think beyond Ranbir for his movies . . 

Anyway excited for this movie hope it turns out good .

1 hour ago, Krazyniks said:

Ayan Mukherjee said in an interview few years back he can't think beyond Ranbir for his movies . . 

Anyway excited for this movie hope it turns out good .

Just from the trailer, one can see that he's either having a single expression throughout the movie, or is overacting in those fight scenes. 

I'm sure the movie will do good based on VFX. 

Dang, CGI does look pretty good.

Knowing Bollywood, they'll probably have some soppy love story shoehorn Ed into it and have everything else revolve around that. Still, maybe I'm wrong :/

23 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Just from the trailer, one can see that he's either having a single expression throughout the movie, or is overacting in those fight scenes. 

I'm sure the movie will do good based on VFX. 

Ranbir feels just weird for this role, could have gone with someone who usually does action movies like Hrithik or Vidyut. But I guess Bollywood wallahs love working within their circles only lol. The trailer reminds me of The Sorcerer's Apprentice.