Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

1 hour ago, achilles said:

The Gray Man was quite stupid, dispensable, usual, sombre, ridiculous with creative action, and fkn boss. Or, in other words, exactly what I was looking for last night. You could watch it completely without dialogs and you'd not have missed much. 

The action was good, not great, and movies like Atomic Blonde and John Wick with their precision and cleanliness have me spoiled, though this does get more creative at times. The first action scene with 4 was my favourite in creative execution, and the Prague shootout was all levels of boss. 

Also confirms my game theory that the grenade launcher is the best handheld weapon of all time. 

And just how good is Evans. Man. The movie does not work without him. 

Chris Evans is a better villian than a hero. 

20 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

'Starship Troopers' 4K Ultra HD Steelbook Arrives in November with New Extras

n3SZ5Jb.jpg

4K ULTRA HD/BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Director and Cast Commentary
  • Commentary with Paul Verhoeven and Ed Neumeier
  • FedNet Mode Picture-in-Picture
  • “Death From Above” Documentary
  • “Know Your Foe” Bug Featurettes
  • “The Spaceships from Starship Troopers” Featurette
  • “FX Comparisons” Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • The Making of Starship Troopers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Screen Tests
  • Scene Deconstructions

okPEI4M.gif%5B

Holy f**k. Nostalgia MAX ! I haven't bought a Blu-ray in ages, but this might just be indispensable. 

5 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Holy f**k. Nostalgia MAX ! I haven't bought a Blu-ray in ages, but this might just be indispensable. 

Yup. It's an absolute classic that deserves to be collected.

The special effects hold up pretty well even today, and the movie itself was, of course, ahead of its time.

9 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Chris Evans is a better villian than a hero. 

He’s just golden. Good with everything, but yeah, a more fun bad guy. He was awesome in knives out. 

9 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Is it too bad that I haven’t seen it? 

10 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

'Starship Troopers' 4K Ultra HD Steelbook Arrives in November with New Extras

n3SZ5Jb.jpg

4K ULTRA HD/BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Director and Cast Commentary
  • Commentary with Paul Verhoeven and Ed Neumeier
  • FedNet Mode Picture-in-Picture
  • “Death From Above” Documentary
  • “Know Your Foe” Bug Featurettes
  • “The Spaceships from Starship Troopers” Featurette
  • “FX Comparisons” Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • The Making of Starship Troopers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Screen Tests
  • Scene Deconstructions

okPEI4M.gif%5B

Intensifies Starship Troopers GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, achilles said:

JJc8N2O.gif

Go see it NAOW!

Don't watch it on Hotstar though. They seem to have heavily censored it.

Sail the high seas and grab the 4K version.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, achilles said:

He’s just golden. Good with everything, but yeah, a more fun bad guy. He was awesome in knives out. 

You'll join the mobile infantry soon.....

• Like 1

Every once in a while a thing comes along, that categorically shits on all our expectations, knowingly, with a smile. Requiem for a Dream is one such thing, and it came along last night in our life, and slapped our minds with pure, joyous art. 

How can it be so good, with so many things wrong with it? 

A movie should have pacing. Absolutely. It must. But Requiem just floats about, like a paper boat on a flooded street, seemingly without direction.

A movie should have a clear story. It should, absolutely. But Requiem plays about with the narrative, making it near invisible. The story did not matter. 

A movie should have engaging dialog. It really can't be a movie without it. But Requiem dialog is usually horseshit. 

Requiem doesn't do anything it's really supposed to, and yet it drew me in from the innocuous first scene with the TV, the trippy, background score, the Snatch-esque overused montage of visual cuts and sound effects, and kept my attention rapt till the absolute credits. (It's only Snatch-esque because I watched Snatch movie earlier, both came around the same time, two months from each other in the year 2000).

A trippy, almost lucid experience, Requiem is a complete vision. It is of its kind, and it is fully of its kind, without adulterations. The performances, each of which are exceptional, are the soul of the movie. It couldn't be what it is, without all these pieces falling in place in the exact manner that they have.

Get a lonely night, get comfortable, get high, put this movie on, escape reality. That would be one of those evenings you won't soon forget. 3. No orgasms. 

Darren Aronofsky has made a cool piece of art. 

9/10

Edited by achilles
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mohit9206 said:

Watched Get Out. Wow what a crazy movie. 

The movie is so deep on so many levels. I remember reading through this reddit thread and having my mind blown by all the small symbolic details and foreshadowing. Please go through it! 

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5vv1qh/official_discussion_get_out_spoilers/?sort=confidence

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

The movie is so deep on so many levels. I remember reading through this reddit thread and having my mind blown by all the small symbolic details and foreshadowing. Please go through it! 

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5vv1qh/official_discussion_get_out_spoilers/?sort=confidence

Yes that's usually the first thing I do after watching a movie, visit the official reddit discussion thread. I was just as amazed reading all the comments as I was watching the movie. 

On 7/31/2022 at 2:24 PM, achilles said:

Every once in a while a thing comes along, that categorically shits on all our expectations, knowingly, with a smile. Requiem for a Dream is one such thing, and it came along last night in our life, and slapped our minds with pure, joyous art. 

How can it be so good, with so many things wrong with it? 

A movie should have pacing. Absolutely. It must. But Requiem just floats about, like a paper boat on a flooded street, seemingly without direction.

A movie should have a clear story. It should, absolutely. But Requiem plays about with the narrative, making it near invisible. The story did not matter. 

A movie should have engaging dialog. It really can't be a movie without it. But Requiem dialog is usually horseshit. 

Requiem doesn't do anything it's really supposed to, and yet it drew me in from the innocuous first scene with the TV, the trippy, background score, the Snatch-esque overused montage of visual cuts and sound effects, and kept my attention rapt till the absolute credits. (It's only Snatch-esque because I watched Snatch movie earlier, both came around the same time, two months from each other in the year 2000).

A trippy, almost lucid experience, Requiem is a complete vision. It is of its kind, and it is fully of its kind, without adulterations. The performances, each of which are exceptional, are the soul of the movie. It couldn't be what it is, without all these pieces falling in place in the exact manner that they have.

Get a lonely night, get comfortable, get high, put this movie on, escape reality. That would be one of those evenings you won't soon forget. 3. No orgasms. 

Darren Aronofsky has made a cool piece of art. 

9/10

Totally agree i-keel-you. That is one of my favourite movies of all time for that very same reason.

Just one thing that you didn't mention is the wondrous (even haunting for some) soundtrack which elevates the movie, the movie just wouldn't have been the same without the magic of the Kronos Quarter :wub:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abhi90 said:

Totally agree i-keel-you. That is one of my favourite movies of all time for that very same reason.

Just one thing that you didn't mention is the wondrous (even haunting for some) soundtrack which elevates the movie, the movie just wouldn't have been the same without the magic of the Kronos Quarter :wub:

That was my bad. I knew I should’ve gone back in and edited. I also read on how Aronofsky worked with the Kronos Quartet and nearly made them lose their minds :lol: 

Haunting and wondrous is apt. I’ve been listening to Summer Overture since. B.e.a.utiful. 

9 hours ago, achilles said:

That was my bad. I knew I should’ve gone back in and edited. I also read on how Aronofsky worked with the Kronos Quartet and nearly made them lose their minds :lol: 

Haunting and wondrous is apt. I’ve been listening to Summer Overture since. B.e.a.utiful. 

I've had the chance to see Kronos Quartet live and they were taking requests so I asked them to play Summer Overture. They didn't but at least they played the finale of Aronofsky's 'The Fountain'

I found a 6 min (fan-made) version of Summer Overture which mixes in elements of Lux Aeterna as well and it is great!

:wub:

11 hours ago, abhi90 said:

I've had the chance to see Kronos Quartet live and they were taking requests so I asked them to play Summer Overture. They didn't but at least they played the finale of Aronofsky's 'The Fountain'

I found a 6 min (fan-made) version of Summer Overture which mixes in elements of Lux Aeterna as well and it is great!

:wub:

My god man. Where and when?
By all means, do share. 

• Like 1