Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

On 8/7/2022 at 10:48 AM, Ethan_Hunt said:

Saw Prey last night and absolutely loved it. The cinematography, the location, pacing, fight sequences and the predator design were f*cking great. I'm surprised for a streaming movie this really surpassed all my expectations. Highly recommended and this will be a treat for audio lovers too; the sound effects were just exquisite. Dam, this should have had a theatrical release, would have paid to watch it in ATMOS. 

this, pretty much, loved Prey

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 8:54 PM, radicaldude said:

I think playing an idiot/eccentric comes naturally to Amir Khan. 

The funny thing is, the writer of the movie Atul Kulkarni, who's a national award winning veteran actor, had actually asked Aamir Khan to tone down the acting but he didn't listen lol. Aamir himself said this in an interview. The director didn't have any objections either because he was basically hired as a puppet for Aamir to do all the ghost directing.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:23 AM, achilles said:

Those of use fortunate enough to have a good a/v set-up, make it earn its keep by screening The Batman. It’s not a very good movie overall, but damn if it won’t make you glad you could experience it in a good setting. It is gorgeous, Gotham-ic, and super filmic. One of those showcase things. If you think it looks great on an OLED display, try it on a calibrated projector and screen set-up. It will physically arouse you. If you’ve got a sub too, it will make you cum. It has a beautiful bass track, which Prime Video usually up samples a bit, so for a more crisp experience dial the level down a notch. 

Pick the earliest possible time you can screen it, get on it now. This should be your priority in life.

I’ll be getting the BD. 

Saw it today after your review, I have been hardly getting any time to watch anything, and had been pushing this movie for sometime, of very very few I had in my wishlist. I kind of agree with your observation the sound track is very good but still left me asking for a bit more. Maybe a 4K disc would sound better then prime video, plus obvioulsy your setup is another level.

That said I liked the movie quite a bit, yes the last 60 mins could have been done in 20 mins maybe or 30 at max, but overall it is one of the batman movies that i really enjoyed. Pattinson has nailed the role, I don't think he smiled even once in the entire movie. He pulled off the look to perfection, the entire setup was amazing. Took me sometime to watch it, but glad I did. That said no energy and time for a rewatch anymore for any movie :P

Highlight of the movie for me, was the last ride, vibes hai Bro!! :D

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

He never had an original idea in his life. Almost all his movies are unofficial remakes.

unknown.png
No
original
ideas
ever.

Priyadarshan is a multi-language director. He directs in both Malayalam and Hindi. He has also done films in both Tamil and Telugu. He's primarily a Malayalam Movie Director though and in 2013 retired from other language cinema to go back to only doing Malayalam films. He's adopted films in all languages (Including his original films). He's quite a creative person.

That said, Comedy films take a lot of inspiration from a lot of sources. You will find Hindi films taking story beats from South Indian films, South Indian Films from Hindi, all from foreign films, foreign films taking inspiration from Indian films etc. There's only so much you can do.

41 minutes ago, dante77 said:

All comedy movies were inspired and/or copied. Awara Paagal Deewana, Hera Pheri both parts etc were all taken and even scenes were copied. 

Yet I enjoyed those movies, even more than their original counterpart. 

Of course you'd enjoy movies that were made in your own native language more especially if you saw them first before the originals.

7 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Priyadarshan is a multi-language director. He directs in both Malayalam and Hindi. He has also done films in both Tamil and Telugu. He's primarily a Malayalam Movie Director though and in 2013 retired from other language cinema to go back to only doing Malayalam films. He's adopted films in all languages (Including his original films). He's quite a creative person.

That said, Comedy films take a lot of inspiration from a lot of sources. You will find Hindi films taking story beats from South Indian films, South Indian Films from Hindi, all from foreign films, foreign films taking inspiration from Indian films etc. There's only so much you can do.

Don't see how directing movies in different languages is a sign of creativity. I wouldn't say he's a bad director but he has been creatively bankrupt and a serial plagarizer from his very first movie. Just look at this. unknown.png

Also, 'inspiration' is different from copying scene by scene which is what Priyadarshan does.

I don't care about remakes or copies or whatever. If I am spending time and money on a movie all I ask is to be entertained for 2+ hours.  For original stuff we have lots of Hollywood and now Korean stuff to watch. From Bollywood i only expect atleast make an honest remake with people who can act and not bore us to death with ridiculous script and dialogues. 

Of course you'd enjoy movies that were made in your own native language more especially if you saw them first before the originals.

I disagree. Native language doesn't matter. There are lot of shitty remarkes and copy cats that Bollywood did early on and all of them failed. The likes of Zayed Khan and Shadi Kapoors did a lot of cheap copy IIRC and they were awful.

A copy/remake has to be well made in order to be enjoyable. Awara Paagal Deewana was a copy of whole nine yards, yet I enjoyed desi copy more. What worked is not the copy stuff, but the original banter between characters. I am totally OK with a copied movie but it has to bring something on its own.

Having said that, I think the above logic is only applied comedy movies as so far only this genre is successful in it. Rest we see how everything else is turning out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

It’s quite true that the Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar, Govinda energy is wholly original despite the premise being copied. That scene where Chota Chhattre’s flame just drinks the glass of milk bottoms up is forever etched into memory.

I refuse to give the director credit for that though. It’s still pretty low effort as things go. Coming to comedies, the likes of Dum Laga ke Haisha were original, funny and at time emotional. I’d rather movies of those types be promoted rather than just another remake.

For someone who usually has no idea about original content and they are generally not famous. I am ok with remakes. It's actually the only way I come to know about some good films like Drishyam lol

1 hour ago, KnackChap said:

Here is the original dubbed in hindi. Extremely well made movie and edge of the seat stuff from start to end. Dont think the hindi version will do it justice like other bolly remakes. 

This is also a remake :O

See this is my point! I usually get to know of the existence of these when a remake is made or it is hyped. Else I have no way of knowing! 

Since Akhay's movie is close. I'll probably watch that only. Any other less known well made thriller movies from south? 

14 hours ago, AtheK said:

Highlight of the movie for me, was the last ride, vibes hai Bro!! :D

Not surprised that the ride was the highlight for you. Let's do a track weekend soon. Street riding is useless, and an unbecoming constraint on the bikes in your garage. :P 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dante77 said:

This is also a remake :O

See this is my point! I usually get to know of the existence of these when a remake is made or it is hyped. Else I have no way of knowing! 

Since Akhay's movie is close. I'll probably watch that only. Any other less known well made thriller movies from south? 

HIT the first case is pretty solid. a bollywood remake starring Rajkumar is already out but they changed the climax from *something something* to LGBTQ stuff which makes no sense. :rofl:

vikram vedha is a pretty good watch too. the ending is a bit weak however.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KnackChap said:

Here is the original dubbed in hindi. Extremely well made movie and edge of the seat stuff from start to end. Dont think the hindi version will do it justice like other bolly remakes. 

True! The original movie was excellent. 

Edited by nitinveer