Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

4 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Same.

Marvel movies just don't seem to generate enough hype to go watch in theatres after DS2 and Thor4.

Meanwhile, DC's Black Adam started out 'meh' but piqued my interest recently, even before the rumors of Supe showing up. There's also Flashpoint coming soon.

Oh? Superman is going to show up? Wow. Man, I've always been a DC guy deep in my heart. And I don't mean the shitty movies. Also, same. Didn't even watch Thor 4 and I'm honestly done with the MCU. I'm a free man.

4 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

Film is about Raja Raja Chola within Tamil Nadu and rest of India or does it contain his raid on the indonesian/malaysian peninsula also, i.e the naval battles?

I know only two main things about that Chola king, one that he went on a war somewhere in the north to support his nephew who was in a succession dispute vs some relative supported by local kings, and ofc the naval raids on some kingdom in Indonesia, but getting mixed up in the timelines.

Even I didnt know much about Raja Raja chola. But after the movie, got to know about his big history. He's supposedly considered as one of the smartest and powerful rulers in India. 

In one instance, he waged a series of wars and defeated a string of Indian kings on the path to Ganga, just because some king denied to give him some water from the Ganga river :D

But the movie, at least the part 1, doesn't cover any of that. It only just covers some parts before his ascension to the throne. And also a lot of politics surrounding his father(present king), brother(karikala chola) and his old affair. 

Edited by Ram Dante
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ram Dante said:

Even I didnt know much about Raja Raja chola. But after the movie, got to know about his big history. He's supposedly considered as one of the smartest and powerful rulers in India. 

In one instance, he waged a series of wars and defeated a string of Indian kings on the path to Ganga, just because some king denied to give him some water from the Ganga river :D

But the movie, at least the part 1, doesn't cover any of that. It only just covers some parts before his ascension to the throne. And also a lot of politics surrounding his father(present king), brother(karikala chola) and his old affair. 

This is the same war regarding the nephew's succession dispute, basically he was then in the vicinity of the Ganga so he decided to take a lot of water from it on his way back home

Anyway thanks for info.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

Film is about Raja Raja Chola within Tamil Nadu and rest of India or does it contain his raid on the indonesian/malaysian peninsula also, i.e the naval battles?

I know only two main things about that Chola king, one that he went on a war somewhere in the north to support his nephew who was in a succession dispute vs some relative supported by local kings, and ofc the naval raids on some kingdom in Indonesia, but getting mixed up in the timelines.

nothing of that sort is here. its more of a slow political saga than something like like troy or bahubali. only refrence to going north is when the elder prince (adita karikalan)  says he want to go conquer kalinga and naval sequence would be a when raja raja lands in lanka but thats more like the normandy beach landing than a proper naval battle. and then there's the climax which takes place completely on a single warship. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Assassins Creed said:

Hindi and Telugu version coming next week but it lacks the nativity of the OG version.

I watched it twice in Kannada and its topclass..

On 10/5/2022 at 11:14 PM, Outlook said:

Guys watch Kannada movie Kantara, its fantastic... 

I'm hearing great things about this.  It's running housefull in many theaters in blr, will try catching it next weekend.

BTW, if you guys understand kannada, watch this movie called 'garuda gamana vrishabha vahana'.  One of the most brutal/realistic/neo noir crime movies I've seen.  It's slow and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i found it to be quite an artistic/experimental movie like a Tarantino classic but set in coastal karnataka.  Also, the movie is partly in tulu, so you might need subs even if you understand kannada.

46 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

I'm hearing great things about this.  It's running housefull in many theaters in blr, will try catching it next weekend.

BTW, if you guys understand kannada, watch this movie called 'garuda gamana vrishabha vahana'.  One of the most brutal/realistic/neo noir crime movies I've seen.  It's slow and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i found it to be quite an artistic/experimental movie like a Tarantino classic but set in coastal karnataka.  Also, the movie is partly in tulu, so you might need subs even if you understand kannada.

I did watch that one but didn't appeal that much to me.. I liked Ulidavaru Kandanthe better..

Definitely watch Kanthara, you will love it

Having never seen Hellraiser before, the Cenobites are the only reason I saw it till the end as they are quite intriguing. The body horror is done very well. The meh acting sucks the air out of the whole story. 

Also watched Bodies Bodies Bodies where the unexpected reveal in the last scene made the whole movie worth watching. A decent whodunnit. 

• Like 1

Prey was a good watch. One of those cinema experience movies. It will shine if you have a good a/v set-up, and will make you glad you went a little nutty for it. Some rough edges and possibly budget related constraints aside, it is a tightly made movie that hits right and hits well. Some sequences are gorgeous. 

About the only thing that doesn’t work (at all) is the tribe-folks’ fluency in English, complete with accent variation, and then for them to call the gun slinging French “white folk” :D  

Has some shades of The Revenant in scenery, which is about the best compliment a movie can carry for outdoor and nature-scape cinematography. The bear helps too. 

Properly recommended. 

• Like 2

PS-1

I had high expectations considering the good word of mouth reviews. It's a very well made movie no doubt but somehow fell short of my expectations. For someone who has seen Game of Thrones it's easy to relate with different kingdoms, the politics, power struggle for throne etc. However, movie lacks action set pieces and twists which are necessary for such a story. It looked like this was more a build up for Part 2. Everyone has acted well and Ash looks absolutely beautiful as the queen. Let's see how Part 2 pans out in few months.

Lal Singh Chaddha

In one word - Snoozefest. I thank my stars I didn't watched it in a theatre. Aamir needs to do some introspection of his acting skills as this was absolutely below par. I didn't even finished the movie cos I was really bored.

• Like 1

Werewolf By Night- Really fun special of 50 minutes. Completely new vibe from the starting logo, doesn't even feel like Marvel/superhero content. If anything, it reminded me of of Universal's classic monster movies.  Man-Thing was practical and looked great.  Would love more such specials and this bodes well for future horror content like Blade.

Vikram Vedha- Wow maybe Bollywood deserves all the crappy movies lately, barely few people for a good movie like this one at my screening. I had seen the original last month and this was better in many parts. Every scene with Hrithik is badass, dude is on whole another level. Saif was like his character from Sacred Games and doesn't even come close. Only gripe is the run time. 

2 hours ago, harsh1387 said:

NOOO

I saw its trailer when we went for Ps-1. 

This doesn't look good and same old generic Akshay Kumar movie.

I agree, was just remembering how Adipurush looked even worse than this.

At this point I feel Indian movie industries shouldn't touch either of the epics without gaining enough technical prowess :/

Maybe bankroll Japan to make another anime movie or a mini series for Mahabharata. 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:42 PM, cyberpunk said:

Vikram Vedha- Wow maybe Bollywood deserves all the crappy movies lately, barely few people for a good movie like this one at my screening. I had seen the original last month and this was better in many parts. Every scene with Hrithik is badass, dude is on whole another level. Saif was like his character from Sacred Games and doesn't even come close. Only gripe is the run time. 

Watched it in theatres , but did not feel the punch original har. Dont know why was hrithik forcing the bihari accent looked bad on him. Also vijay had such natrual flow. 

On 10/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, cyberpunk said:

Werewolf By Night- Really fun special of 50 minutes. Completely new vibe from the starting logo, doesn't even feel like Marvel/superhero content. If anything, it reminded me of of Universal's classic monster movies.  Man-Thing was practical and looked great.  Would love more such specials and this bodes well for future horror content like Blade.

Same. Liked the movie a lot. Hrithik was superb. Said was decent as well, though no match for Hrithik