Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

13 hours ago, 0verlord said:

How’s Babylon 2022 movie?

new-official-poster-for-babylon-v0-twrl7

For a lack of better word, everything is over the top and not in a good way. If the director's intention was to show debauchery, recklessness, degeneracy and vices of the golden period of hollywood, when it was transitioning from silent to spoken, in the same vein as say Wolf of the Wall Street, then it has failed completely. Everything is shown excessively and without any substance. Story is nothing to write home about. By middle of the movie you would know how each character's arc is going to end. The performances are ok. Margot Robbie seems to be overacting. Brad Pitt is basically sleepwalking through the role. Diego Calva is good. After the stupendous First Man, it is a shame this is what Damien Chazelle has brought forth with all the budget he was afforded. Didnt like it much and 3 hrs were a slog.

P.S. - There is a nice set piece in the middle of the movie where a movie is being shot on a soundstage during the earlier days of spoken films. Now that was fun to watch.

Edited by R3D_D3ViL
  • Like 1

^ Yeah that's pretty much how I felt about it. I was hyped to see it as I loved La La Land/Whiplash and the trailers were good. But it tried too hard to be like Boogie Nights for the silent era of Hollywood. It's just "look Hollywood was so wild back then!". There's no substance or story. As much as I like Margot, getting really tired of her playing the same type of characters in everything. Emma Stone dropped out of this movie and I could finally see why. Pitt was ok for the most part, in fact I was liking his performance towards the end. But the Mexican actor, Diego Calva easily outshone both.

Edited by cyberpunk

Watched La La Land. Such a beautiful movie. Quite literally, the cinematography and direction was so so good! Striking colours and all. Amazing music. Beautiful story and acting too. Was moved to tears on multiple ocassions. Very much deserved all the praise and awards it got. Emma Stone was lovely, very genuine heartfelt performance from her. She's always so expressive in her roles. 

Special mention to the wardrobe. Both charcters were always looking so snazzy. I want that brown suit Gosling wore. 

6 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Watched La La Land. Such a beautiful movie. Quite literally, the cinematography and direction was so so good! Striking colours and all. Amazing music. Beautiful story and acting too. Was moved to tears on multiple ocassions. Very much deserved all the praise and awards it got. Emma Stone was lovely, very genuine heartfelt performance from her. She's always so expressive in her roles. 

Special mention to the wardrobe. Both charcters were always looking so snazzy. I want that brown suit Gosling wore. 

Yep, that movie made me a huge fan of her too. She's so effortlessly pretty! :wub:

6 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Ant man and Wasp is releasing this week. Seems to be very low buzz (heh). 

Trailer looked like a spy kids movie. Not much excitement because of that.

Guardians of galaxy 3 looks good. Might watch it in theaters.

8 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Ant man and Wasp is releasing this week. Seems to be very low buzz (heh). 

After Doctor Strange 2 and Thor : Love and Thunder, lord help me if I pay for another MCU movie at the theatres. 

Gonna be a hotstar watch in two months time. 

Anxiously awaiting a good reason to visit the theatres, the flow has severely dried up imo. 

Binged on ‘the romantics’ on Netflix.  A documentary on Yash Chopra/Yash Raj films.  The first 2 episodes were good and the last 30 mins of the final episode was quite emotional.  The guy is truly a legend in Indian cinema.  After watching the series,I felt that we often talk of Hollywood directors when we talk of cinema but give little to no credit to Indian directors who actually had such a huge role to play in taking our Indian cinema to an industry level !  Hopefully we get to see more series about such Indian cinema legends !  Also pretty ironical that his last movie was titled ‘jab Tak hai jaan !!

Edited by Ne0