Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

2 hours ago, North said:

Don't get me wrong i liked that too, but the Oscars have a rule that if the movie is just a lot of fun and isn't super deep and layered it cannot make the cut.

Top Gun Maverick is the best movie I've seen in a theatre for a long, long while. 

Glad someone said it. I wonder if this rule if actually official. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, North said:

Top Gun Maverick is the best movie I've seen in a theatre for a long, long while. 

8 hours ago, North said:

Don't get me wrong i liked that too, but the Oscars have a rule that if the movie is just a lot of fun and isn't super deep and layered it cannot make the cut.

Same. 

Everything about Maverick was top notch. 

It’s very rare to experience “real” movies and blockbuster filmmaking these days. 

If any of you have/get apple tv+ for ted lasso, I recommend also checking out the movie Cha Cha Real Smooth.

I watched it this afternoon. Stars Dakota Johnson, Copper Raiff and Leslie Mann, its about a young college grad with an interesting job who comes across a mother and her autistic child at a friend's bar mitzvah. Its not hyper focused on autism, depression but an amalgam of themes surrounding the same, and the complex dynamics of relationships. 

Its really well shot, has the premium cinematic look of an apple tv exclusive, its thematically rich, the actors do a great job with the realistic awkwardness that movies normally smooth out - and most importantly its a conversation starter. 

Discussion will only enrich the experience. Happy to have seen it, and of course Dakota Johnson is stunning as always. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North said:

If any of you have/get apple tv+ for ted lasso, I recommend also checking out the movie Cha Cha Real Smooth.

I watched it this afternoon. Stars Dakota Johnson, Copper Raiff and Leslie Mann, its about a young college grad with an interesting job who comes across a mother and her autistic child at a friend's bar mitzvah. Its not hyper focused on autism, depression but an amalgam of themes surrounding the same, and the complex dynamics of relationships. 

Its really well shot, has the premium cinematic look of an apple tv exclusive, its thematically rich, the actors do a great job with the realistic awkwardness that movies normally smooth out - and most importantly its a conversation starter. 

Discussion will only enrich the experience. Happy to have seen it, and of course Dakota Johnson is stunning as always. 

I am beginning to realise that Dakota Johnson is not just the nudity from 50 shades of grey but a decent actor.

3 hours ago, b!T said:

I am beginning to realise that Dakota Johnson is not just the nudity from 50 shades of grey but a decent actor.

yeah those movies shifted the perspective and made her look like complete eye candy but she's a fairly good actress. 

this movie is a great example, not easy to make awkward conversations look natural.