Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Movie wasnt good yes but Im curious why you felt it invalidated T2. Maybe I missed something. As per my knowledge it is supposed to be a direct sequel to T2.

You can go straight from T1 to Dark Fate and it'd be exact same outcome. Imagine if first 5 mins of Dark Fate were added at the end of T2, you'd be like"wtf, what was the point of all that?"

Saw The Founder

Very enjoyable. Michael Keaton is amazing as usual. Has he ever been bad?

Anyways, always thought  Ray Kroc / McDonald's story is happy and beloved but it wasn't. The guy was a total arsehole (or driven - depends on how you see it) and pretty much kicked the founder brothers out while he went on to expand a massive empire around the world. You can't help but feel bad for duo. Hand shake deal was total bullshite and had no choice but accept as Kroc would just bury them in debt and eventually buy for less. $1 million is nothing compared to 1% of royalties. That's more than $100m+ a year. 

Though, what Kroc did was amazing. Taking that small restaurant idea and transformed into one of the largest real estate holders in the world feeding 1% of the population. 

It's the name "McDonald" that sells. 

The Vast of a Night on Prime 

Whoa ! Debut movie by the director. 50s Retro goodness. Excellent cinematography, gripping story, so much focus on characters and dialogues. The actors nailed it ! 

Reminded me of Close Encounters by Spielberg. 

Will not give out much details. Just watch it. 

Highly recommended. 

On 6/6/2020 at 4:46 AM, Joe Cool said:

Saw The Founder

Anyways, always thought  Ray Kroc / McDonald's story is happy and beloved but it wasn't. The guy was a total arsehole (or driven - depends on how you see it) and pretty much kicked the founder brothers out while he went on to expand a massive empire around the world. You can't help but feel bad for duo. Hand shake deal was total bullshite and had no choice but accept as Kroc would just bury them in debt and eventually buy for less. $1 million is nothing compared to 1% of royalties. That's more than $100m+ a year. 

Though, what Kroc did was amazing. Taking that small restaurant idea and transformed into one of the largest real estate holders in the world feeding 1% of the population. 

I think just basis the movie, the brother duo just had no ambition and were damn adamant about running things, so much so the restaurants were becoming uneconomical to run. What's the point of running a business when you cant even make a profit?

On 6/6/2020 at 4:46 AM, Joe Cool said:

Saw The Founder

I think just basis the movie, the brother duo just had no ambition and were damn adamant about running things, so much so the restaurants were becoming uneconomical to run. What's the point of running a business when you cant even make a profit?

6 hours ago, playstationdude said:

No? The brothers were happy with how things were ran. Yes, not huge profit which Kroc wanted but they were still profiting. Brothers didn't want to expand so fast as they didn't want to lose the quality of the food and Kroc had other plans. 

For example - Kroc switched milk to powdered. Losing the quality and that's not what brothers wanted. 

Ray, we have no interest in a milkshake that contains no milk. Why don't we add sawdust to the hamburgers while we're at it? Frozen french fries. It's called a milk shake, Ray, real milk, now and forever.

Despite that, Kroc decided to ignore and go ahead with his plan. Real estate and use McDonald name and expand. Eventually force the brothers out by making the deal. The duo couldn't even refuse as Kroc would just pile them in court debt and get them. 

I, witnessed this incredible movie Tumbbad and i am glad that it was suggested by a friend.We hardly get a good bollywood mythical/horror genre with a level of maturity. The atmosphere and the music was enough to give the chills.

The music was from Jesper Kyd. 

I, feel disappointed to know that an amazing movie like this struggle to reach 20cr mark whereas crap movies with big stars in it crosses 100cr club easily. 

23 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

I, witnessed this incredible movie Tumbbad and i am glad that it was suggested by a friend.We hardly get a good bollywood mythical/horror genre with a level of maturity. The atmosphere and the music was enough to give the chills.

I, feel disappointed to know that an amazing movie like this struggle to reach 20cr mark whereas crap movies with big stars in it crosses 100cr club easily. 

I think the budget was low, and it exceeded expecatitions. They are making part 2 as well.

Regarding 100 cr point, well for the same reason a cricketer will be paid 1 cr /year salary but an essential healthcare nurse will only be paid 6-7 l /year- Star power draws audience and ads.

Edited by playstationdude

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Star power draws audience and ads.

People often forget that. :lol: You are only paid that much because you attract huge crowd and bring more than what you are getting paid. 

3 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

That is how it is everywhere. Only difference is, in Hollywood, it is the brand instead of the individual actor. Mediocre superhero movies earn more than a billion whereas great movies hardly reach one tenth of that.

• Like 1

Yeah star power is dead these days in Hollywood. A bad movie is going to flop no matter who stars in it. On exception imo is The Rock. His charisma can make mediocre movies blockbusters. 
Even his star power is limited to certain type of movies and to a certain number only. There is only one old school box office star present in hollywood today whose name alone can make a movie gross big and thats Leo. Even the likes of Will Smith and Tom Cruise don't hold that cache anymore

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Yeah star power is dead these days in Hollywood. A bad movie is going to flop no matter who stars in it. On exception imo is The Rock. His charisma can make mediocre movies blockbusters. 
Even his star power is limited to certain type of movies and to a certain number only. There is only one old school box office star present in hollywood today whose name alone can make a movie gross big and thats Leo. Even the likes of Will Smith and Tom Cruise don't hold that cache anymore

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, playstationdude said:

think the budget was low, and it exceeded expecatitions. They are making part 2 as well.

I,  agree on this but the movie's budget was low but it took them 6 years to make this film. I'd give 10/10 for the effort though as they invested so much time for making it a super hit to keep the audiences flabbergasted but unfortunately it didn't reach the bar which makes it worth their efforts imo. 

What? Leo never pulled big numbers. Tom Cruise and Will Smith still bring in way more than Leo has ever done. 

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood didn't even break Mummy's collection forget about breaking MI collection. Not even The Wolf of Wall Street did well. 

• Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) - $791m
  • The Mummy (2017) - $410m
  • Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - $682

Not even counting smaller movies like American Made (2017) and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

• Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019) - $375m
  • The Revenant (2015) - $530m
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - $392

That's low...so low that Will Smith's Bad Boys for Life (2020) beat it. $420m. Aladdin (2019) $1b+. Yeah, Disney stuff but Smith killed as Genie. 

Other than Titanic (1997) and  Inception (2010), none of the Leo movies were big box office hits. 

As for Rock, he is in his own league. 

• Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) - $795m
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) - $760m
  • Skyscraper (2018) - $300m
  • Rampage (2018) - $430m
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - $962m
  • Moana (2016) - $690m

He makes too many movies. Good or bad, people love to see The Rock. The charisma oozes.