Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

13 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

What? Leo never pulled big numbers. Tom Cruise and Will Smith still bring in way more than Leo has ever done. 

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood didn't even break Mummy's collection forget about breaking MI collection. Not even The Wolf of Wall Street did well. 

• Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) - $791m
  • The Mummy (2017) - $410m
  • Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - $682

Not even counting smaller movies like American Made (2017) and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

• Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019) - $375m
  • The Revenant (2015) - $530m
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - $392

That's low...so low that Will Smith's Bad Boys for Life (2020) beat it. $420m. Aladdin (2019) $1b+. Yeah, Disney stuff but Smith killed as Genie. 

Other than Titanic (1997) and  Inception (2010), none of the Leo movies were big box office hits. 

As for Rock, he is in his own league. 

• Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) - $795m
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) - $760m
  • Skyscraper (2018) - $300m
  • Rampage (2018) - $430m
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - $962m
  • Moana (2016) - $690m

He makes too many movies. Good or bad, people love to see The Rock. The charisma oozes. 

When I see rock starring in a movie, at least I'm assured it will be entertaining and worth my money.

5 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

What? Leo never pulled big numbers. Tom Cruise and Will Smith still bring in way more than Leo has ever done. 

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood didn't even break Mummy's collection forget about breaking MI collection. Not even The Wolf of Wall Street did well. 

• Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) - $791m
  • The Mummy (2017) - $410m
  • Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) - $682

Not even counting smaller movies like American Made (2017) and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

• Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019) - $375m
  • The Revenant (2015) - $530m
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - $392

That's low...so low that Will Smith's Bad Boys for Life (2020) beat it. $420m. Aladdin (2019) $1b+. Yeah, Disney stuff but Smith killed as Genie. 

Other than Titanic (1997) and  Inception (2010), none of the Leo movies were big box office hits. 

As for Rock, he is in his own league. 

• Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) - $795m
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) - $760m
  • Skyscraper (2018) - $300m
  • Rampage (2018) - $430m
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - $962m
  • Moana (2016) - $690m

He makes too many movies. Good or bad, people love to see The Rock. The charisma oozes. 

Thank you for proving my point. Neither of the movies of Will Smith or Tom Cruise work primarily because of them. Put them in a big brand like Alladin/Disney, MI, Suicide Squad etc and you would see big numbers, but outside of big branded AAA action tentpoles, they are hardly the stars they used to be. By this logic, even Chris Pratt is a huge box office draw right now.

Movies like The Revenant or Once upon a time or The wolf of Wall street have absolutely no business earning more than $400 million in today's Hollywood. Adult entertainers don't work there anymore like they used to. People have stopped going to the movies just for the sake of going to the movies. Leo is pretty much the only actor in Hollywood right now who can actually make those movies earn as much as he does. Now compare them with original entertainers of Will Smith or Tom Cruise and how much they have earned in the past few years. Gemini ($174 million), Collateral Beauty ($89 million), Focus ($160 million) and Concussion ($49). 10-15 years back, all of these movies would have easily earned big money, like Will Smith's movies used to. I am not saying that Leo is bigger than either of the two when you compare their peaks. But right now, he is easily a bigger star. 

Rock is huge, no doubt on that. It would interesting to see how much his movie earns outside the big budget action template in which he works though.

Edited by Sach4life

8 minutes ago, adity said:

But the movies Leo works in are great movies made by ace directors. I don't think anyone is going to the theatres to watch Leo. Tarantino, Scorcese, etc with whom Leo works with are guaranteed to make money and loved by fans. I'd say directors are the real superstars in Hollywood. Names like Nolan, tarantino, etc. sell movies. 

Disagree. In a world where even actors have little cache and star power, directors can hardly claim to have that. Hateful Eight didn't earn even half of Django or Once upon a timr in hollywood and which known director does The Revenant has? That earned almost $600 million. Show me another serious, almost 3 hour long drama that earned that much that didn't have a known brand behind it (like Joker). 

24 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Disagree. In a world where even actors have little cache and star power, directors can hardly claim to have that. Hateful Eight didn't earn even half of Django or Once upon a timr in hollywood and which known director does The Revenant has? That earned almost $600 million. Show me another serious, almost 3 hour long drama that earned that much that didn't have a known brand behind it (like Joker). 

Can actors just clear the cache and improve their star power? Or do they become slow when cache is cleared?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Thank you for proving my point. Neither of the movies of Will Smith or Tom Cruise work primarily because of them. Put them in a big brand like Alladin/Disney, MI, Suicide Squad etc and you would see big numbers, but outside of big branded AAA action tentpoles, they are hardly the stars they used to be.

Cruise made MI... He literally produced all the 6 movies so far and 2 more upcoming. Without him there is no MI. He made his own brand. 

Valkyrie  (2008) - $200m

Knight and Day (2010) - $260m

Jack Reacher (2012) - $220m

Oblivion (2013) - $286m

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - $370m

Yeah, all big brands and top directors only. 

By this logic, even Chris Pratt is a huge box office draw right now.

He just started landing big roles. Both GOTG and Jurassic World have been massive. Even Passengers made $300m+ thanks to him. 

Will Smith

Guess you were sleeping entire 2000-2010 decade when he was dominating the market. I, Robot / Hitch / Hancock / Pursuit of Happyness / I am Legend / Bad Boys, etc.. Not even counting Independence Day. He's still top 10 paid actor. He might not have streak like before but he still puts up a show. 

As for Aladdin, nobody liked when Will Smith was linked and were expecting it to bomb big time. In the end, he was the best part of the movie. 

Movies like The Revenant or Once upon a time or The wolf of Wall street have absolutely no business earning more than $400 million in today's Hollywood.

LMAO. Brad Pitt + Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese movies have no business to box office money? 

Literally majority of Leo's movies were made by the big guys. Pretty much all hits were from Scorsese and 2 from Tarantino. He's not filming with mediocre or lesser know guys. Yeah, Revenant, one movie. Big deal. Even that was after Birdman which was made with $18m and won 4 Oscars. Iñárritu isn't rando. 

4 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Anyone who thinks Leo doesn't have star power is nuts 

Nobody thinks that. Leo movies are good but it is delusional if you think Leo doesn't cherry pick and work only with top directors while saying other actors breaking box offices only because they are doing major branded movies. 

5 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

LMAO. Brad Pitt + Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese movies have no business to box office money? 

Literally majority of Leo's movies were made by the big guys. Pretty much all hits were from Scorsese and 2 from Tarantino. He's not filming with mediocre or lesser know guys. Yeah, Revenant, one movie. Big deal. Even that was after Birdman which was made with $18m and won 4 Oscars. Iñárritu isn't rando. 

Wtf are you talking about? Don't you even read what i wrote?

YES, WILL SMITH AND TOM CRUISE ARE MUCH BIGGER STARS OVERALL IF YOU COMPARE THEIR PEAK TIME WITH LEO. I NEVER SAID THAT LEO HAS EVER BEEN BIGGER THAN THEM WHEN THEY WERE AT THEIR PEAK

So, stop referencing movies made 10 years ago. I never said that they were not big stars. Will Smith was THE biggest star in Hollywood at one point and so was Tom Cruise, much bigger than Leo has ever been at his peak. BUT I AM TALKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW. Lots has changed and both of them hardly have the star power that they used to hold. As i said, check any of their adult non branded tentpole entertainer and you would get your answer. Leo is pretty much the only actor right now who still brings in big bucks with those kind of movies.

Also, good job bringing Birdman in the convo where box office is being discussed. Yeah, a movie like The Revenent that literally has nothing going for it apart from Leo himself in terms of box office appeal does more than 600 million, lets chalk it to Birdman's director :lol: While we are at it, lets ignore how much any Will Smith non franchised movies has earned in the past 5 years and lets focus on Suicide Squad, and Alladin. Same goes for Brad Pitt. 

And good job bringing up Scorsese. Now go back and check how much his non Leo movies have earned in the past 20 years, i would wait. Tarantino is a marquee director which brings in big bucks, no doubt on that (its another thing that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a completely different movie than his previous movies with no action or any other box office appealing elements and it shouldn't have opened as big as it did in today's time). But lets not kid ourselves by saying Scorsese is a big box office draw. It is not a coincidence that pretty much every big earning movie of his has Leo in it, and not vice versa. Otherwise, Netflix wouldn't have to come in between and literally save The Irishmen.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Edited by Sach4life

3 hours ago, Sach4life said:

BUT I AM TALKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW

:rofl: RIGHT NOW, both Cruise and Will bring in more than Leo does. Just as always. 

But lets not kid ourselves by saying Scorsese is a big box office draw.

HAHAHA, this is hilarious. Scorsese not a big office draw but QT is marquee. :rofl: 

Otherwise, Netflix wouldn't have to come in between and literally save The Irishmen.

Just shows how clueless you are. 

7 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

:rofl: RIGHT NOW, both Cruise and Will bring in more than Leo does. Just as always. 

HAHAHA, this is hilarious. Scorsese not a big office draw but QT is marquee. :rofl: 

Just shows how clueless you are. 

Keep showing your stupidity. Numbers don't lie. But keep blabbering whatever you want :rofl: 

These are pure facts and read any box office article and that would say the same, but its ok. Ignorance is bliss :lol:

Christopher Nolan's TENET has been delayed, will now hit theaters on July 31, 2020.

Wonder Woman 1984 moved to October 2nd  

Godzilla Vs. Kong moved to May 21, 2021

Matrix 4 moved to April 1, 2022

Edited by Joe Cool

Gulabo Sitabo released directly on Prime Yesterday. 

Saw it. Amazing stuff. Loved it totally. 

Amitabh Bacchan :majesty: Ayushman nailed it. Vijay raaz was fantastic and so was Brijesh.

No vulgarity at all. Can be watched with family. 

Mirza and Begum scenes are simply awesome. 

Do watch :thumbsup:

Gulabo Sitabo released directly on Prime Yesterday. 

Saw it. Amazing stuff. Loved it totally. 

Amitabh Bacchan :majesty: Ayushman nailed it. Vijay raaz was fantastic and so was Brijesh.

No vulgarity at all. Can be watched with family. 

Mirza and Begum scenes are simply awesome. 

Do watch :thumbsup: