Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

Finally watched Doctor Strange 2. Hovering between a 6/10 and 7/10 personally.

Its a Raimi flick alright, I loved certain sequences yet the story on a whole is just really not it. It only works because of its ties with the rest of the MCU. As a standalone this movie would have a lot of issues. As a pure sequel to 2016's original Doctor Strange, it would yet again have issues.

Heavily relies on tie-ins and easter eggs. Don't get me wrong, I love Easter eggs sprinkled in - like the one very early in No Way Home. But fair few set pieces are there just to wow the audience and to make us go 'woohoo' when we see something that wasn't expected - but that basically do not add anything to the plot or the story.

The first movie was definitely better, it def honed in on Strange as a person - and as a superhero later, while this one gives no f**ks about the girl, or any of the other major players and is based on any development previously done in pre-Endgame flicks or WandaVision. I did not really like how the movie ends either, did not feel earned.

Entertaining popcorn flick for sure, but not worth 400 bucks to watch it at the cinemas imo. One would be much better off spending the dollar on Top Gun : Maverick later this month.

Some spoilers now -

Spoiler

Loved Strange re-animating his own corpse, great stuff. Wong said no one has ever made the journey to that mountain, but 5 mins later he says the book was transcribed from the symbols on the walls? Doesn't add up. Wanda just being all crazy and then she sees that her kids are actually afraid of her and she just backs off. Extremely predictable. The girl, America was the worst character. Could not give a f**k about her. Can't control powers but at the end of the movie she is just convinced she can. 

Also the appearances of the 'illuminati' needed to be more epic and grandiose, getting their asses handed to them by Scarlet Witch 3 minutes later just dragged them through the mud. Doesn't make me excited about seeing them again doing 'epic cool things' when they just got 1v4'd. 

15 hours ago, KnackChap said:

It already features Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana; Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan's grandson, Agastya; and Sridevi and Boney's daughter, Khushi in the lead.

team america vomit GIF

5 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Lmfao what a clown, keeps getting arrested almost every week. 

He's batshit crazy. Apparently, his friends and family isn't admitting him for rehab because that'd mean the money would stop.

Posted (edited)

Watched this really good Norwegian movie the other night called The Innocents.

It's about a bunch of little kids discovering that they have superpowers. Of course, one of them turns out to be an evil little sh*t who starts using his powers to hurt people. 

Even though the movie involves kids, it actually gets kinda disturbing with depictions of some pretty realistic violence and horror elements without ever going over the top.

It's really well directed too, albeit very leisurely paced which can turn off some people (I personally liked it).

Ohh and the kids' performances are f**king brilliant! The whole time I was watching the movie I was wondering how they got such young kids to act so damn well.

Would definitely recommend checking it out if you don't mind slow-burn movies.

1cFtMcU.jpg

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Right said:

Seriously, ND should go and beat the crap out of folks at Sony Pictures and show it how its done.

One of the Executive Producers is Neil Druckmann. He was actively involved in the production.

But, I guess, that's not enough considering the powers that be.

13 hours ago, Right said:

Saw Uncharted, what nonsense crap they have created.

Seriously, ND should go and beat the crap out of folks at Sony Pictures and show it how its done.

If we're being honest, the stories and writing of the Uncharted games were always B movie level.

3 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

One of the Executive Producers is Neil Druckmann. He was actively involved in the production.

But, I guess, that's not enough considering the powers that be.

Well, that might explain why the movie sucked.

2 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

If we're being honest, the stories and writing of the Uncharted games were always B movie level.

That's very wrong assessment of what I meant. Noone is expecting a Cohen movie out of this but it should've done justice to the characters which were already established and had a strong persona.

Tom Holland is too wimpy for Drake, Sully is too greedy and clever by half. The mistrust shown between the two throughout the movie, killed it for me. They were supposed to be brothers in arms. 

Worst part is they couldn't bring in even one sequence where Drake is uses his ledge hopping skills, he is doing it since he was a kid and was in an orphanage.

46 minutes ago, Right said:

That's very wrong assessment of what I meant. Noone is expecting a Cohen movie out of this but it should've done justice to the characters which were already established and had a strong persona.

Tom Holland is too wimpy for Drake, Sully is too greedy and clever by half. The mistrust shown between the two throughout the movie, killed it for me. They were supposed to be brothers in arms. 

Worst part is they couldn't bring in even one sequence where Drake is uses his ledge hopping skills, he is doing it since he was a kid and was in an orphanage.

Lol, I got what you meant. All I was saying was that the stories in the games weren't that great either. Good enough for video games, yes, but if the games were movies, they'd be pretty mediocre storywise, just like the movie.

Now, if the TLOU HBO show ends up being mediocre for example, you'd be right to say that ND should beat the crap out of the makers because the writing in the game is brilliant and the story is a masterpiece.

Edited by Kumar123

2 hours ago, Max Pain said:

Neil Druckmann is co-writing TLOU for HBO. I'm sure it'll be very close to the video game. Personally, I think his writing in UC4 sucked a*s.

By the way, the AVATAR 2 hype is REAL! :wOOtjumpy:

Like the top comment in that reddit page says, everyone underestimates Cameron, all the time.

Titanic started slow them blew every record wide open. It took decades and a marvels conclusion movie for 22 (half of which are either trash or redundant anyway) other movies to barely beat it.

And now this, after 13 years everyone says that no one cares and yet it's turning heads. Even if it makes half of the original, it's still a win. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Like the top comment in that reddit page says, everyone underestimates Cameron, all the time.

Titanic started slow them blew every record wide open. It took decades and a marvels conclusion movie for 22 (half of which are either trash or redundant anyway) other movies to barely beat it.

And now this, after 13 years everyone says that no one cares and yet it's turning heads. Even if it makes half of the original, it's still a win. 

Yup. Directors like Cameron or Ridley Scott are once a generation legends. Always always always hyped for their movies. f**k the haters. 

• Like 5