Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

On 8/4/2022 at 12:59 AM, STICK3Rboy said:

Prey debuts at 98% on RT with 43 reviews and an avg. rating of 7.8

Goddamn, I can't believe we're finally getting what looks like a good Predator movie after all these f**king years!

Hyped!

do i need to watch the previous movies? have never watched any of these prey/predator movies 

2 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

do i need to watch the previous movies? have never watched any of these prey/predator movies 

Prey is a standalone movie. So you don't need to have watched any of the previous ones.

BUT

You're really doing yourself a huge disservice by not watching the original Predator. It's an iconic movie at this point and an absolute must-watch.

Just drop everything you're doing and go watch it already!

Also, people used to crap on Predator 2 a lot, but it's been getting some love recently. I think it's a lot of fun and unlike anything that comes out these days.

So give that a shot too when you can.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

You havent watch the OG movie??? You better correct that or else

Arnold Schwarzenegger Entrance GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

24 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Also, people used to crap on Predator 2 a lot, but it's been getting some love recently. I think it's a lot of fun and unlike anything that comes out these days.

So give that a shot too when you can.

Agreed

also switching from a actual jungle to the concrete jungle with a predator that is a bit more 'angry' that usual was a good change.

FYI, there is a breadcrumb in PREY to references both movies apparently

Prey was okay. 

It wasn't as intense or as thrilling as I was hoping for it to be. Maybe my expectations were too high after reading the glowing reviews.

It's still a decently enjoyable flick though and has a couple of cool action scenes in the second half. And since it's a "stripped down to the basics" movie, it has pretty much zero fluff.

The CGI was pretty rough, but I didn't mind it too much.

Downloading the Comanche dubbed version now just to see if it makes any difference. 

8 hours ago, Snake said:

also switching from a actual jungle to the concrete jungle with a predator that is a bit more 'angry' that usual was a good change.

Yup. It's kinda hard to describe but I loved the whole violent and sleazy vibe of the movie. 

I watched it for the first time back when I was a kid, and I actually found it to be more disturbing than the original.

8 hours ago, Snake said:

FYI, there is a breadcrumb in PREY to references both movies apparently

Yeah, it's pretty well done (especially the reference to Pred 2).

f**k, prey was awesome. they were right when they said its the best since the og predator. 9/10

Fantastic pacing and intense scenes back to back. Predator is a killing machine and the main character is smart.  Both shine

Also The sound of his weapons have been updated, got the metallic. feel you will know when you see it. 

Prey, thought it was pretty good, second best imo right next to the original. ~8.5/10.

+ Neatly packed story, good pacing and no BS filler. 

+ Lead actress was excellent.

+ Some very unique kills.

+ Environment is a big plus, glad they didn't go for the urban route again.

+ Sound effects and score were very good.

- CG is meh sometimes. 

- Not a fan of the predator design for this one, but guess they had to devolve it since it takes place 300years before the original.

- Some of the gory scenes are intentionally off focus, or uses wide shot :/

Edited by gecko89

Watched PREY, really good movie. Loved the new predator design as it looks more feral than its counterpart in other movies. Also they did a great job with the devolution of classic weapons like the combistick and plasmacaster, even the cloak is not as good as the jungle hunter had.

The actress was also pretty good , but most of the other characters were undercooked and were just cannon fodder to be ganked by the predator.

They also subverted expectations with a few key Predator ideas which was cool to see and they also breadcrumb’d the first 2 movies which was great.

Not too bothered with the CG which I thought was decent enough, probably they did their best considering the budget. Gotta give props to the clean visual and audio design.

All in all, it’s a 8 ripped out spines out of 10 for me, hopefully the make another one with samurais or ninjas

13 hours ago, gecko89 said:

- Not a fan of the predator design for this one, but guess they had to devolve it since it takes place 300years before the original.

I liked the mandibles. The eyes were a little goofy though.

They apparently thought of this Predator as being a different breed from a different hemisphere of the planet. Pretty interesting.

13 hours ago, gecko89 said:

- Some of the gory scenes are intentionally off focus, or uses wide shot :/

Yeah, I was disappointed with that. I wanted more gratuitous, over-the-top violence considering it's a straight-to-streaming movie :\

3 hours ago, Snake said:

All in all, it’s a 8 ripped out spines out of 10 for me, hopefully the make another one with samurais or ninjas

Man, I was really hoping they would show a human spine ripping shot.

Spoiler

Was expecting it to be done on Taabe. Even if it was done off-screen, the Predator carrying his skull and spine as a trophy would've been so impactful and memorable.

Instead there was just a weak killing blow and even that was off-screen :|

Edited by STICK3Rboy

17 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

They apparently thought of this Predator as being a different breed from a different hemisphere of the planet.

Ok, that makes more sense. Just like the Predators in the Adrien Brody film.

1 hour ago, STICK3Rboy said:

They apparently thought of this Predator as being a different breed from a different hemisphere of the planet. Pretty interesting.

Hide contents

Yeah , there are different species as per yatuja lore , with their own hierarchy