Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

7 minutes ago, broksindri said:

Am i the only one who likes to watch 2D over 3D ,

Reasons:

• 2D is very cheap
  • 2D image quality is very sharp.. crystal clear
  • 3D causes eye strain
  • there are like handful of 3d effects built in, maximum times 3d only means text or billboards kinda stuff pops out a bit
  • No matter what premium theatre i try i don't find 3D anything extra ordinary as ppl consider it
  • No wonder 3D tech is dead, some years ago like in 2010 there were 3d tvs and monitors

I am with you on this. Given an option I ways choose 2d.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:50 PM, broksindri said:

Am i the only one who likes to watch 2D over 3D ,

Reasons:

• 2D is very cheap
  • 2D image quality is very sharp.. crystal clear
  • 3D causes eye strain
  • there are like handful of 3d effects built in, maximum times 3d only means text or billboards kinda stuff pops out a bit
  • No matter what premium theatre i try i don't find 3D anything extra ordinary as ppl consider it
  • No wonder 3D tech is dead, some years ago like in 2010 there were 3d tvs and monitors

Yes now for most movies i look for 2D shows only

Watched Avatar 2

Found it better than the first one, story while simple, is not as basic as the first one.

CG and visuals are top of the line, Cameron proves once again he is a master of his art.

First act was good, second was better, third act was freaking incredible.

Went to IMAX screen, didn't notice any frame rate changes, guess it must have been non-HFR version.

3 Hour runtime was gone like a breeze.

Also, Cameron knows how to add in tension, as in anyone could die, something that most big budget movies (especially comic book movies) suffer from.

I'd give it ~8.5/10. Looking forward to Avatar 3.

Spoiler

-So many emotional moments, last few scenes were gut-wrenching, including the mother Tulkun slaughter in second act.

-Neytiri going rage mode is so freaking good and satisfying, she really would have killed Spider.

-I kinda like Spider's storyline, he wouldn't have saved Quaritch if not for him giving up when Neytiri threatened to kill him. Also knowing she doesn't see him as one of them despite Jake seeing him as an adopted son. Spider's arc in A3 will be interesting.

-Whatever the f**k happened to Unobtainium, sky people just dropped it and are now after Amrita?!

Edited by gecko89
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

no wonder its box office is also down.

Not sure where you are getting this from?!

A2 has almost doubled its US domestic earnings compared to A1 in same timespan.

Add to that A2 made 435Mil globally in first weekend. Heck, even in India its crossed 200Crores already.

Lastly, Cameron's films have unusually long legs (especially compared to Marvel/DC films which lately die off within 2 weeks despite big opening weekends)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Add to that A2 made 435Mil globally in first weekend. Heck, even in India its crossed 200Crores already.

Lastly, Cameron's films have unusually long legs (especially compared to Marvel/DC films which lately die off within 2 weeks despite big opening weekends)

It won't earn 3 billion, hence it is a failure /s

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Cameroon said it should cross 2 billion to make profit:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-2-budget-expensive-2-billion-turn-profit-1235438907/

Disney stock also dropped:

https://screenrant.com/avatar-way-water-box-office-disney-stock-drops/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Yep even $2B looks unlikely at this point despite the movie playing in China unlike most big Hollywood movies post pandemic. It will outgross Top Gun: Maverick at best but No Way Home's gross from last December is way out of reach.

The first movie had novelty of 3D going for it which helped a lot.

Edited by cyberpunk

10 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Yeah, was aware of that but I don't see analysts believing that, even if you factor in marketing on top of budget, you don't need 2Bil to be profitable. Maybe he was talking about 2 and 3 together since they were shot back to back (along with the some of A4).

Either way, it doing worse than A1 so far is false.

As for the Disney stock, A2 being the cause was just speculation by some, it went from 90 to 84 and its already back to 88+

Edited by gecko89

24 minutes ago, cyberpunk said:

Yep even $2B looks unlikely at this point despite the movie playing in China unlike most big Hollywood movies post pandemic. It will outgross Top Gun: Maverick at best but No Way Home's gross from last December is way out of reach.

The first movie had novelty of 3D going for it which helped a lot.

The numbers from China are low is because of COVID. The re-releases could fix that. Also, it's too early to say anything about it surpassing these other movies.

Watched Avatar 2 on Thursday 3pm show. Forgot to post here.

IMAX 3D Inox Mumbai. Theatre was completely packed. Very surprising for Thursday noon show. 

Didn't notice any frame rate changes. I'll be honest half way through the movie I stopped noticing the 3D. Dont know if they pulled back on it or I got engoressed in the movie. One thing I want to give a special shout out to is the sound. Our theatre had 3d sound and I could really feel it in some scenes involving bullets whizzing and then in another with mosquito buzzing. 

Overall I liked the movie a lot. I went in with low expectations seeing reactions here so maybe that helped. The story is simple but the new characters are all really good so I didn't mind the simple story. The youngest kid was really cute and theatre loved it everytime she did something funny.

I didn't like Spider all that much. The Avatars and Navi were all great. 

The 2nd act of the movie really dragged tbh. The "look how cool the water animals are!" part goes on and on and on. I was getting bored. But the 3rd act of the movie more than makes up for it. I can't say more because it spoil people who haven't seen it yet. But there is a moment which the most catharthic moment in the entire movie. I felt like shouting f**k YES.  

There are some really BADASS moments too later on. 

Spoiler

- The whale attacking the hunter ship. What an amazing scene. That entire fight was so freaking amazing. 

- Jake and Neytiri going ham after finding out their kid died. It was like a scene from Aliens. 

- The emotional moments really touched me. Legit felt like crying when the kid died. Also I was convinced either Neytiri or Jake (or both) was going to die. Glad they made it alive. 

- Lol Cameron makes another movie with the climax is happening on a sinking ship 

I'm very much looking forward to Avatar 3 and see what new clan they introduce. The lore of the series is pretty intersting tbh. 

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Didn't notice any frame rate changes. I'll be honest half way through the movie I stopped noticing the 3D. Dont know if they pulled back on it or I got engoressed in the movie. 

Reveal hidden contents

- The whale attacking the hunter ship. What an amazing scene. That entire fight was so freaking amazing. 

- Jake and Neytiri going ham after finding out their kid died. It was like a scene from Aliens. 

- The emotional moments really touched me. Legit felt like crying when the kid died. Also I was convinced either Neytiri or Jake (or both) was going to die. Glad they made it alive. 

- Lol Cameron makes another movie with the climax is happening on a sinking ship 

If the projection is not laser, they might have played the whole movie in 24 fps. Heard that Xenon projectors had trouble doing 48 fps. Also, about the 3D, read somewhere that they didn't make it as 'in your face' as the first movie. 

As a movie, Avatar: The Way of Water is quite boring, stupid, and overall sh*t. Like the first one. However, as a cinematic experience, unlike the first one, this one is aces. Despite its many and obvious flaws, this follow up is an excellent evening out at the theatre. Avatar showed hollywood what was the direction for vfx and creative computer insertions to filmmaking, with TWoW Cameron has taken many steps further which really no one else has done in the last decade or so.  

From the first shot it’s clear how far ahead TWoW is. It’s not just the capability and quality of “graphics”, it’s the creative direction. It’s the things you see, and how splendid they appear to be on that giant IMAX screen. 

I did not notice the HFR issues that @Bird Bird Bird mentioned, and I’m usually quite sensitive to that. FWIW, I watched it in IMAX Citywalk. 

For those of you who are concerned if movie is good, you’re missing the point. The movie is quite sh*t. However, as a cinema experience and spectacle, it is spectacular. Cinemas were created for movies like these. 
Watch it, watch it in IMAX. Take your family, your loved ones, buy the recliner seats, make an event out of it. We only get these once every decade or so. 

Edited by achilles