Movie Discussion Thread Vol. 2

STICK3Rboy

9 hours ago, adity said:

It's a big f**k up. Completely messed the characters. Rorschach is supposed to be an alt right, sexist, stinking homeless psychopath and Snyder turned him into the hero. 

Except Snyder does acknowledge in the commentary that Rorschach is not a hero. Maybe do your own research instead of relying on thinkpieces.

He(Snyder) always try to do things symbolically and then keeps explaining his actions for years and years. Either he is too good of a director (we don't deserve him) and general audience is too dumb to understand his biblical references or he just doesn't know how to properly express himself to the masses. What I can say for sure is, he can copy the scene from a comic panel to a video frame in a great manner. Some of the action sequences in 300 and Watchmen were great and looked straight out of the comic books. BvS was also fine except the final fight with the trio, I heard action was too fast to track when seen in 3D for the first time. I still see him posting cryptic images from MoS, BvS and JL and then explaining what he was trying to do in that particular shot or sequence, even though things could've been conveyed clearly and easily.

In short - If audience have to listen to commentary or look at Google/thinkpieces/articles to understand what is happening, then, the director hasn't done a good job.

I am a huge watchmen fan. Read the comic every year.

But I would not go as far to say the movie was completely shite.. the directors cut is a whole different version.just like the daredevil directors cut. I re watch the movie on multiple occasions too. Some of the scenes in the movie make the comic come to life..like the creation of dr Manhattan, the jail break etc. Give it a second viewing, the directors version and you might just change your mind. 

2 hours ago, adity said:

If you can't properly express what you're trying to do over the course of a 3 hour movie, maybe you aren't that great a director. 

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Zack Snyder's films. The biblical allegories are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of german expressionism most of the symbolism will go over a typical viewer’s head. :P 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, cyberpunk said:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Zack Snyder's films. The biblical allegories are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of german expressionism most of the symbolism will go over a typical viewer’s head. :P 

So subtle, that general audience don't notice and nobody goes out of their way to look for allegories, then he has to post about them - "Look, I made a reference there."

If references and callbacks are done well, like in the case of Logan and The Wolverine, "I see your future, you will die holding your heart in your hand" or something like that, people will discuss and appreciate them but when it is done the Snyder way, nobody even cares.

Just now, adity said:

Why did you say that name? 

SAVE MARTHA! :rofl:

This one f*** up of a reference holds the power to destroy all the credibility of this movie, no matter what cut (Theatrical, Extended, Ultimate or some other yet unseen cuts that will be announced after few DCEU movies fail) you are watching. It is an extreme example of how not to do a reference.

LOL this has gone on long enough. The only thing Snyder is really good at is visualising a scene and making it look good. Everything else is disjointed. If he'd drop the slo-mo overkill maybe he'd be able to fit the "director's cuts" within an acceptable run time. His capabilities as a film-maker are deeply inadequate. 

1 minute ago, achilles said:

LOL this has gone on long enough. The only thing Snyder is really good at is visualising a scene and making it look good. Everything else is disjointed. If he'd drop the slo-mo overkill maybe he'd be able to fit the "director's cuts" within an acceptable run time. His capabilities as a film-maker are deeply inadequate. 

Hopefully in the years he took break from cinema, he has learnt some of the good stuff and his upcoming projects would be better.

9 minutes ago, adity said:

It was actually a reference to the famous quote "What's in a name?" from the Shakespeare play. You uncultured swine just don't get it. BRB making a 20 minute video essay on why it's of the most iconic moments in movie history. After that is a 2 hour video essay on why Watchmen is as great as the Dark Knight trilogy. After that is a 3 hour video essay about how my IQ would increase significantly after an experimental surgery where my brain is swapped with a monkey's. 

while other cult members be like - Jahapanah, tussi great ho, tohfa qubool karo. :spank:

lol, such a long discussion supporting/opposing some movie director who isn't even from your country .... wtf is wrong with you ppl ?  also, expecting comic book movie adaptations to be like citizen kane .... yeah, right, social/political undertones and subtle messages is why ppl go to theaters to watch these  :lol:

also, props to johnny sokko .... one of my fav childhood tv shows .... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

lol, such a long discussion supporting/opposing some movie director who isn't even from your country .... wtf is wrong with you ppl ?  also, expecting comic book movie adaptations to be like citizen kane .... yeah, right, social/political undertones and subtle messages is why ppl go to theaters to watch these  :lol:

also, props to johnny sokko .... one of my fav childhood tv shows .... :thumbsup:

Just because we are Indians, should we limit ourselves to discussing the likes of Ram Gopal Varma and Karan Johar? WTF is that logic? :D

and then in the same comment you present contradictory message, mentioning that Johnny Sokko is one of your fav childhood TV shows, you should've stick to Junior G aur Sonpari or something.

I agree with the social/political undertones and subtle messages part, that was the reason that particular director was being discussed, and in between the banter, we got to make fun of some fanboys, I don't see anything wrong in it.

3 minutes ago, him2anshu said:

Just because we are Indians, should we limit ourselves to discussing the likes of Ram Gopal Varma and Karan Johar? WTF is that logic? :D

and then in the same comment you present contradictory message, mentioning that Johnny Sokko is one of your fav childhood TV shows, you should've stick to Junior G aur Sonpari or something.

I agree with the social/political undertones and subtle messages part, that was the reason that particular director was being discussed, and in between the banter, we got to make fun of some fanboys, I don't see anything wrong in it.

I didn't say you should not watch foreign movies or read foreign books .... just that I found it amusing you're spending so much of energy defending/speaking against some random foreign dude with so much of passion !  But anyway, if you have enuf time on your hands , what can i say .... :lol:

Just now, Ne0 said:

I didn't say you should not watch foreign movies or read foreign books .... just that I found it amusing you're spending so much of energy defending/speaking against some random foreign dude with so much of passion !  But anyway, if you have enuf time on your hands , what can i say .... :lol:

Random Foreign Dude :rofl: that's gonna hurt someone.

It is similar to when people are discussing Trump vs Biden, Nadal vs Federer, Messi vs Ronaldo etc., it started out as Marvel vs DC but someone got b***hurt over that random foreign dude and the topic changed. Actually now that you have mentioned it, I have been sitting idle for these past two days, need to use this time to do something better. ^_^

On 11/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, Ne0 said:

If we are going to only discuss things from this country then Sam better shutdown the forum :lol:

• Like 1