What you bought this week - 2020 edition

Heaven Angel

20 hours ago, Sadpixel said:

8 years of fun gaming experience. Worth it.

8 years and still never gets old. The smoothness is next-level compared to all other aRPG games out there. Can't wait for D4 with all the issues. ?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 5:31 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Turned out better than expected.

Is that a poster, a sketch? Where did you get it from? 

On 2/23/2020 at 6:53 PM, Nathan.Drake said:

Got these in last couple of months. 

How's the tennis game? 

So, I've been wanting to get a larger table for my PC but wifey has been against it since she doesn't like the space getting cluttered. Decided to make some compromises and improvise since I got some extra money from the hackathon we won at work.

1. Moved the PC case next to the TV and consoles and made extra space at the desk.

2. Bought a mounting arm for the monitor amd installed it.

3. I already had the chair(IKEA Flintan) but it wasn't very comfortable for me since it didn't have armrests. Wanted to buy the IKEA Markus but when I tried sitting on the same chair at showroom with the armrest, felt good. So just decided to grab the armrest(IKEA Nominell) and a footrest to go along.

4. Black Mesa came out of early access! Time to run through the entire Half Life story (and plan for a VR, if I can convince wifey and save up ?). 

4. Finished the first two books in the Stormlight Archives. Loved them. Got the third one now. Sanderson is amazing.

IMG-20200311-101014.jpg

IMG-20200311-100913.jpg

IMG-20200311-100905.jpg

Screenshot-20200311-101357.jpg

Screenshot-20200311-101146-01.jpg

Edited by l33tmaniac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

Finished the first two books in the Stormlight Archives. Loved them. Got the third one now. Sanderson is amazing.

Which one did you like more? Oathbringer is amazing, get ready for Dalinar's backstory. 

18 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Which one did you like more? Oathbringer is amazing, get ready for Dalinar's backstory. 

I liked both of them, actually. I initially found Shallan's sections in Words of Radiance to be a tad annoying especially with Jasnah not being around. But eventually warmed up to it. I think the second book did a better job of setting up the world better considering we got to hear Eshonai's side of the story as well (at least a bit). If I think about it, I actually liked the second book better. 

The duel in which Kal jumps in was one of the most exciting bits in the entire book for me. 

Have you read the Mistborn series too? 

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

I liked both of them, actually. I initially found Shallan's sections in Words of Radiance to be a tad annoying especially with Jasnah not being around. But eventually warmed up to it. I think the second book did a better job of setting up the world better considering we got to hear Eshonai's side of the story as well (at least a bit). If I think about it, I actually liked the second book better. 

The duel in which Kal jumps in was one of the most exciting bits in the entire book for me. 

Have you read the Mistborn series too? 

Yes even I found most of Shallan's sections annoying. I prefer to skip Shallan's sections when I re-read the books up until she arrives at the Shattered Plains. 

Well if you found Eshonai exciting get ready. Book 4 is already listed on amazon, pre-orders should start soon. I mean its called Rhythm of War, and so its likely the MC is Venli this time (Eshonai's sister). Dont wanna give away anything, you'll see in Oathbringer. Have you read Warbreaker? If not, don't read OB without reading Warbreaker first. Ideally you should read Warbreaker before WoR itself but give it a read now.

Yes, that duel is one of my favourite parts too, Kal has pretty bad-a*s moments all through Book 1 and Book 2, I have a hard time deciding which one I like better.

In terms of the flashbacks, Oathbringer is an easy fav for me. Dalinar is such a well written character, I was honestly shocked at the depth of the plot.

And yes, I have read Mistborn. Era 1, I mean. The original trilogy. Loved it as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

4. Black Mesa came out of early access! Time to run through the entire Half Life story (and plan for a VR, if I can convince wifey and save up ?). 

Planning to do the same. Its been quite a few years, I haven't "replayed" HL2 and its episodes. Never played the first HL though.

32 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yes even I found most of Shallan's sections annoying. I prefer to skip Shallan's sections when I re-read the books up until she arrives at the Shattered Plains. 

Well if you found Eshonai exciting get ready. Book 4 is already listed on amazon, pre-orders should start soon. I mean its called Rhythm of War, and so its likely the MC is Venli this time (Eshonai's sister). Dont wanna give away anything, you'll see in Oathbringer. Have you read Warbreaker? If not, don't read OB without reading Warbreaker first. Ideally you should read Warbreaker before WoR itself but give it a read now.

Yes, that duel is one of my favourite parts too, Kal has pretty bad-a*s moments all through Book 1 and Book 2, I have a hard time deciding which one I like better.

In terms of the flashbacks, Oathbringer is an easy fav for me. Dalinar is such a well written character, I was honestly shocked at the depth of the plot.

And yes, I have read Mistborn. Era 1, I mean. The original trilogy. Loved it as well. 

Awesome man! Let me see if I can buy Warbreaker. I've read all the Mistborn books as well (including Wax & Wayne series that have been released till now), but find Roshar to be a tad more interesting. Sanderson is keeping the fantasy genre alive especially considering Martin and Patrick Rothfuss don't seem to be anywhere close to finishing their books. Any other recommendations? I like Joe Abercrombie's works as well.

Ooh yess I've only read the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, again fantastic. The best introduction one can get to Grim Dark Fantasy.

You're right on those accounts, Patrick Rothfuss sure takes a lot of time. However, Name of the Wind is one of my favourite fantasy novels. Really loved it. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories with a Chosen One trope. Wise Man's fear is a little slow, but great nonetheless. I could see the Kingkiller Chronicles being made into a TV series some day, if Rothfuss actually picked up the pen.

I haven't watched GoT and don't wanna read the ASOIAF books before they're done to be honest with you. Sorry GoT lovers. Considering how much time George RR Martin is gonna take, its likely I won't ever read the books. Will watch the show over the summer though.

Do read Warbreaker, its really important before reading Oathbringer. Its a standalone Cosmere novel, shouldn't take too much time.

As far as other fantasy works, I liked the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo. The whole heist and the crew is crazy. The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. (Haven't finished the whole series). The best bro-mance I've ever read for sure. Royce and Hadrian, master thieves and the coolest duo. The Gentleman Bastards Trilogy by Scott Lynch. The first book is the Lies of Locke Lamora, you may have heard of it. Really underrated, its a twisted Robin Hood sorta concept. Not exactly but I loved the first book, so at least read that one.

If you notice, all 3 recs are something about thieving and heists, but the fantasy genre has a lot of that, so don't blame me.

I've recently purchased the Scythe Trilogy by Neil Shusterman. Its really well-loved, I haven't read it myself yet. The general plot is that Earth has solved all problems to humanity. Death isn't even a thing anymore. So overpopulation is essentially crippling us, and these individuals known as Scythes are assigned to, well, kill people. It discusses if its morally okay, strategic vs random depopulation, its seems really interesting to me.

Another series, that needs no introduction is the Lightbringer Chronicles by Brent Weeks. They're pretty thick volumes though, with a pretty cool magic system, that involves just a little bit of middle grade physics. 

If you liked GoT, you would possibly also enjoy the Falling Kingdoms Saga. Similar in concept, different in execution, this series by Morgan Rhodes will have you gripped. Again, this is a series I haven't finished yet, but that is because all the paperbacks aren't available online, and I'm a collector of sorts. You bought SA on kindle (I bought paperbacks, and Kindle editions because Stormlight Archives is honestly worth it), but for this I'd recommend going with Kindle.You can keep reading, and the kindle editions are quite affordable. It does have more books, than your usual series, but the its lesser in terms of the page count so should be just fine. 

I'm sure you know about the Witcher books. The game is obviously fantastic, but the books are pretty good too. I've only read the first two, as I borrow these from a friend. 

Make sure you check the reading order for these, the short stories are the best place to start. 

The whole planet really loves Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (later completed by our very own Brandon Sanderson). But its 15 volumes (and thicc af), and not having read it myself, I'd say go to the Book Thread. @roun90 has read the books, and there was some discussion you could have a look at in that thread. Its too much of a commitment for me at the moment.

Also, there are the classics. Lord of the Rings. I like it, and I acknowledge Tolkien as the daddy of fantasy, but I just feel modern fantasy authors are better. Personal opinion. I'm sure you read them, or seen the movies so this doesn't really matter.

There you go :), I recommended modern authors because that is what I read myself, and since you liked Sanderson I thought these might interest you.

Spoiler alert, Sanderson is still my favourite, and I'm stupid excited for Rhythm of War this year. 

• Like 1