What you bought this week - 2020 edition

Heaven Angel

My mom had been against buying the Alexa for a couple of months since I mentioned the thing. She sighed and let me get it finally on Prime day, though she said its more useless clutter in the house.

Now here I am, changing my lights (I already had 3 smart bulbs) with voice commands and having fun with the music.

I think my mom was getting a bit jealous there lol, she asked me when we can expect another sale 

Glad I bought the Twin Pack. I didn't tell her I had two of these :P Had a feeling this would happen. 

20 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

I've held off on buying it because everyone I ask says it lies unused after couple of weeks and just collects dust :mellow:

Yeah I thought so too.

But I've had these smart lights for more than 4 months now. And the bulb in my nightstand is at least a year and a half old. 

I find myself opening the Wipro app everyday on at least 5 occasions to switch on, switch off, or change the lighting.

Installed the other Echo dot and bulb in my mom's room. She didn't have a bluetooth speaker, but now she can listen to music and doesn't have to get up or click a switch every night to shut the light off. 

Not sure how much I'll be using the other features, but its definitely a plus to control the lights in my home. I keep my phone in a different room while I work, this makes it a lot easier. 

1 hour ago, dylanjosh said:

I've held off on buying it because everyone I ask says it lies unused after couple of weeks and just collects dust :mellow:

Bought a Google mini last diwali. Don't think I've used It more than 20 times. :P

2 hours ago, kkapoorr said:

How are you comfortable with something sitting in your house and recording? I don't trust when they all say that the speaker doesn't record until triggered...

You know your smartphone can also do this right?

Not supporting this peak post-industrial meme device but still.

This alexa, google copy alexa, apple copy alexa, all these devices are literally useless, an answer for a question that doesn't exist.

Edited by PhantomShade

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Bought a Google mini last diwali. Don't think I've used It more than 20 times. :P

Man I've had mine for two days and I have used it more than 20 times lol. 

Are you not using any other smart appliances with it? 

On 8/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, icestrok said:

Thank You! Cost around 2.5 without monitor and peripherals.

Specs:

* Ryzen 3900x

* MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

* Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming 11Gb - OC

* Gskil Trident Neo 16GB

* 500 GB Samsung Evo 970 nvme M.2

* 2TB WD Blue HDD

* Aorus 850W PSU

* Asus Gt 501 Tuf Cabinet

* Aorus 360 Liquid AIO

monitor?

10 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Man I've had mine for two days and I have used it more than 20 times lol. 

Are you not using any other smart appliances with it? 

I have my TV, AC, a smart lamp and speaker connected with it. But I think it's just a matter of habit. Forget to speak the commands, and almost invariably use the remote. 

2 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

You know your smartphone can also do this right?

Not supporting this peak post-industrial meme device but still.

This alexa, google copy alexa, apple copy alexa, all these devices are literally useless, an answer for a question that doesn't exist.

Agreed. My Alexa echo plus speaker is catching dust. It does't pick up my local language of Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam. Always plays some old English songs. It has issues being used as bluetooth speaker with windows too. .

Plus now I get more ads about things I speak of than ever before.

Just now, kmkaks said:

Agreed. My Alexa echo plus speaker is catching dust. It does't pick up my local language of Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam. Always plays some old English songs. It has issues being used as bluetooth speaker with windows too. .

Plus now I get more ads about things I speak of than ever before.

I don't use it as bluetooth speaker. My family primarily speaks English so it works for now.

When I need music, I say the name of the song as we listen to mostly instrumental songs, or popular stuff.

Plus, the primary concern was to control the lights in our home. 

5 minutes ago, kkapoorr said:

These smart bulbs that are available these days like the Wipro one, how bright are they really? I have normal 9W LED bulbs at home, will the smart ones match it?

Yeah. The 9w to 9w match. 

We generally use 15w+, and thus not a fan of the smart bulbs. Have some 9w Wipros lying around since nobody wants it in their room. :P

2 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I don't use it as bluetooth speaker. My family primarily speaks English so it works for now.

When I need music, I say the name of the song as we listen to mostly instrumental songs, or popular stuff.

Plus, the primary concern was to control the lights in our home. 

Yes, I agree about the lights though. Iv named 3 lights at home and its fun to call lights by name.

My bathroom light is called Legolas:dance:

• Haha 1